Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

What is the best battery / charger best for summit ?

I am a nitro nut . I have the two tmaxx's and the jato. one for speed , one for bashing/ jumping . My son has the stampede . the batteries don't last long in the stampede . I seen the summit and wanted one . I will be getting one but I wanted to know what is the best batteries for it and also a charger as due to mine only charges one batt at a time . need to know mah also . Thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobigorstayhome
    I am a nitro nut . I have the two tmaxx's and the jato. one for speed , one for bashing/ jumping . My son has the stampede . the batteries don't last long in the stampede . I seen the summit and wanted one . I will be getting one but I wanted to know what is the best batteries for it and also a charger as due to mine only charges one batt at a time . need to know mah also . Thanks
    Hi for a dual battery charger for the price I like my mrc 977 PRO it charges 2 batteries at one time and also does lipos but only at a 2.5 amp rate.
    Duratrax makes a dual charger that is good but you can't charge lipo packs.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    Well, The best batteries will depend on how much you are willing to spend. I mean if you willing to spend $100+ on one battery then Lipo is the way to go but if not there are some other good choices anywhere from $40 to $70.

As far as chargers, I also like the MRC 977. It is a good charger that will charge 2 batteries at once. They only thing I don't like is the fact that there is no memory so you have to adjust it for the batteries every time. I also use the Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra. I like it but it only chargers one battery at a time.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Enthusiast

dynamite charger?

Does dynamite not have a charger that charges two packs at one time ?
    and does it charge the lipo batts ?

RC Qualifier
    Does dynamite not have a charger that charges two packs at one time ?
    and does it charge the lipo batts ?
    Yes they do:
    http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4033

But it does not charge lipo.

RC Qualifier
    i dont belive that dynamite charger linked above but you might want to double check on that...

RC Qualifier
    well if you are planning on staying with electric get a charger that can do lipo. if money is not a problem get a hyperion 606i or the duo
    Emaxx 3905 FS in the market place.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-Bobby
    i dont belive that dynamite charger linked above but you might want to double check on that...
    Huh?

RC Competitor
    Onyx 280 is a good charger

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou
    Onyx 280 is a good charger

Mitch, It is an onyx 240. NOT a 280. nice try though
    E-Maxx 3905 w Novak 6.5/ VXL Rusty/VXL pede/ slash

RC Champion
    Also note that the Onyx 240 and the Dynamite Twin Peak will not charge Lipo batteries.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

The Dynamite Twin Peak is a decent charger. I used to have one, and it served me well over the 4ish years that I owned it. With that said, most high-end battery builders recommend getting a charger with an adjustable delta peak setting- something that the Twin Peak (and the Onyx 240) does not have.

I would recommend the Duratrax Onyx 230 charger. It is only a single battery charger, but it will charge all of the popular battery types that we have today (Ni-Mh, Li-Po, LiMn, Li-Ion, and even Ni-Cds). I currently own two of them, and they are great chargers for the money. I have an unfinished review on my website here.

As for batteries, many people will probably recommend SPC or Promatch, as those are the two popular battery builders these days.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast

run times with lipo Vs. other ?

I am not into racing as much as just bashing / jumping . Do I need to go with the lipo batts ? I am a newbie to electric as mentioned , so what kinda run times will I get with lipo compared to the other batteries . Am I wasting my time getting the other type of batteries . I don't mind spending extra for the more expensive batteries, but It looks like I will have to get two chargers for the lipo. What kinda run times are they getting with the maxx/revo trucks with the other batteries ?

RC Qualifier
    You'd probably get about 10 min. of run time with Nimh batteries. With Lipo, you would be getting at least 30 min. of run time, depending on the capacity.

RC Champion
    ....................but It looks like I will have to get two chargers for the lipo. What kinda run times are they getting with the maxx/revo trucks with the other batteries ?
    Not necessarily, The MRC Super brain 977 can charge 2 lipo batteries at the same time but don't forget that you will need a lipo balancer as well. Lipo batteries can give you a long running time depending what Mah rating you get. The higher the Mah the longer the run time. The only problem with running lipos in the Summit is that the ESC does not have a lipo cut-off sensor. So you may need to get external sensor as well. Though, going to the Lipo batteries sounds expensive at first but I think they are worth the investment in the long run.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Enthusiast
    What would be a NiMH battery for this car

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Medicated
    You'd probably get about 10 min. of run time with Nimh batteries. With Lipo, you would be getting at least 30 min. of run time, depending on the capacity.
    I'll bet good Nimh packs will give more than 10 minutes of runtime.

RC Racer
    I just put a set of energ 4600 nimhs in my emaxx with twin 550 motors and got 25 minutes run time. That was alot of hard running. Now i got a set of energ 4600 nimh's for the wet stuff, and got a set of 8000 lipo's for the dry stuff. Cant wait. I would think that with that 770 motor and a good set of nimh's a guy could at least get the same run time. I don't know thou. Anxious to find out.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hal001
    I just put a set of energ 4600 nimhs in my emaxx with twin 550 motors and got 25 minutes run time. That was alot of hard running. Now i got a set of energ 4600 nimh's for the wet stuff, and got a set of 8000 lipo's for the dry stuff. Cant wait. I would think that with that 770 motor and a good set of nimh's a guy could at least get the same run time. I don't know thou. Anxious to find out.
    Does this mean that lipo batteries should not get wet . I never thaught of getting the batteries wet because again I use nitro, and nitro and water is not a good combination . This is another question of the different batteries ,is there one more for the new water proof summit/ revo /maxx ? I know that the summit is built to go into water so that's one place I will see how it works .

RC Racer
    I am no lipo expert, just got em in the mail actually. But everything i have read say's no. Don't get any water on lipo batteries. So i thought i would get em for long run times when it's dry, and keep my nimh's for when it's wet.

RC Champion
    Yes, it is true. Lipos will get ruined if you get them wet but there is a way to prevent them from getting wet as well. You can get a can of Platidip(or equivalent) and dip the ends of the batteries(the open ends of the shrink wrap). This will seal them from moisture. I know a few boat guys that have done this and sank their boats but never have had a problem. I also have done it with mine and never had a problem.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

I was told when asking a popular battery builder about the question of water and Li-Po batteries to put the pack in a baggy to keep the water out.

Ni-Mh cells need to be dried off, too, otherwise the cells will corrode.

RC Enthusiast

nimh batteries

What are the best nimh batteries . It seem like I may be leaning toward them . I think if I might get a battery wet , it should be the cheaper one. both batteries must produce the same power , The lipo just lasts longer (longer run times) . Is that a true statement or false ? Yes I have read the ways to try to keep batteries dry , but for that chance of getting any moisture in there , I might go with the nimh ones. But still undecided at this point .

The two companies I linked to above carry what is considered to be the "best" packs according to many forum members. I would have a look at them. The nice thing about Li-Po batteries is that they are so light, so they improve the power to weight ratio.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool
    The two companies I linked to above carry what is considered to be the "best" packs according to many forum members. I would have a look at them. The nice thing about Li-Po batteries is that they are so light, so they improve the power to weight ratio.
    It's more then just the power to weight ratio. Power to weight ratio is very important, especially in trucks like the E-maxx, and E-revo. With brushless systems they are almost a requirement. Lipos have a 'C' rating, which determines what the battery can give in a continuous form. Then there is the bust rating, which is usually what a cell can "burst" out in 10 seconds or so. Aside from that, Lipos don't really have peaks like NiMh and Nicads do. They can be charged and in a couple of days still pack a ton of punch. Where as NiMh's really perform best right off the charger when the pack is at it's peak. When It comes down to it, Lipo is lighter, faster, holds it's voltage better, and 100% better with brushless systems. Price and the life of the pack aside, Lipo is simply superior. (in my opinion)
    Brushless Rustler, brushless Stampede.

RC Enthusiast

lipo used for brushless !

I don't plan to go brushless with the summit . I like to keep everything original as possible ( unless I am having the same part break time after time ) . I know that if I wanted to go brushless that lipo batteries are the way to go . lipo would be the way to go if I am competting in a race and wanted to get everything out of it . Saying that if I use lipo is this going to shorten the life out of the 775 titan ? I would like to get peek performance like everyone else, but also like to make the truck last too . So is lipo batteries going to burn out the speed controler / motor ? Remember I am new at the electric models .

RC Qualifier
    Thats a good question- if the 775 is a reliable motor and built well, then in principle using lipos wont have any detrimental effect; you will be able to squeeze maximum speed and power from the motor and have longer runtimes to boot.

If however the 775 is more like a larger version of the 550s (in every way imaginable), then using lipo may just allow the motor to fail that much quicker; there is no denying that there is something iffy about the titans of late.

The esc will be fine though with lipos, so long as you follow the LVC advice; install one, lol.

I think using quality 7 cell nimh packs would be easier alround though in truth...
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    ... there is no denying that there is something iffy about the titans of late.
    I think the incredible capacities of today's batteries (LiPo and some Nimh packs) allows runtimes that overwhelm the heat dissipating capabilities of the Titans, hence the overheating and failing motors. Stopping every 8 to 10 minutes and allowing the motors to cool would eliminate many of the failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    I think the incredible capacities of today's batteries (LiPo and some Nimh packs) allows runtimes that overwhelm the heat dissipating capabilities of the Titans, hence the overheating and failing motors. Stopping every 8 to 10 minutes and allowing the motors to cool would eliminate many of the failures.
    Makes sense.Most of the guys I race spec class with are still on their original Titan.Those guys are the kind that only run their trucks on race day.The motors stay clean and only run 6 minutes at a time.I can't stand to only run my Slash on race day,so I'm on my 4th Titan and counting

All the mud puddles I hit at full speed probably aren't helping my motor life either

RC Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=The Oracle

If however the 775 is more like a larger version of the 550s (in every way imaginable), then using lipo may just allow the motor to fail that much quicker; there is no denying that there is something iffy about the titans of late.
    I think using quality 7 cell nimh packs would be easier alround though in truth...[/QUOTE]
    I think your right , if you want the motor to last a very long time then go with good nimh batteries so your not maxxing out the motor all of the time . overloading the motors all of the time will shorten the life of the motor, so using a good nimh batteries would keep the motor at a cooler temp then using the high performance lipo ones . traxxas rates the voltage on there speed controler and motor but there not giving a amp rating . This may be a good question for traxxas to handle . Unless I overlooked the info that I have read over !!

RC Enthusiast

duo nimh and lipo charger?

Is there any charger out there that can charge two nimh batteries at once but also charge lipo batteries ?

Now I dont mean all at once .

RC Champion
    Is there any charger out there that can charge two nimh batteries at once but also charge lipo batteries ?

Now I dont mean all at once .
    Yeah, there is. As I had mentioned in my first post. The MRC Super brain 977 can charge 2 batteries at once. It can charge 2 Nimh or 2 Lipos at the same time. The only problem is that when charging Lipos with it is that the amperage will be limited. So it will just take a little more time than a "strictly" Lipo charger.

MRC Super Brain 977
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Enthusiast

mrc super brain 977

Thanks Big Daddy Maxx ,

I looked at all of the chargers that was posted but I must of missed the information when I was looking at the super brain. I typed in the charger mrc super brain 977 on the internet and got some views on it . most of the views are saying that there was some battery damage on this type of charger. I think it was human error on there part . I think if your using your charger properly that it should work just fine . Watch your settings when charging etc. This charger looks like the one I will go with. I think I have made up my mind with the batteries too, I will go with the nimh at first and in the future I can always go to lipo if I have too. With going to a new charger I can charge both . The charger I have now works fine for one battery but This charger can charge two at a time and do lipo's too. Thanks again BDM...

A single 775 will give longer runtimes than two 550 titans, if the traxxas one is the mabuchi motor as the titans are then when properly broken in the power will be more than the two titans and the motor has plenty more torque. And you can run it better on two six cells than the titans.

I used the mabuchi 775 motor on my emaxx for a while, here is a link
    http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS775-144
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    Not a problem GOBIG. Most of the views I have read about the battery damage was because they were using the old 969 that have been updated to the 977. Which has a limited ability because of the power source. I can tell you that I have had the 977 for a few years now and I have not had any problems with charging my NIMHs or LiPo's with it. The only thing is that you just have to remember to balance the LiPo during or after the charge with a good balancer.
    I'm Baaaaaaack!

RC Qualifier
    What are the best nimh batteries . It seem like I may be leaning toward them . I think if I might get a battery wet , it should be the cheaper one. both batteries must produce the same power , The lipo just lasts longer (longer run times) . Is that a true statement or false ? Yes I have read the ways to try to keep batteries dry , but for that chance of getting any moisture in there , I might go with the nimh ones. But still undecided at this point .
    Hi .I'm a total newcomer to electric trucks , what batteries did you end up with ? I want to go nimh (they rarely go off like the one on youtube) Thanks

RC Champion
    OK NiMH .... get an Onyx 240 and it will charge 2 NiMH packs safely at the same time. Id personally get two cell pro multi 4s as they can do a lot more and will serve you well for lipos in the future.... or the cell pro 10S!!

GPs, Intellect are great cells. SPChttp://www.spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=14 energy 4600s are another good choice.

Personally I have been using lipos for over three years and would not consider anything else ...... but that's me!

RC Champion
    You could call John the battery Guy http://www.fastrcbatteries.com as he is nice to talk too and has a lot of info on batteries!

RC Racer
    Dude, just go to maxamps website, buy the combo for some savings, you get a duo charger that can charge just about anything, will do 10 amps each side, my friend has this combo for his son, and he can run for 45 minutes pretty much flat out. If playing in the hills and some bashing, about an hour and a half. The batteries are 8000mah, and charging at 1c=8amps, takes about an hour or less. Buy something good and have no regrets, you get what you pay for most times, plus there packs are water proof. Just make sure you buy a lvc from them as well to get a low voltage cut off as to not wreak you packs. Me and his dad, both have a monster mamba systems in our's and get about the same run time, but with twice the performance. Just ask for the traxxas ends for the charging ends and battery ends when you order. Or give em a call and tell em what you want, they lot's of times give discounts for phone orders.

RC Racer
    I saw an add on rctech for the maxamp lipos.
    dont need LVC
    water proof
    cant overcharger
    and a bunch of other stuff.
    SMC also has great batteries.