RC Enthusiast

1/16 MERV, going Brushed => Brushless, heat?

I got a very good deal on a BNIB brushed MERV (the 7105) just after Christmas. So I decided to to take the money I saved up front, and spend it on a better radio/rx (the Spektrum DX3c & SR300). Unfortunately the SR300 didn't work with the stock XL 2.5 esc, so I bought the Velineon combo with the VXL3m esc and 380 brushless motor. Hey, I was bound to go brushless eventually.

Stupid me didn't realize that I also needed a new motor plate, motor mount, and gear cover to complete the upgrade, but these arrived today and will be installed once I get home from work. So my newly vxl'd MERV should be running tonight.

For the time being, I will be running with a pair of 1200 mah nihm batteries in parallel. I will also be running the stock (since it started brushed) 25 spur/50 pinion gears.

Based on your experience - do you think I will need to worry about ESC and motor temps with this setup? Right now it's winter here, and below freezing most of the time. Am I good to go without any enhanced cooling? How about in the summer? Thanks in advance for any advice.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    25 pinion and 50 spur should be ok... both summer and winter.
    Just watch temps your first few runs.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I'll second that. I've been running a 25/50 on 2s and 3s with no problems. Hard bashing too.
    addicted much....

RC Enthusiast
    Cool, thanks guys. What do you use to monitor temps - IR thermo guns?

Also - I just got in from the first run with the brushless Installed. With only the stock nihm, it's still amazingly fast. Wow.

RC Qualifier
    Yep, you got it. Ir temp gun. Brushless really is a big difference. I bought a brushed pede and a brushed rusty for my boys for christmas, and my brushless stuff runs circles around em. Lots of fun.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    This is what I use:
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

I use The other temp gauge they offer for 19.99 but I got 20% off and works good so far. My Merv is only getting around 98 in this winter time that's running 30/50 on 2s lipo.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    I use The other temp gauge they offer for 19.99 but I got 20% off and works good so far. My Merv is only getting around 98 in this winter time that's running 30/50 on 2s lipo.
    Do you just do speed runs geared like that? I'll bet that thing flies! Now you got me thinking. Lol
    addicted much....

nope dont do just speed runs lately its been flat yes but i run grass and offroad as well with same gearing and temps are about 140F* on motor and 130 on esc, lipos are about 108-110 tops, i let it cool every 5-10mins for about 3mins then go again. I dont recommend the gearing i am using though mine came stock like that when i bought it back in 2009 it came with 30pinion installed and 23t on the side.

RC Qualifier
    What kida speeds are you getting?
    addicted much....

Not sure as I don't have a radar but I know its got more up than NiMH 1600™ its I think about 30-32. My tires are bald though and in need of desperate replacing now but will be later lol.