Thread: Stock on 3s

RC Enthusiast

Stock on 3s

I went to purchase a lipo battery but my LHS only had 3s in stock. Will my stock truck be ok on this or will I have heat issues or other troubles?

RC Champion
    Thats a ton of power, make sure you follow the manual and the gearing charts to keep the stress of the motor and ESC down.

If you're not use to Lipo power, I would recommend gettin a 2s battery, its going to be a noticable difference over a stock battery for sure!

The tires on that truck are big and the rotating mass is greater than say, a slash(same mechanics and electronics as your stampede). With that in mind, you're going to have far more stress on the drive train and with "More power" like the 3s, you're bound to see drive shaft issues.

"Red"

Yeah driveshafts and the stock bearing adaptor are the things that will not like 3s running. but if you go easy on thr throttle and allow the slipper to take some of the stress off the drivetrain you may be ok and welcome to the forum dude....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman00 View Post
    I went to purchase a lipo battery but my LHS only had 3s in stock. Will my stock truck be ok on this or will I have heat issues or other troubles?
    I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have MIP driveshafts. You'll destroy the stock ones in no time. Other than that, shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't try to run it hard AND long if you haven't added cooling fans yet.

RC Racer
    Second the mip they are a must on 3s. Also clutch will go at some point if you run it hard. Speed is very fun but remember that speed kills I run two 3s packs by the way...

RC Qualifier
    Just run it in training mode until you can beef up the drive line not to mention that you will get great run times that way too.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

All good advice, but where's the fun factor? I'd say warn the new guy then tell him to let it rip! Sure he may blow out the driveshafts or bearings, but that's part of the fun.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have owned several Slash 4WD's (very similar vehicle) and a Stampede 4WD since it first came out and I can honestly say 3S LiPo never killed a drive component prematurely in any of them. Yes, I have overheated the motor and ESC by running on 3S for long periods of time in a mowed lawn and I did eventually twist off a rear slider, but the truck had a lot of time on it before this occurred. I think it is highly unfair when people "warn" a beginner to not run the vehicle before making upgrades. If many of you had been involved with RC 25 years ago, you would see that these vehicles are extremely tough and hold up very well if a little discretion is used during operation.

RC Qualifier
    Will my stock truck be ok on this or will I have heat issues or other troubles?
    I think a warning is fair advise given the question, but then again they are fun when you let them loose but be prepared to start fixing
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

Get some mips or teknos or the new traxxas steel cvds and the alu bearing adaptor and revo slipper jobs done and watch your motor and esc temps and fans would not go a miss as well....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys for all of the replies and the info. The power is awesome and discression is the key.I did run it today on the3s and the probelm I see right now is the heat on the motor and esc. Think I need to backup to the 2s to be safe. It will be a week or so before this can happen. until then-this thing is just to much fun=do the masses think a couple of more runs will kill my motor or esc?

RC Racer
    Get a temp gun ASAP to know what's going on for sure. Around 40 bucks at Lhs

Andrew

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks AZAD-I will pick one up.If I go to the 2s will I have toworry about the temps then?

Thanks AZAD-I will pick one up.If I go to the 2s will I have toworry about the temps then?
    YES!!! That's the thing about it, you'll break, overheat and tear up things on 2s AND 3s so why bother limiting yourself? That's the way I see it. Ok I'm climbing down off my high horse now. Lol
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    OK....now I'm really confused. took my truck out today on 3s,did not run it hard,a few full power starts and then ran it around the driveway just driving.It lasted about 12 min then shut down. the esc was flashing red slowly. Manual says low voltage-battery shows 12.2v on volt ohm meter,but motor was hot as well. Why would it get that hot in that short of time driving it that way?

RC Competitor
    Hay I went from nimh straight to 3s lipo and no longer had any fun the truck was just stupid powerful. Ended taking back and getting 2s lipo and is better control and still more power. In time I will get a 3s once I have upgraded parts with brakes

Just stupid on 3s and it gets really really hot mine I couldn't even touch

RC Enthusiast
    OK-here is an update.Went back to LHS and bought a 9tooth pioion gear and a 2s lipo. Got home charged the battery and installed. Guess what-no more heating issues.Did not change the gear as this seems to be doing ok.So either the 3s lipo is has a problem or the truck can't handle it.