RC Racer

My thoughts on four traxxas trucks

I've been in this hobby for years now and thought this thread could help someone looking to buy a traxxas truck for the first time. The trucks I will be discussing will be the rustler, the slash, the slayer and the e revo. I'm posting them up in the order I would rank them from one to four. The first one being my favorite.
    Here's my rustler

I like the rustler over all my other trucks because its as fast as the e revo and almost as durable as the slayer. Such a fun truck. Can bash this thing in snow and mud and launch it off anything.
    Comming in second would have to be the slayer

This was my first rc and taught me so much about the hobby. 2013 will be the fouth year running this rc and the only mods I've had to do were a new set of tires, metal 14mm hexes, slayer pro aarms, a glow plug here and there, and rpm steering knuckles. This truck flies and is tough as a tank.
    Comming in third is the slash

I've put so much money into this truck over the past two years I can't belive it. So many times I've said I'm going to sell it but id take such a loss on it I just keep it. And yet I continue to mod it. Smh
    Comming in last is the e revo

This may come as a suprise to some but this thing has just been a pain. So much money to buy and then so many mods just to keep it from breaking every run.
    Anyone have any questions about either truck feel free to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    ERBE last? Hmmm

Slayer 2nd? Hmmm
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    The slayer has treated me good for years. It introduced me to the hobby and made me really appreciate my electric trucks once I switched over. Could have bought 4 slayers for the money I have into the e revo and it still breaks every other time I take it out. Overall cost of ownership came into play while making my list. The erevo is cool when its running but when it only runs for a few minutes everytime I take it out it just gets old.

Last edited by 1911kevin; 01-11-2013 at 12:43 AM.

RC Champion
    I like the way you did your decals on the slash. Is is a 2wd or 4wd?
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Racer
    Slash is a 2wd. Thanks for the positve feedback. I do the sitckers like that on all the bodies I paint. I just use rattle cans to do pretty simple paint jobs so the stickers kinda give them a nice touch to make them my own.

Last edited by 1911kevin; 01-11-2013 at 12:31 AM.

What type of power are you running through your ERBE and how fair is the bashing it gets compared to the others.

My skepticism comes from the fact that you rated a nitro higher than arguably the best 4X4 monster truck of all time. Yes, the ERBE has its weak points. But if your breaking something every 5 minutes your doing something wrong or bashing it harder than the others. A nitro is finicky to tune, requires expensive fuel that stinks and is messy, requires extra tools (that require batteries as well) to get it running. I just cant see how a Slayer could ever be listed higher than an ERBE unless something was wrong with the ERBE.

My first large truck as an ERBE as well... about 2 years ago. It was sweet. All built up nicely. But I started by running it on 6s and it scared the crap out of me so I sold it. Now, I only run my ERBE on 4S and have yet to break anything that wasnt my fault entirely. Thats my only reason for being skeptical. I agree that of your list the rustler is by far the best bang for your buck (my 2X4 stampede will always be my number one favourite for this reason).
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Only ever ran 6s in the e revo. First time I ever ran it did a wheelie and ripped the wing off. Second time I ran it with a new wing went over a bump while on the brakes rolling it over breaking an aarm steering knuckle and breaking another wing off. So was done with the wing. Third run came off grass on to pavement and tore the driveshaft outta the center. Fourth run went off a small jump and landed a little nose high and ripped the rear bulhead off the chassis. I glued the tires back to the stock rims untill pieces of the rim were staying on the tire when the tire would get ripped off the rims. I can go on and on. And I haven't even got into the diff problems I've been thru with this truck. This thing gets babied compared to the rustler and the slayer. Most of everything that has broken on the e revo has happned on grass in my back yard. The rustler and slayer go out to the coal pits and get way more abuse that the erevo has ever seen.

Last edited by 1911kevin; 01-11-2013 at 10:56 AM.

RC Champion
    I think you have valid points on your review. I would love to see more as I think it will help newcomers as well. If you get time, could you offer more thoughts about your rating system. You mentioned cost of ownership. I assume initial cost and fun-to-maintenance time is another factor....anything else?

Thanks for starting this thread, I dont disagree with anything you posted yet, I simply think more should be incorporated for others to fully appreciate - I'll provide some input via PM if you decide to expand and wish more input.

"Red"

RC Qualifier
    I can only relate to the slayer, e revo and slash. I love my slash and its a tank but it took a lot of money to get there.

My e slayer was fun to drive and the large body protected it from most of the damage it could have gotten.

The e revo is just bonkers. Being open wheel is automatically more prone to breakage. It has some weaknesses too like the fact I snap the chassis all the time brace or no brace. I run 4s in mine on a 6 pole 2560kv motor.

RC Racer
    Hey red, as making the list goes the main factor was the fun that the trucks have provided me with. Next on the list would have to be ease of maintence (gunna get some haters cuz the slayer is nitro and blah blah blah but race an atv for a season of harescrambles and then come talk to me about maintence). Next would have to be cost of ownership. The slash would have been second i f I didn't have so much money into it. The rustler came out of a box of parts from rebuilding the slash so many times so the thing was practicaly free (miuns body bumpers and wheels and tires) another factor that came into play was duribility. And the way they look sitting on the workbench or when driving around is also a contribuitor. The rustler only ever sees 3s so when people who never seen an rc car watch this thing ripping wheelies and cartwheeling and gettin huge air there sold on the hobby instantly.

Last edited by 1911kevin; 01-11-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Good review. I was also surprised you rated the slayer so high because I hated my nitro airplanes for being so persnickety. I don't own a Slayer so I can't really comment on them though.

Now you need to buy a Rally and Pede then redo your review.

Sent from my Super-Kindle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    My friend just got into the hobby and I told him the pede 4x4 is a great truck. I said to him I have four trucks amd I still want that truck

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Now you need to buy a Rally and Pede then redo your review.
    That will seriously change a persons perspective on things. Get a 1/16 too... thats a whole new deal all on its own.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Can I post reviews on my trucks?
    After all it is a helping thread
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    If I was going to buy another truck it'd be an scb for sure. Right now I'm gunna focus on getting all my trucks up and running. I have big plans for the slayer. 17mm hexes and a cab forward body is a hit as of what's to come. 2wd is just my thing. My dream car is a supra so way to much power going to the rear wheels is my claim to fame.

RC Champion
    To each his own.

RC Racer
    Each to his own really helps the new commer. Glad you can post such helpful info.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911kevin View Post
    My friend just got into the hobby and I told him the pede 4x4 is a great truck. I said to him I have four trucks amd I still want that truck

I have 17 rc's (2 Slash 4x4, Slash 2wd, 2 Emaxx BE, Stampede 2wd, Stampede 4x4, Mini Revo, Wraith, D8t, Mini 8ight, Micro SCT, TT01e, F201, D8T, and a Vorza and Bandit in pieces) and the Pede 4x4 is my favorite..and the D8t, The Stampede 4x4 happens to be the latest addition to the fleet. I've said it before but if the D8t and the Pede 4x4 were my only rc's, I would be completely satisfied.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E G-Slayer

RC Racer
    Good to know. He has an ecx ruckus and is jelous of my rustler. I told him to pick up a pede 4x4 and ill be jelous of that truck. Makes me happy to know such an experienced enthusiast has the same opinion on recommending a new rc as I do.

Sorry no pics

MY REVIEWS!!

#1- 30th anniversary digger !! Aka stampede
    I chose this truck because it is very fun to drive.
    Does wheelies and all that fun
    Really can't say much about durability as its a shelf queen till I get a new body for it because i dont wanna wreck the soecial edition one. For now I use no body.
    I've gone threw 2 battery's charges
    But it's a amazing truck
    No upgrades yet

#2- Awww this is a toughie
    I chooooseee da an na na! Slash 2wd!
    This was my first rc. I got it when I turned 12.
    I lost interest at about 2 months in as I read stuff and didn't want to burn the motor out

In April I took her out and became active in the forums.
    This was very durable.. Till I put in brushless!
    Now it breaks every 8 runs only cause I do crazy stuff

It broken now but it's only a spur gear, no buggy
    If you want to check out this trucks life
    Check out the build thread
    It's called kdvanb slash build
    To many upgrades to count...
    Not really but I can't remember them all..

#3 Slash 4x4

This is only last because I get bored with it
    It really is set up for racing
    Which is like 1 time a month

It is a nice truck but idk it's just not me
    But when I got it in June I thought it was FASt
    Infact I couldn't control it

Upgrades-
    A savox servo
    Alum. Bearing adapter
    Rpm a arms

My dads rustler is nice
    If I had a rustler vxl I would place it 2nd in this list

RC Racer
    Good to meet another slash lover. My slash provided me with so much fun. When I first got it the slash was in high cg form with a velinion system and a nimh batterey. Next came lipo and an strc conversion. Being at the track with friends sharings tuning advise and working on the track kept me out of trouble for 2 summers. Can't beat that experience.

Yeah
    I got vxl in my 4x4
    And castle 3800 mmp in my 2wd

Wrong thread.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-11-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911kevin View Post
    Each to his own really helps the new commer. Glad you can post such helpful info.
    Forgive me because I found the intent of your thread confusing. I didn't realize your intent was to have everyone share their own experiences.

RC Racer
    The intention of the thread was to give anyone looking to get one of these trucks some info and a place to ask me some questions about anyone of them. I've spent a lot of time and money to get these trucks to where they are and just wanted to share my experiences with each one compared to the others.