RC Racer

fail safe question?

It seems I can not find anything saying that my model 4907 has a fail safe and I want to be guaranteed that my truck is not going to be a run away

So do you have a Revo and a T-Maxx? (Ref: your other post in the Revo forum). If you have the Traxxas 2.4 radio it has one built in.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    yes I have what I believe is the model 5310 Revo which has a TQ3 radio which correct me if I am wrong the old radios, and my model 4907 T-Maxx has the 2.4 radio

RC Racer
    yes I have what I believe is the model 5310 Revo which has a TQ3 radio which correct me if I am wrong the old radios, and my model 4907 T-Maxx has the 2.4 radio

RC Racer
    so with that being said, my T-maxx is equiped with a fail safe and my revo is not. It seems as if I can buy a fail safe for $20 bucks, what do I have to do to install it???

RC Racer
    alright so I answered my own question, it appears I plug it into the receiver were the throttle servo plugs in and then plug the servo into that.

RC Racer
    Also, The 4907 T Maxx with the 2.4ghz radio only has a fail safe for loss of signal. If your Receiver battery gets too low there is a chance it will still run away on you.

Myself and my brother both have the 4907, and we have both had our trucks run away due to a low Rx battery.

RC Racer
    ah no kidding that is good to know, so bam I have to buy 2 of them huh, are all fail safes the same I am curious to know because if I can get by with buying this $16 made by HPI

RC Racer
    From what I understand the aftermarket failsafes are not compatible with the 2.4ghz radio system. I've been looking for one also so I don't end up with another run away. I've found nothing as of yet that is absolutely guaranteed to work.

RC Racer
    that seems strange that there is not a failsafe compatible for the 2.4ghz radio. I have had my T-Maxx for a couple of years however I got out of it for sometime simply because of money. getting back into it now it scares me knowing and reading about runaways about what could happen from injury to totally destroying my investment so with that being said I need for someone to tell me what failsafes I can put on both my T-Maxx 4907 and the Revo I just bought which is a 5310.

RC Racer
    I have yet to see any (traxxas or aftermarket) 2.4 system work with an aftermarket failsafe.
    T-maxx 2.5 | T-maxx 3.3 | T-maxx pro.15

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFootedRacer View Post
    I have yet to see any (traxxas or aftermarket) 2.4 system work with an aftermarket failsafe.
    Why should they if the failsafe is already built in. But I've have seen a few Spektrum DX2's and earlier DX3's working with failsafes on,,,, why they wanted them is beyond me, just another draw of power.. You don't need two failsafes...

To the O.P. Why not just get an updated receiver (2.4 Ghz) and use the newer radio with it on both your RC's? The cost is the same as a failsafe and now you have the best of both worlds....

Oh and don't forget your throttle return spring,,, failsafes do not work if there is a power failure, but the spring will... My first experience with that is I forgot to turn on my receiver and the throttle on the carb was wide open when I went to start it.. Thing took off down the street for almost the entire block before hitting a mailbox post and snapping the chassis.... A 25 cent spring can save you a lot of money...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Thats a bit concerning if the 2.4 failsafe is only triggered by low transmitter voltage.
    In my experience its always been the receiver batterys that drain fastest.

Upgrading to a rechargeable battery pack such as a 1600 mah 5 cell hump back for example
    and adding a throttle return spring as Nitronaught suggested should eliminate most
    receiever related runaways.
    I've yet to have one since upgrading. (knocking on head)
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTrout View Post
    Thats a bit concerning if the 2.4 failsafe is only triggered by low transmitter voltage.
    In my experience its always been the receiver batterys that drain fastest.

Upgrading to a rechargeable battery pack such as a 1600 mah 5 cell hump back for example
    and adding a throttle return spring as Nitronaught suggested should eliminate most
    receiever related runaways.
    I've yet to have one since upgrading. (knocking on head)
    Ahh, most 2.4 ghz systems will activate the failsafe feature when it can not communicate digitally with the radio. Since they are digatally bound to each other, there is very little chance of interference. If there is interference the receiver loses binding to the radio and the failsafe kicks in.

At least that's my understanding of the majority 2.4 ghz systems,,, pretty sure Traxxas does the same..

The older 27 mhz radios with Optidrive did not work this way and they had runaways without signal failsafes...
    I do believe the Traxxas TQI failsafe engages with low battery.. Here's a quote from the details of the TQI radio system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas.com Product overview
    In the event of signal loss due to an accidental switch-off or depleted batteries, the receiver will automatically return the throttle to neutral and hold the last commanded steering position. The Fail Safe programming is built-in and does not need to be set or activated. Three telemetry ports are incorporated in the 5-channel receiver to allow real-time data to be transmitted from your Traxxas model to the TQi transmitter.
    Found that listed here http://traxxas.com/products/parts/tr...ink2ch-details
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    I apologize to DoubleG for the double posting as I was dealing with 2 different trucks so I posted separately, won't do that again. Based on everyones advise I am just going to upgrade to the new 2.4ghz for my revo and put a spring on the on the throttle return. I appreciate this forum as you guys are a great help.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Why should they if the failsafe is already built in. But I've have seen a few Spektrum DX2's and earlier DX3's working with failsafes on,,,, why they wanted them is beyond me, just another draw of power.. You don't need two failsafes...

To the O.P. Why not just get an updated receiver (2.4 Ghz) and use the newer radio with it on both your RC's? The cost is the same as a failsafe and now you have the best of both worlds....

Oh and don't forget your throttle return spring,,, failsafes do not work if there is a power failure, but the spring will... My first experience with that is I forgot to turn on my receiver and the throttle on the carb was wide open when I went to start it.. Thing took off down the street for almost the entire block before hitting a mailbox post and snapping the chassis.... A 25 cent spring can save you a lot of money...
    I have the 2.4ghz radio system, and a throttle return spring. My truck still ran off on me because the receiver voltage was too low to control the servo, but still had enough power to hold the servo where it was when the voltage drop occurred. Which happened to be full throttle.

There is no failsafe for low Rx voltage on the Traxxas 2.4ghz radio system. The best thing you could do is get a Rechargeable hump pack, and a voltage meter that plugs into your Rx that gives you a real time reading of your voltage levels, or get the Tqi docking base and telemetry app if you have an Ipod or Iphone.

You can find the voltage meter on ebay for around $6.

I just purchased the traxxas 2.4 GHz link system recently. I experimented with the low voltage receiver scenario and can say that in the instance when the battery gets really low the servos will begin to twitch/glitch and there is no low voltage failsafe. By really low I mean the light on the TX was blinking red for several minutes before the glitching started.
    I setup my throttle return spring as I normally would and the spring was not strong enough to overcome the glitching throttle servo. If the spring was setup any stronger to try and overcome the glitch the servo would constantly be fighting to keep center at neutral/idle and probably overheat the servo and cause damage.

I purchased the voltage/temp sensor just so I could monitor the RX battery voltage. It works well, but you do need the docking base and an I devise to use the app.

No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

For those with a 2.4ghz TX/RX that does not offer telemetry get one of these, Voltage Indicator, it's what I'm waiting to show up at my door.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RC-Hobby-7...item41690a5d5a

Or one like this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-7V-RX-Ba...item3369b57c16

It's cheep enough, & should be just the ticket to tell when the RX is needing to pulled & charged when you fill up the tank.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 01-12-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    do you plug them into the charging port? the 2nd on you listed I am assuming it lights up when the voltage becomes low and you could mount it to the body and be visible at all times.

RC Racer
    I ordered the same style as the first voltage indicator that Wildman listed, but a different brand. It will be here between Monday and Wednesday.

On the Listing for the one I ordered it said it plugs into an open port on the Rx. When I get it and have it hooked up and working I'll give an update on how I installed it, unless someone else has some input on the install.
    T-Maxx 3.3/E-Maxx/30th Digger/1:10 Summit/Rustler

RC Racer
    OK, I got the voltage meter today.

I plugged the wire from the voltage meter into ch. 4 on my Rx, and when I turn on the Rx, voila the light comes on showing the battery voltage level.

It came with self adhesive backing, so I mounted it on top of the Rx box. Which is also visible through the window.

RC Racer
    very nice, I appreciate you taking the time to post that.

RC Racer
    No problem.

I'm always learning, and when I can, I am more than happy to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxed out Throttle View Post
    No problem.

I'm always learning, and when I can, I am more than happy to help out.
    Ditto on that.... Too bad the documentation provided did not specify that the low voltage sensor is only on the transmitter and not the receiver...

I've never had the issue of low voltage at the receiver since using 1400mah rcvr packs.. Hint Hint...

Thanks for the update on this Snook... You sure you aren't in the Traxxas lab somewhere?
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous