RC Enthusiast

Problems with new used T-Maxx

Hey guys, i got a pretty cheap T-maxx on craigslist and I can't seem to start it. (Completely new to nitro vehicles) It needed a new glow plug, glow wire, and air filter, so I got those for it. I also got an EZ start system. However, when I try to prime it, no fuel is going through the lines. Any thoughts on why this is?

Thanks

Did you cover the exhaust stinger with your finger while you turned the engine over?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Did you cover the exhaust stinger with your finger while you turned the engine over?
    Yeah i did, and what do you mean by turning the engine over? Sorry, im a noob (to nitro)

Cranking it over with the ez starter, as in spinning it over trying to start it.

To prime the lines, you plug the exhaust stinger(outlet) with your finger.
    Then use the ez wand to spin the engine over just like when you want to start it.
    You will see the fuel get pushed up through the lines.
    When it reaches the carb remove your finger from the stinger & start the engine.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Cranking it over with the ez starter, as in spinning it over trying to start it.

To prime the lines, you plug the exhaust stinger(outlet) with your finger.
    Then use the ez wand to spin the engine over just like when you want to start it.
    You will see the fuel get pushed up through the lines.
    When it reaches the carb remove your finger from the stinger & start the engine.
    Just one problem... The fuel is not going through the lines when I do that... Thanks for the reply

RC Competitor
    Make sure your fuel tank cover has good seal, make sure you don't have any gel in the fuel lines, make sure all your seals are good from the header to the pipe coupler then from coupler to pipe. Screw your high speed needle all the way down but don't make it snug and then back it off 4 turns counter clockwise. By doing this your possable breaking up some gel in the Carb and also putting it back to factory setting. If all that fails pull the Carb and clean/flush it out. Worse case motor has no compression and is not making vacuum to pull fuel into itself.

RC Champion
    check that the flywheel is spinning when you are trying to start the motor. If the One Way Bearing at the back of the motor is failing or dirty, then the EZ start will just free spin and not turn over the motor.
    the nitro motor should make a "pup pup pup pup" sound when turning over, if it sounds like the EZ start is just spinning really fast, then it's possible the one way bearing needs to be serviced and cleaned or replaced.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    check that the flywheel is spinning when you are trying to start the motor. If the One Way Bearing at the back of the motor is failing or dirty, then the EZ start will just free spin and not turn over the motor.
    the nitro motor should make a "pup pup pup pup" sound when turning over, if it sounds like the EZ start is just spinning really fast, then it's possible the one way bearing needs to be serviced and cleaned or replaced.
    Really good information here. I had the same issue with mine. I would want to start when I would let off the button on the ez start. I replaced mine and no problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by gdroel View Post
    Just one problem... The fuel is not going through the lines when I do that... Thanks for the reply
    Then you are loosing the pressure that should be going into the tank somewhere. Check the pressure line, tank seal, exhaust coupler & the tank for cracks.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Fuel not flowing is either a blocking or pushing problem. Either the carb is blocked not allowing fuel to be pumped to it or the pipe is not pressurizing the tank.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    One really dumb question. I just want to make sure you have 2 fuel lines on your truck.
    One from the bottom of the tank to the carb
    The second from the top of the tank to the exhaust.
    Without the second fuel line from exhaust to tank, you will not get any back pressure in the tank to push fuel in the lines.

in your fuel line going to the carb is there a metal fuel filter? if so pull it apart clean it and rinse with isopropyl or nitro to remove water.

Next up to clean the fuel tank if it appears to be gelled at the bottom, first empty it. Use hot water and dish soap and keep rinsing til you get it all out (small bottle cleaner or water jet works). While cleaning examine the top of the fuel tanks seal make sure its not degraded and look for cracks. Do a pressure test. Then I rinse mine with isopropyl alcohol and finally rinse with a little fuel. Hook it all back up and prime the lines by covering the exhaust with your finger while you turn the motor like the others said.