RC Competitor

Am I the only one.....

who uses the p4de for bashing only. I see all these other posts about people swapping out motor/esc/servos etc etc so they can go faster. But then they also state they bash with it. Maybe it's just me, but I never envisioned the p4de as a speed truck. I run 2s on the stock setup and am perfectly content. I dont see a need for being able to hit 60mph with a basher. To each his own, but it just seems like I am the only one who hasnt upgraded electronics and uses it strictly for bashing, lol.
    Pede 4x4 vxl
    Slash 2x4 vxl

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I do nothing but bash with all my RC's including the P4de. I did upgrade the motor & ESC to the Castle MMP & 2400kv. I run nothing but 3S and have a blast with it. Not sure if I hear of to many people using them for speed runs. Mainly bashers and truggies for use at the track. It's definitely a nimble little truck. I find them fun in different ways.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The pede is all about bashing and stunts but its great having lots of power to do double backflips off skate ramps ....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ace, i live in Texas and when the street temp is 130+, the stock motor/esc can't handle it. Bigger motors and ESCs don't cost a lot more than the stock system, but you end up with a quicker, faster, more powerful setup. Or you can gear down and have the same speed at stock but a more reliable truck.

RC Qualifier
    i only bash and do big air jumps the only reason i want to upgrade my motor is that the stock velineon gets way too hot on 3s. and i do want to go faster cause the faster you can hit a jump the higher and further you will go!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I have been very happy with mine almost 100% stock on 2s. I upgrade things only as they break; I like to spend money on other rcs for my collection for different purposes (such as scalers crawlers etc).
    When my stock system fries someday it will be upgraded to something 24 - 2600 kv and four pole.
    I have had to upgrade my driveshafts; they started snapping after I started running more aggressive tires.
    I see what the OP is saying I would think strictly doing speed runs would get very boring but that is just me. To each their own; I enjoy seeing what some of these folks do to improve their experience. Some of the obstacles they get through have useful info for the rest of us. Whether their pede is never on the ground or they are trying to hit the 80 mph mark. Keep on keepin on fellas!
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Qualifier
    I'm on 2s, and I only bash with mine. All stock.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Competitor
    Building up from a roller is one thing. I just dont see why people go out and spend $500 on a rc just to take it home and gut it. Maybe I'm just att hat stage in life where nothing makes sense and everything is poo to me. Kind of like that south park episode.
    Pede 4x4 vxl
    Slash 2x4 vxl

RC Qualifier
    I bash with the stock electronics. A few truck upgrades.. Just running around with a 2s.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Bear in mind these parts don't get tossed in most cases. If you have an ebay account or know someone who does the unused parts can be sold to recoup the cost of upgrades. So say the truck was 500 bucks and you sell the unused new parts for what you wanted it to have in it you might spend 250 on upgrades and get 150 back. Now you have the truck the way you really wanted it to be and did not spend as much money.
    Myself I save upgraded parts to put on rollers I build and sell; usually for a sweet price to a friend who wants something fun for their kid but can't afford new. Granted I don't make much money but I have fun doing it and I get to help some folks get into the hobby that would not have otherwise.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Competitor
    I think it is more fun modifying things just to see how much more power and durability you can get. Besides this is a lot cheaper hobby than snowmobileing for me. 12000 dollar sled plus another 2000 in speed parts before I even ride. Not to mention I can
    Wreck my pede all day and still walk away with out a scratch

RC Qualifier
    Mine is used 99.9% of the time just for bashing. I've got a small track in my yard with rocks to jump off. I also live on a gravel road with ditches to jump and make a 50 mph blast down the road on 3S. I've only taken it a block away to the paved road for a speed run now and then on the stock tires and a bigger pinion. The rest of the time I run my big 3.2's on 17mm or my Trenchers and it's all off road bashing. I do have dual fans on the motor and 1 on the ESC to keep it from frying. 13/54 gearing seems to work pretty well for what I do.
    Actually, the main reason I bought it was to exercise my dog. Dobies can run 30 mph and love to do it. Then we both got hooked. I have a brushed 2wd pede I run on 2S as a backup so he never misses a day of our fun if there's a breakdown.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mark c View Post
    I upgrade things only as they break
    ^^^This!^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mikeorood View Post
    I think it is more fun modifying things just to see how much more power and durability you can get.
    ^^^And this!^^^

I use my pede just for bashing. I don't do speed runs. You need the x0-1 or the rustler to do those type of stuff. Anyways, since I love bashing I took some precautions and bought some aftermarket parts to make it stronger and protect it from the elements. So far, I got the following for it:

For Strength:
    -->RPM A-Arms (Fronts only for now. Just wanted to make the front end stronger)
    -->T BONE racing front bumper and servo protector (Again, to make front end stronger and protect it from impacts. Also to protect and prolong the servo's life)

For protection:
    -->Outerwears Shroud (Keeps dirt, small rocks, gravel, sand, grass, etc from entering the chassis)

For Longevity:
    -->Aluminum bearing adapter (This one does not melt compared to the stock part). Will be getting the kingheadz motor mount soon.

Next upgrades:
    -->Rear RPM A-Arms
    -->Kingheadz Aluminum Motor mount
    -->MIP CVD's
    -->Aluminum Shock caps
    -->Aluminum steering knuckles
    -->Aluminum Caster blocks
    -->Aluminum Rear Stub Axles

Basically, my goal is to build a stampede that could withstand impact from bashing on whatever terrain I find...
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-11-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Corrected Typos

I have only upgraded parts that have bust like mips and kinghead,bearing adaptor,shocks and motor and esc...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I understand what the op is saying... I am building a pede 4x4 basher only build. I am adding a big 1/8 scale motor, and running on 3s with the intention of slowing the truck down a bit... does not make sense in a conventional manner, but I picked up a used sledgehammer a while back and had so much fun bashing in small areas with the brushed motor at speeds from 20 mph and down, kinda want to build a modern version. It gets hot here in Pittsburgh in the summer... our weather usually matches Florida with 90% humidity an 90+ temps in late July and August. I have to limit my gearing a bit on 2s in my slash 2wd mt during the hot weather. I also have to find areas to bash with wide open spaces as it is fast. I am building this truck to run on hot days, and be able to gear anywhere I want for speed, and be able to run it anywhere and keep it durable, using as many stock parts as possible. Kinda how my stock sledge was bashed with less horsepower, and super fun to drive... Hard to explain.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???