Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

My Tqi does not turn on?

Page 1 http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=za

Page 2
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=za

there is the rest of the thread.. someone wrote that they sent back just the circuit board please let us know what happened?

"Victim of the Traxxas Tqi transmitter no light of death"
    Last edited by John McClane; 01-10-2013 at 12:21 PM.

RC poster
    Well guys add me to the long list.
    My son and I were in the middle of a good run racing side by side. Then suddenly I noticed my car did not respond when trying to bring it back to the starting line. I looked down and NO GREEN light on my transmitter. I thought nothing of it at first, just thinking it was the batteries or the battery linkage. I took my batteries out and checked them with my sons radio transmitter, they worked fine. I then took the side cover off to check the battery linkage... No luck there either. So then I took out the original base thinking it could be the TQi Docking Base.... NOT! It still didn't work. GRRRRR!

We got these for Christmas and this was the first time out racing our new Traxxas Funny Cars, and the DTS1 timing system. Thank Goodness we were on our last pass of the day.
    HELP!!!!

RC poster
    Throw the bad quality traxxas radios in rubbish an get spectrum futaba etc
    Revo 3.3 chassis / LRP .28

*IGNORE*

Traxxas radios are normally VERY good quality. I've never had a problem with them, even when I drop them down a set of wood stairs. Just give Traxxas a call, they should cover it.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, I had a similar thing occur.
    my radio just went dead, here in my country traxxas warrenty really isnt up to par(new zealand)
    So i just buyed another and havnt had an issue since.

cheers
    Finisher

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by buggyandtruck View Post
    No way you better watch out bad mouthing traxxas like that. The Tqi is way better especially when using it with the XO-1 there is nothing that can compete with it and its price is very good. These things happen to lots of high qaulity electronics all the time such as the Playstation 3 got the YLOD caused by lead free solder between the GFX and the mainboard which cracked over time from heating up and down to quick for the solder. Xbox 360 had a similar problem the RROD and these are made by major companys like IBM. Traxxas TQi FTW

RC Racer
    Just joined the 'No light of Death' club. Phoned Lhs where bought my ERBE from, they said send it in and they will get a replacement. Being from uk difficult and expensive to get radio back to traxxas. Sometimes it pays to buy things locally may cost a bit more but if get issues like this, ca get them solved.

RC poster
    Hi Merc, the very same thing happened to me. I have the 2.4ghz docking base transmitter for my revo 3.3. I only purchased it on the 20th Dec 2012 and it's already faulty. I've checked all my circuits and they all seem to be fine except for the on/off switch part. Did you get it fixed? if you did, what was the problem? cheers

RC Racer
    Mines gone back to the Lhs on Saturday (mailed it) will call them Monday to find out the score. If get any feedback will let you know.

RC Racer
    Got mine back yesterday. All working and repair was free. The problem seems to just be with the main transmitter and not the docking base. As the transmitter was the new part and they used my old docking base. I would guess at a faulty circuit board in the transmitter.

RC poster
    i had the same thing with my brand new remote i rang traxxas still in warranty and all and they said to bad you may as well buy a new one ....

RC poster
    is there a way to flash the firmware or reset the firmware ....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    No, there is not.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Yeah, I'm from Australia and when i told Traxxas about it and repeated over and over that the batteries "were full y charged" they just kept sending emails saying "make sure the batteries are charged, like dodging me. Really bad service from what i have heard is a company with good service. Maybe for USA it is good. I got on to my hobby store and they replaced it for me with no hastle. This one better not stuff up.

RC poster
    Well I guess I'll add my name to this list as well

I ordered a new one on line and it arrived yesterday. I installed it in my Pede last night and was going through the programing / setup when it died on me Never even got a chance to run it.

I guess I'll be calling Traxxas Monday morning...

RC poster
    i bought a TQI w/dock and with in a week the transmitter went dead. The owner of the hobby shop just swaped out the top portion with another traxxas 4 channel transmitter. 3 weeks later same thing no light of death. does it have to do with the docking station doing something to the transmitter? i have 3 other normal 2 channel and have had 0 issues.

RC poster
    I joined the club today also will be giving traxxas
    A call Monday morning. You would think they would
    Of had this issue fixed but now. I just bought my
    Traxxas tmaxx 3.3 Thursday 4/4/13 and it's already
    No light of death on Saturday 4/6//13 I didn't even
    Get to get through the break in process

RC Enthusiast
    I also now have a TQi (4 channel) that does not turn on. Mine came with a 1/10 summit.

It worked perfectly from day one. I decided to install the telemetry (to monitor engine temp and battery voltage) and bought the appropriate sensors and the docking base. Installed it, and first time I turned it on, asked me for a Tx and Rx firmware upgrade. It completed both upgrades without issue (full batteries on Tx, fully charged iPod on docking base).

It worked flawlessly for a couple of times, sensor readings were OK, all servos, throttle, everything was just perfect.

This last weekend when I tried to turn the model on, no light on the Tx. Swapped batteries (3 times), charged iPod, nothing. I even tried putting back the original base. Didn't work as well.

Called 1-800-Traxxas and after I explained my story they said that I should send the Tx to them. The support guy mentioned that it looks like a firmware issue and that it would probably be under warranty. Now, since I live in Brazil it is very hard and very expensive for me to send and receive back my Transmitter without paying taxes twice. (Of course, Traxxas has nothing to do with it, but it's something I need to consider).

To make it short, I've decided to buy a new 4ch TQi Tx (which comes with the Rx).

Couple of questions:

It is probable that the Rx in my Summit is on a different firmware version that my new Tx will be. Will this work? Is there any risk involved on just trying to bind them as it is? OR it is best to swap everything? Tx and Rx and start fresh.

From what I've read in the forums this looks like an issue with some very specific combination of firmware version, Transmitter, iDevice type, etc. I haven't found anywhere a list of firmware versions and update history. Is it available anywhere?

I am very worried that if I install the docking base and do the firmware upgrade on my new Tx that it all happens again. Telemetry is something nice-to-have and not a deal-breaker, but heck, I've paid for it. I would like to be able to use it the way it was intended for.

I welcome any comments and opinions. I am not in any way bashing Traxxas and would try to solve the issue with them if I was in the US. I plan to use the lifetime warranty for eletronics to fix/swap my original non-working Tx during a trip to US.
    Last edited by brunobaptista; 04-19-2013 at 12:43 PM.

RC poster
    Well you can add me to this problem, this really s!@#...

I called traxxas and they said it was the transmitter and to send it in for repair, they sent a e-mail with a RMA number.

Looks like I'm out of business for 3 weeks...sigh
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate w/Tqi Radio

RC poster
    Hi, All
    I'm new to the forum so this is my first post, but I wanted to chime in here cause my new TQi did the same thing all was working just fine then when I went and turned it on the battery light didn't come on at all. So after doing all the simple stuff i.e. change battery etc. I called Traxxas they told me it was probbly a soft ware glitch and I would need it sent back to them to be sure. I asked if I would be able to flash it my self and they told me no cause every remote is alittle differant when the problem happens. They tried to do some things like that but it wouldn't work cause of the differant parts of the software it affected. So I sent my TQi in and in a week and a half they just sent me a new TQI 3 channel to replace mine. the support tech also told me not to worry ( cause I own 3 TQi's two 3 channels and a 4 channel) and that Traxxas has my back. He said that Traxxas knows about the software problem (and it doesn't effect all Tx just some) but if any other of my TQi's fail just call. they will take care of them for a few months from the date of purchase but if it happens say like 2 years out your on your own. Hope this helps everyone to understand this problem Traxxas is having.

RC Qualifier
    for some of us its not that easy to send it to traxxas as to pay for postage is nearly same price as buying another transmitter from ebay or somewhere
    its so silly that here in Australia there is a traxxas head office but if your controller stuffs up you need to send it to the usa,
    and after speaking to afew hobby shops I know they are very angry that the hobby shop have to return so much traxxas parts
    like esc and mmm motors and now tqi controllers at their expense
    I bought a new erevo very first start up it would not work so I went back to hobby shop and they removed my esc sent it to traxxas Australia then traxas Australia sent it to usa then usa sent traxxas Australia a new esc then traxas Australia sent my hobby shop a new esc now if I did that in my live of work I would go broke because my erevo was out of action for 2 months while the esc got a trip around the world hehehe
    anyway my main rant is y have a traxxas head office in Australia when the crap parts still have to be sent to usa which just adds 50 dollars in freight and 3 weeks in travel time
    good thing is now I have a mugen and my erevo is collecting dust in broken pieces
    just remember that its not real easy to just send stuff back for repairs for anyone that's not in the usa
    I know the people on the phone at traxxas are very helpful but I just don't understand the way they work and y have a head office in australia that cant fix or repair stuff

RC Qualifier
    Just go ahead and add my name to the list! Had my daughter driving my truck around and when I went to reset the throttle channel back to defaults, the transmitter quit working. The led light does not light up on my transmitter. It isn't worth mailing it back to traxxas.
    Savage Flux, .0625 rally vxl

RC Qualifier
    hey boodaggy
    if u r not going to send it back to traxxas just pull it apart and there is 2 or 3 thin flat 10 or so pin connectors
    just pull as much of the unit apart and replug connectors back in properly
    this did work on my tqi system when it would not turn on but in the end I just reverted back to my good and trusty tq controller
    I just don't trust the tqi anymore and I figured once I did hook up my iphone to the tqi once
    all the other times were just a toss to show other people
    so much stuff is made in china these days its amazing how much of it fails
    I guess if I was being paid peanuts I would not work at 100% hehehehe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
    hey boodaggy
    if u r not going to send it back to traxxas just pull it apart and there is 2 or 3 thin flat 10 or so pin connectors
    just pull as much of the unit apart and replug connectors back in properly
    this did work on my tqi system when it would not turn on but in the end I just reverted back to my good and trusty tq controller
    I just don't trust the tqi anymore and I figured once I did hook up my iphone to the tqi once
    all the other times were just a toss to show other people
    so much stuff is made in china these days its amazing how much of it fails
    I guess if I was being paid peanuts I would not work at 100% hehehehe
    I may just do that, If I cant find anything or get it working, I may just sell the dock, receiver, temp/volt sensor and upgrade.

Thanks for the input

**** I took the controller apart, went through every possible connection and it still does not work. Looks like Ill be replacing the transmitter at least lol
    Last edited by Boodaggy; 07-12-2013 at 08:24 PM.

RC Enthusiast

Exclamation Add Me Too

I was playing with my Bandit Friday on 7/12/2013 and the controller sent my buggy out of control. The buggy full throttles on me, sent it cartwheeling for 10-15 feet after it popped a wheelie and flipped it. I just sent Traxxas an e-mail being as I am out of town right now. With all the problems I have been having with Traxxas lately consumer confidence in my book is low right now. But all Traxxas electronics are lifetime warranty so I do not expect to have any problems getting this repaired. I have a 3ch TQi with docking base. I do have the original TQi 2ch which came with my Bandit as a back up, but if I have to return my 3ch TQi Controller, you can bet I will NOT be shipping it back with the docking station unless I am required to so.

If I do not hear back from Traxxas Support by tomorrow when I am back in town, I will be calling them up and escalate this issue, you can count on it.

Best Regards,
    pc.pro.doc
    4-Tec 4809 | T-Maxx 4910 | Bandit VXL 2704L

RC Qualifier
    I received my new 2 channel tqi transmitter from ebay, swapped over the dock, and all works fine. except now I have a fear of adjusting the throttle percentages in fear of what happened last time lol. Its a shame to because I really enjoy the whole tqi feature set.

RC poster
    Mine as well. FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!!!
    Traxxas replaced the first saying it was toast after only 30 days in my ownership...The new one is less that a year old and today the same exact thing happened.
    Im tired of replacing remotes and waiting for things to be sent back a month later.
    I don't know if the app or the dock is frying these remotes...(I have purchased a regular TQi remote and have no issues with it nor the 3 other TQ remotes that my family uses to control their vehicles. Leaving me to believe that the app is crap or the docking base is..) Time to find another remote
    LOTS OF COIN IN TRAXXAS
    Slayer Pro 4X4
    Revo 3.3
    Slash #1 Original slash bone stock with remote working perfectly still
    Slash #2
    Slash #3
    Slash #4
    Ultra LX2
    SC10 4X4
    SC10 2WD
    NTC3
    All (Were) running TQi Receivers.
    I like the idea of one remote for my vehicles.
    So much coin tied up in this...
    If it dont work, kick it as hard as you can.

RC poster
    Had the same thing happen to me on a two week old TX, from the info I have gathered from online and Traxxas themselves sounds like it can get messed up if your using a iPhone that is connected to the dock while truck and electronics is running, then getting a text message or phone call.

So i was thinking of just putting the phone in airplane mode prior to adding to the dock.

But if this is what is happening why don't they make the software prompt to do that every time it's connected if it's not already in that mode????

More than a little peaved. I overnights my tx to them four days ago to get fixed or replaced, and they have done that well enough but now the estimated arrival date of my replacement is almost two weeks.

If I can pay to get the faulty unit to them overnight I don't understand why they take the cheapest method possible to get it back to me

So much for having fun over the Christmas holidays.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I bought a tqi brand new on dollar hobbyz. While driving one day at the track stopped to do some maintenance on my truck. Went to drive again, nothing. Wouldn't bind. Then it quit coming on altogether. Would have costed me 45$ to have it repaired. New tqi/Rx are 45$. This one quits I'm definitely going aftermarket.

I should mention the tqi that quit had only been used 3 times and was very well taken care of.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

I noticed something when I was installing the docking base on my TQI. The power coming from the battery plugs into the circuit board very weakly, it doesn't take much to un plug it. I'd check and make sure it didn't work itself out or come unplugged. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Nope tried all that before sending it in,all wires connections and batteries were good.

Just wish they would figure out the issue already, The idea behind Traxxas link is very cool and unique, but if it's that flakey when connected to the iPhones then it's not useful.

Makes me gun shy to even try it when it eventually comes back

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-man View Post
    Got mine back yesterday. All working and repair was free. The problem seems to just be with the main transmitter and not the docking base. As the transmitter was the new part and they used my old docking base. I would guess at a faulty circuit board in the transmitter.
    This was the case with me. I actually transferred the docking base from my faulty tx to another and it works just fine on the new transmitter. I know my issue had nothing to do with the iPod updating or anything of that nature. It was an older iPod touch with no data connection or wireless connection etc.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    Guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else.Had my X0-1 for 2 days before the transmitter died.The failsafe really came in handy because the car was rolling when the transmitter died so it just came to a complete stop.Lucky for me i live 30 mins away from Traxxas headquarters and i have an appt to take my transmitter in and will have it back on Mon Jan 20.Still ****ed that it went out so soon tho and hopefully they will remedy this issue very soon!

RC poster
    Had my Traxxas for just a few weeks, and my Transmitter Light will not come on. Had the upgrade for IPOD installed. Is this something that we can fix ourselves? I looked, but all wiring, etc. looked good to me.

RC poster
    Is this problem with ALL TQI Transmitters, or just the 2 channel units? Because I just purchased a 4 channel unit with receiver, to stop gap me in the meantime, because I can not be without a Transmitter.

RC poster
    Yes this problem with ALL TQI Transmitters.... if u can... have spare for down times when shipping in replacement TQI Transmitters.... Still the TQI is awesome, but a little new to game... glad it works though when it does..... like i said... if u can... have spare for down times..

RC Champion
    My 4ch went out 1 day after a firmware update.
    Update loaded fine, transmitter worked that night, the next day It wouldn't turn back on.
    Sent it in and Traxxas replaced it free of charge, shipping it to them cost me $12 though.
    They sent me a a brand new dock attached to the radio but didn't give me any of the spacer pads.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    My TQi died for the second time. After seeing the post from TJslayer71 about receiving calls while plugged in I realized that both times mine died were very shortly after receiving a call while the phone was plugged into the docking base on the Tx. I ordered a cheap Rx for my hacked FS gt3b, but I know I will miss the telemetry. I will call Traxxas on Monday and see if I can get it fixed.

If I do, I'll be sure to use airplane mode while my phone is plugged into the Tx.

RC Champion
    I bought a cheap iPod touch for mine. But you need one that does at least iOS 5 or 6 for the current Traxxas software.
    My gen 2 ipod doesn't accept the current software so models like the rally aren't available to me.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC poster
    just joined the no light of death club today after doing the new firmware update on the docking station. really chaps my ***. i just purchased a 700 dollar rtr truck and the first time i hook up my iphone the remote crashes. for this price this product should be absolutely flawless. having known this previously i would have gone with a much cheaper product and dealt with it. traxxas says i can send the remote in at my shipping expense and they will take a look at it. the amount of down time this truck has had in the two months ive owned it is unexceptable