RC Qualifier

what motor will run cooler than the velineon?

what motor would you guys suggest that can run a 3s and that will run cooler than the stock velineon motor? the only thing is that it has to fit without any modification. i have had good experience with the castle 1415 but it requires me to dremel out the chassis cause it is longer than the velineon. any idea guys?

RC Qualifier
    velineon can run fine on 3s with the right gearing. Are you looking for a certain speed? If you are looking for something else, it will need to be a 4 pole motor which will require a different ESC. Best ways to prevent heat is gearing and/or larger motors.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    velineon can run fine on 3s with the right gearing. Are you looking for a certain speed? If you are looking for something else, it will need to be a 4 pole motor which will require a different ESC. Best ways to prevent heat is gearing and/or larger motors.
    not really looking to do speed runs, i only do big air jumps and bashing with my stampede but the motor get pretty hot even on 2s. i have a heatsink and cooling fan but it seems like it doesnt do much.

RC Qualifier
    Been told the Tacon 3660 3500 is better. But never tried it. Always out of stock. Gear down at the least. Try a 9t. Maybe loosen the slipper just a little.
    Last edited by No One; 01-10-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4 Monster Mutt

RC Qualifier
    Gearing plays alot into motor and ESC temps. Dropping just a couple teeth makes a huge difference. I run a 9 tooth for winter and 11 in the summer on my 4x4, and a 16 on my 2wd. Remember, when you check your temps, especially on the ESC, you are only checking the temp of the heat sync, not the actual temp of the electronics which are much hotter. Alot of starting and stopping and heavy braking will heat things up really quick too. If you are running 2s and having heat issues, then you either have it geared way too high, you have resistence in the drive train, or you need to modify your driving habits.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

Have a look at the castle 1410 3800kv motor lots of people say its great with the right gearing....peace..If not run fans and use 9t in the summer and 11-13t in the winter hope that helps
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Have a look at the castle 1410 3800kv motor lots of people say its great with the right gearing....peace..If not run fans and use 9t in the summer and 11-13t in the winter hope that helps
    Looked into it already. The 1410 cannot run 3s

The motor can run 3s but with the mmp not the sidewinder esc ...peace

Just had a look on castle website and it states you will have to gear down but the pede does not weigh as much plus there have been people on this forum how have done it and loved it .....peace

RC Racer
    I run the 3800 on 3s and have had heat issues. Sl4sh geared 13/54 i believe. I bash, speed runs, and try not to brake so much.
    I have a 2650 coming to try with my mmp, and hope to do away with all temp problems with that.
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

like i said the pede is lighter and if you run a 11t pinion it will be fine and its kv is higher so it will run quicker than stock and being a 4 pole it will have more torque...peace

RC Qualifier
    just got off the phone with castle and they they dont recommend the 1410 on 3s in the stampede or any short course truck. stick with 2s is what they said. i might have to bite the bullet and get the 1415 the only problem is that i do really big air jumps 20ft plus and i dont know how to mount the esc down securely enough were it wouldnt fall out.

RC Qualifier
    industrial velcro or 3M automotive double sided tape. neither has failed me yet.

RC Qualifier
    i use 3m auto tape on everything, i guess worst case scenario i can use the 3m tape and get the snappy mount and drill holes in my chassis to mount the esc

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Why would you want to gear it higher in the winter? If you run in snow, there will be more resistence on the truck, and even though its cold outside, you will likely overheat.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    what motor would you guys suggest that can run a 3s and that will run cooler than the stock velineon motor? the only thing is that it has to fit without any modification. i have had good experience with the castle 1415 but it requires me to dremel out the chassis cause it is longer than the velineon. any idea guys?
    I run mine hard on 3S on my short bashing track with my Doberman on it's tail. Dobies can hit 30 mph so I have to outrun him or it gets expensive (lol). With 13/54 gearing, ESC fan, and dual fans on the motor, it will stay cool enough for as long as the 4000 Mah battery lasts (about 20 mins). Usually 140-150, but can go higher in warmer weather.

RC Qualifier
    So I decided to mod the chassis to accommodate the 1415. I have been running 17/54 on my slashes with the mmp and 1415 without any problems what so ever. Do you guys think I can run the same gearing on the stampede with the big tires? Ill be running only 3s batteries

RC Champion
    I picked up a losi-branded mamba monster pro and 2800kv motor for around $140 after shipping on eBay. The motor and esc are made by castle. It'll drop right into your truck, except you'll have to get some 5mm pinions. Tons of torque, and no heat issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-wheelin View Post
    Why would you want to gear it higher in the winter? If you run in snow, there will be more resistence on the truck, and even though its cold outside, you will likely overheat.
    Because in the winter its not always snowing and the cooler air means the motor does not over heat and even in snow its not going to be a prob but the hot summer takes its toll on the esc and motor thats why fans can be good.....peace

Sure in theory a lower ambient temperature will decrease the temp starting point of your motor which should keep it cooler. In my native Misery we don't have much snow either so resistance usually isn't a worry. I know guys in Texas and Arizona have temp problems in the summer from the high ambient temperature.

Good luck on the motor mod and keep us posted on your results.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...