RC Enthusiast

Some Summit questions, please

Hi guys!
    This is my first time posting, but I have been following this community for a pretty long time.
    So, I got my Summit a week ago and already ordered these batteries:
    Are they ok? They should give me some more punch and more runtime, right? Anyway, I got the model with the ESC that has LVC, but I read somewhere that it cuts the power at 3.7v/cell or something like that, am I right?
    Next question: The stock tires are great for offroad and crawling, really love them, but on asphalt they will wear out extremely quick, is that right? So, I was thinking at some CHEAP tires for it, and found the Savage Flux tires, GT2, are they ok for the Summit, for onroad and dirt bashing? I mean, do they fit on the stock hexes?
    Thanks for your answers, really appreciate it.
    And sorry for my english, I'm from Romania.
    Mihai
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-11-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Banned Products

RC Champion
    go spc batts
    tires don't where that quick
    don't know about flux tires, and what esc

Quote Originally Posted by TheMihai View Post
    Hi guys!
    This is my first time posting, but I have been following this community for a pretty long time.
    So, I got my Summit a week ago and already ordered these batteries:
    Are they ok? They should give me some more punch and more runtime, right? Anyway, I got the model with the ESC that has LVC, but I read somewhere that it cuts the power at 3.7v/cell or something like that, am I right?
    Next question: The stock tires are great for offroad and crawling, really love them, but on asphalt they will wear out extremely quick, is that right? So, I was thinking at some CHEAP tires for it, and found the Savage Flux tires, GT2, are they ok for the Summit, for onroad and dirt bashing? I mean, do they fit on the stock hexes?
    Thanks for your answers, really appreciate it.
    And sorry for my english, I'm from Romania.
    Mihai
    Please take note that several brand names that were previously allowed have now been blocked by our language filter. These are brands that come from the banned website based out of Hong Kong. Discussing these products will no longer be allowed on the Traxxas forum and will be treated just like mention of the website they come from has been for some time now. We appreciate your cooperation on this in future posts. This prohibition includes not only links and references, but graphic representations as well.

The retailer you inquired about or referenced is banned because Traxxas claims they have pirated Traxxas product designs. Traxxas therefore will not allow any mention, photo, link, or any other reference of that site or its products on the forum that Traxxas pays for.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Oh, thanks. I thought that they will wear out in the first 2 weeks.
    I am talking about stock esc, the one with low voltage cutoff, EVX-2.

@ksb51rl Really sorry, I promise it won't happen again.

RC Champion
    I forget what the cut off is, sorry

RC Qualifier
    I have seen the savage tires on summits before. If they have 17mm hexes they will work. Whether they will rub on anything that i can not guarantee. Hub extenders will overcome that. I agree with gunslinger9 on the spc batteries. They are great batteries for a great price. One thing i found out with my summit is when you put it in lvd mode and then you put nimh back in it wont come out of lvd mode. What you have to do is put lipos back in and then take out of lvd mode. If you run lipos that are a little tired the voltage sag can make the esc think its hit lvd. What i did is got a low voltage alarm and hooked it to the bec side battery (thats the one with the warning sticker if you didnt take it off) a little velcro mounts it right to the chassis. That battery is the one that drains quicker due to the bec. The low voltage alarm is nice too because it has a digital readout of the voltage of the cells so you can run it right to storage voltage if you want.

RC Qualifier
    I believe the lvc is 3.7 volts but you can safely run a lipo to 3.4 volts which is what the alarm goes off at. I bought some used batts on ebay in a package deal and i got tired of the lvd cutting me off because of voltage sag when the batts still had juice. I got the low voltage alarm on ebay for like $6 if i remember correctly. Its nice cause you can bring the truck around to you and check the voltages of the cells whenever you want. If you have not schooled yourself on lipo safety please do so. Nothing like puffing a $40 or $50 lipo (most are more expensive than that). Been there, done that. Hope this info helps themihai.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoeP View Post
    I believe the lvc is 3.7 volts but you can safely run a lipo to 3.4 volts which is what the alarm goes off at.
    This sentence doesn't make sense LOL. How can you have 3.7 LVC and 3.4 LVA?

Anyways the OP should ask Traxxas directly this is why we pay good money for these RCs, so Traxxas can hire CS reps to answer questions. Don't speculate on a discussion forum about technical data, ask the people that make the product

As for safe Lipo cutoff, here are facts from major manufactures: Castle ESCs default at 3.2v and can be adjusted down to 3.0v. Hobbywing ESCs default at 3.0v and it can adjust down to 2.6v. I use both of these brands.

Personal experience, I've taken Lipos down to 2.7v with no problems. Long story short after the 3.0v cutoff I kept testing the RC and ate some more juice. IMO 3.2v to 3.0v cutoff has worked for me with no issues.

*** edit I've adjusted my statement from safe cutoff to 'what works for me'
    Last edited by maxi single; 02-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    A 3.0v/cell and a 2.6v/cell are both VERY DANGEROUS low voltage cut offs. Do as you wish to your packs, but I highly recommend not suggesting those as safe levels to stop at. The lowest I would set LVC at is 3.4v/cell. This voltage has been proven to be safe. This is why Traxxas ESC's have stage 1 LVC set to around 3.6v/cell and stage 2 LVC at around 3.4v/cell.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Though I beg to differ - from my limited experience - I vote 3.2v/cell.

This just goes to show, it's all up to you! Know that 3.0v per cell is bad, and over 4.2v per cell is bad. You can certainly do 3.0v/cell but some chargers won't even apply a charge if the voltage is lower than that, so just avoid it - besides it's not like it adds even a minute worth of extra driving going from 3.2 to 3.0!

Here's an excellent read about lipos in general, give it a browse! =)

http://www.tmenet.com/pdf/LithiumBatterySecrets.doc.pdf

@ksb51rl Really sorry, I promise it won't happen again.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    This sentence doesn't make sense LOL. How can you have 3.7 LVC and 3.4 LVA?

Anyways the OP should ask Traxxas directly this is why we pay good money for these RCs, so Traxxas can hire CS reps to answer questions. Don't speculate on a discussion forum about technical data, ask the people that make the product

As for safe Lipo cutoff, here are facts from major manufactures: Castle ESCs default at 3.2v and can be adjusted down to 3.0v. Hobbywing ESCs default at 3.0v and it can adjust down to 2.6v. I use both of these brands.

Personal experience, I've taken Lipos down to 2.7v with no problems. Long story short after the 3.0v cutoff I kept testing the RC and ate some more juice. IMO 3.2v to 3.0v cutoff has worked for me with no issues.

* edit I've adjusted my statement from safe cutoff to 'what works for me'
    Traxxas typically does not answer exact specification questions. More usual would be an answer such as "LVD is set to a level that balances run time and battery health." I question whether your "what works for me" statement is backed up by hard data. I will guarantee the the extra couple minutes of sluggish, no-fun run time that you get from lowering the LVC from 3.5 or 3.4 Volts per cell to 3.0 or even 3.2 Volts per cell will sooner rather than later disappear due to capacity and punch lost due to overdischarging.
    The fact is that Castle Creations raised their ESCs' default LVD from 3.0 to 3.2 Volts per cell for a reason. Unfortunately they did not raise it high enough. And Hobbywing...do we really need to address their rather unreliable LVC setting issue? It is well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Though I beg to differ - from my limited experience - I vote 3.2v/cell.

This just goes to show, it's all up to you! Know that 3.0v per cell is bad, and over 4.2v per cell is bad. You can certainly do 3.0v/cell but some chargers won't even apply a charge if the voltage is lower than that, so just avoid it - besides it's not like it adds even a minute worth of extra driving going from 3.2 to 3.0!

Here's an excellent read about lipos in general, give it a browse! =)

http://www.tmenet.com/pdf/LithiumBatterySecrets.doc.pdf
    Again, there is a good reason that some chargers will not apply a charge to LiPo cells having a charge less than 3.0 Volts.
    I cannot understand concept of voltage sag is so hard to grasp. LVC/LVD does not kick in immediately when voltage drops below the set level. There are more factors, like length of time below the set level, number of times the voltage drops below that level in a certain interval, etc. I can tell you that I am sure of this: if you your batteries to an LVC/LVD at 3.0 or even 3.2 Volts per cell, you are (not might be) damaging them EVERY time because momentarily the cell voltages will drop significantly below that figure.
    I don't know how to state in any clearer.

RC Qualifier
    I meant i dont run the evx2 in lipo mode anymore cause it cuts me off due to my tired lipos so i run a lva which lets me know what the voltage is at all times and alarms me at 3.4 volts.Do you understand me ksb51rl ? Didnt mean to cause such a stir.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I question whether your "what works for me" statement is backed up by hard data. I will guarantee the the extra couple minutes of sluggish, no-fun run time that you get from lowering the LVC from 3.5 or 3.4 Volts per cell to 3.0 or even 3.2 Volts per cell will sooner rather than later disappear due to capacity and punch lost due to overdischarging.
    Are you calling me a liar?

Some Summit questions, please

Quote Originally Posted by roscoeP View Post
    I meant i dont run the evx2 in lipo mode anymore cause it cuts me off due to my tired lipos so i run a lva which lets me know what the voltage is at all times and alarms me at 3.4 volts.Do you understand me ksb51rl ? Didnt mean to cause such a stir.
    I'm not sure why you think you caused anything , much less a stir. I often recommend running an LVA along with LVC- or LVD-enabled ESCs.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-12-2014 at 10:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks a ton for your replies, will buy a LVA and install it on the BEC side (hope to hear it though). Lipos will arrive tomorrow.
    Now, one more thing: When the Titan dies or when I want to upgrade, which are my possibilities, and which one do you recommend using?
    1. Dewalt motor on stock esc, 4s lipo.
    2. Kershaw Revolver 700HO(one) stock esc, 4s lipo
    3. Two Titans /Revolvers
    4. Tekin T8 with MMP or some sensored ESC
    5. Two 1/10 B/L Waterproof combos, like the velineon or some castle stuff.
    6. Cheap B/L system, sensored.
    I am searching a good power/speed/torque/battery life/PRICE balance.
    Thanks a ton, I know you guys can help me

I recommend #1 hands down.

2 = basically stock
    3 = overly complicated motor system
    4 = not waterproof
    5 = extremely complicated power system (2 motors, 2 ESC's, 2 batteries; yet still underpowered)
    6 = not waterproof

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you.
    As the "chosen one" is the DeWalt, what pinion gear would suit it? I need more speed and torque than with the titan like the best of both worlds. Now, I don't want to throw away or sell my NiMH-s, but can the DeWalt spin happily on Ni-MH power? If I can't use its full potential, will probably sell them, but want to double check before I do anything wrong.

It depends on motor temps, but some have stepped up to a 17 tooth pinion without exceeding safe operating temperatures.

In my opinion, NiMH is going to struggle to keep up with power demands. Depending on your location, SPC has monster 8200mAh packs for around $100.

The 17t will hurt runtimes.Im going back to 12 or 14t I want the longer runtime back

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks again! I understood, 17t is not an option. But how is the torque/speed with 16t? Is it going at least as fast as with the stock titan?
    I don't want to open a new thread, so I'll ask here. I hear a screeching noise from my summit, especially at low speeds and it doesn't come from the tranny or motor, as it mentains its periodicity (don't know how to call it) at the same speed, in hi and lo gear. What should be the problem?
    Thank you!

Could be a number of factors causing the noise... but most likely is the axles squeaking; which is common.

RC Champion
    ya the summit has a famous squeak when when under acceleration especially. Its caused by the rear diff moving around. A good cure for that is to hot glue the rear diff in. Their is a few posts around here that show it

Or the Titans bushings are getting dry.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend, when you buy the motor from Kershaw, he gives you one pinion free, buy a 12t and a 14t and get the 17t free. The extra pinions are cheap. Try them yourself and see what works for you. I have run the 17t on mine for a year and have had no problems. The 17t has all the low end torque I need and goes a little faster than stock in high gear. I also tried the 19t and 21t pinions. The 19t heated up the motor pretty bad and the 21t just sheared the drive shafts.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    @Crock I read about that, but it squeaks even at 1 km/h, without accelerating.
    @Jamann Never thought of that. Is gearbox oil or some kind of thin car oil good for them? Because I don't really want to spend tons of cash on 1ml of RC stuff.
    But, as I mentioned in the post above, at the same speed, the squeking can be heard the same number of times/minute in low gear and in high gear, so it must be either axles, like Jimmie said, either wheel bearings??

RC Champion
    @Crock I read about that, but it squeaks even at 1 km/h, without accelerating.
    @Jamann Never thought of that. Is gearbox oil or some kind of thin car oil good for them? Because I don't really want to spend tons of cash on 1ml of RC stuff.
    But, as I mentioned in the post above, at the same speed, the squeking can be heard the same number of times/minute in low gear and in high gear, so it must be either axles, like Jimmie said, either wheel bearings??
    Well if your going 1km/h then u are using throttle. Hehe. The squeak comes from the diff shifting slightly and causing the center drive shaft to rub and squeak. Once the diff is hot glued in it solves the problem.. or at least most of it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I use 3in one oil for sewing machines etc.any light oil will do just a drop or two on the front and rear bushings

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Excluding the fact that it is not waterproof, a sensored brushless setup would destroy the stock differentials and the locking mechanism?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks again! I understood, 17t is not an option. But how is the torque/speed with 16t? Is it going at least as fast as with the stock titan?
    I don't want to open a new thread, so I'll ask here. I hear a screeching noise from my summit, especially at low speeds and it doesn't come from the tranny or motor, as it mentains its periodicity (don't know how to call it) at the same speed, in hi and lo gear. What should be the problem?
    Thank you!
    I might actually have to differ a bit on the 17T and Dewalt run time being too low.

I run that exact setup, and with a SPC racing 6500 mah 2s lipos when I am just trailing or crawling in low gear, I get over 2hrs of run time. And just a few days ago with about 75% low gear and 25% high gear running, I was getting about 1 hr of run time on a venom 5000 mah batteries with the Dewalt and 17T pinion.

Now to me those are great run times. But I will also admit that what I think are adequate run times may not be an adequate run time for someone else. Like said above if you go to a 14T with the Dewalt run time will certainly be increased (as well as torque). So if you want to maximize those definitely go with the 14T.

Just wanted it out there that the 17T does still put out some more then adequate run times with a 5000 mah and up battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excluding the fact that it is not waterproof, a sensored brushless setup would destroy the stock differentials and the locking mechanism?
    That depends on your throttle finger.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright, I'm buying the DeWalt, it seems like a good and tested motor for this big boy.

Took the Summit out today for some grass/jumps action and that squeaking noise is driving me nuts!! It got even louder! I searched this forum a little bit, after lubing my motor (that didn't fix the squeak) and I think I have to lube my axles and center driveshafts, right? Also the wheel bearings might be, but it sounds like plastic on plastic or plastic on metal. Would motorcycle chain lube do the job? Just realized that the squeak can be heard only at low speeds.
    Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Please take note that several brand names that were previously allowed have now been blocked by our language filter. These are brands that come from the banned website based out of Hong Kong. Discussing these products will no longer be allowed on the Traxxas forum and will be treated just like mention of the website they come from has been for some time now. We appreciate your cooperation on this in future posts. This prohibition includes not only links and references, but graphic representations as well.I

The retailer you inquired about or referenced is banned because Traxxas claims they have pirated Traxxas product designs. Traxxas therefore will not allow any mention, photo, link, or any other reference of that site or its products on the forum that Traxxas pays for.
    Is there a list of banned brands? I have an idea of what brands you are talking about, but I can't seem to find a list. I'm not questioning the rules, I just want to know so I can stay on the right side of them.

There is no list. If you have a good idea (the text I posted should have left little doubt) then you don't need to worry about others. Banning a company, site, or brand is not done casually or lightly. Only those showing marked anti-Traxxas sentiment or behavior are treated this way.

RC Champion
    Alright, I'm buying the DeWalt, it seems like a good and tested motor for this big boy.

Took the Summit out today for some grass/jumps action and that squeaking noise is driving me nuts!! It got even louder! I searched this forum a little bit, after lubing my motor (that didn't fix the squeak) and I think I have to lube my axles and center driveshafts, right? Also the wheel bearings might be, but it sounds like plastic on plastic or plastic on metal. Would motorcycle chain lube do the job? Just realized that the squeak can be heard only at low speeds.
    Thanks!
    Eather you missed my second post about the squeak or u don't believe me. Take the center drive shaft covers off and you will probably see a very light mark on the rear shaft from where it rubs when throttle is applied and the diff twists slightly and rubs. i spent countless hours chasing down this squeak. mine was 100% gone until the glue broke loos since i did not put near enough in their as it was just a test at the time

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks Crock! The shaft has a mark, which obviously is there because of the shaft scratching the housing, or I don't know what. It must be the diff moving.
    One more thing:
    After about 20 packs, even more, the Titan has one of the brushes almost flat, the waves can still be seen, but the other one is just like in the first day! Not even 10% worn! Is it normal?