RC poster

Another Pede 4x4 Newbie.

Hey All,

New to this hobby and pretty stoked about it. I totally jumped in with both feet. Bought the 2 kids,myself and the wife a new Trxs truck each for Christmas. So much for staying on budget !!!!

Anyhow I bought the Pede 4x4. ( Great truck out of the box ) I just have a couple questions. As I will be doing 99% of the maintenance on the RC trucks any tips on general care for them. example.... cleaning, types of grease , things to watch for, things I will need right away etc etc. I have already bought 2 extra faster battery chargers. one does both Lipo and Nimh. I have aslo purchased extra batteries for all trucks.

As for the Pede 4x4 what would be the best 2 or 3 easy upgrades that won't break the bank? and what exactly do they improve? I will be getting the Outwears cover soon I hope.

Thanks for any help.
    Cheers

RC Qualifier
    There are a lot of threads here and Youtube videos on maintenance.
    The first and only stock part on my p4de that broke without user assistance was the bearing insise the rear of the chassis. A five dollar part and a ten minute fix. Basically when it failed it would not keep the drive shaft in place in back so the truck was a front wheel drive.
    If you run higher power than 2s or switch to more aggressive tires you will probably start snapping drive shafts. Look into MIP Tekno or Traxxas metal replacements.
    Buy a temp gun if you dont have one. Craftsman makes a cheapie like 25 bucks it will work fine for you. Use it to monitor your motor temps you want to keep that motor under @ 165 most would say.
    Keep us posted. Welcome to the money pit. (cough) I mean hobby.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Qualifier
    I think mark c meant stub axles and or half shafts. The drive shaft is already metal. +1 on the temp gun. You may want to have extra axle carriers on hand too. I have spare axle carriers, half shafts, A-arms, stub axles, and other miscelanneous stuff on hand at all times. When I use a spare part, I immediately replace it so I'm never without a replacement. Theres nothing worse than being 5 minutes into a great bashing session with the wife, and breaking something without having the parts to replace it. Then it's GAME OVER, pack up and go home, or to the hobby shop.
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

Hi dude welcome to the forum always use good bearing oil and use dry ice lube on moving parts because it goes dry and does not let dirt stick to it. replace all plastic parts with rpm when they break and use mips or teknos or traxxas steel cvds if you run hard. one thing to do as soon as you can is traxxas bearing adaptor part no.6893x......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    I am 1 month into owning a Stampede and it is my 1st RC. Day1 my mounting tabs on my ESC broke, I think one screw was loose so the weight transfer to the other tab causing it to break. I would double check that things are tight so they don't loosen up and break. I have also upgraded to RPM a-arms, king headz motor mount and aluminum bearing adapter, engine heat sink w/fan, esc fan, proline trencher tires(stock talons suck IMO), big bore shocks, t-bone racing servo guard and front bumper. Also, every screw I take out, I replace with stainless steel ones w/blue loc-tight. I have a heat gun, but am in the process of adding telemetry sensors for speed/rpm/temp/voltage. Also have RPM shock gaurds on order. It's fun, addicting, but can be expensive. The rest of the stuff I will just replace with RPM or aluminum parts as I break them.
    Last edited by Skaling; 01-10-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added more info

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-wheelin View Post
    Theres nothing worse than being 5 minutes into a great bashing session with the wife, and breaking something
    . HAHA this made me laugh. Dirty mind, sorry.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
    . HAHA this made me laugh. Dirty mind, sorry.
    LOL, youre right, that is funny .
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

RC Competitor
    Crew33, I see u are from Surrey, I bash at Cloverdale athletic park BMX track. Where about in surrey u at?

RC poster
    Thanks for all the tips.

I haven't found a hobby that didn't cost a small fortune. At least this one I can spend time with the family while I'm going broke....lol.

I'll take my time and replace things as needed. With four new Traxxas vehicles I won't be in a big hurry to do a lot of upgrades to soon. I'd like to build up a spares kit though. So that will be the project in the near future. Are the tools that come with the vehicles adequate or will I need a better tool kit? If so where would I find one.

Please keep the tips coming.
    Cheers

RC poster
    Crew33, I see u are from Surrey, I bash at Cloverdale athletic park BMX track. Where about in surrey u at?
    I'm close to Cloverdale. 64th and 152 area. Are you talking about the BMX track on 64th by the soccer fields?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Crew33 View Post
    I'm close to Cloverdale. 64th and 152 area. Are you talking about the BMX track on 64th by the soccer fields?
    ya, its on 168 and 64 th. it be good to take your family there to use the stampedes.. Lots of open space, both grass and gravel fields. The bmx track is big and lots of jumps.

RC poster
    ya, its on 168 and 64 th. it be good to take your family there to use the stampedes.. Lots of open space, both grass and gravel fields. The bmx track is big and lots of jumps.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to try it out for sure. I googled RC tracks in the lower mainland and found a youtube of a big RC track in Aldergrove. Not sure if it's still around. Where are you buying your parts ? Any good local HS ? Again thanks for your help.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Crew33 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to try it out for sure. I googled RC tracks in the lower mainland and found a youtube of a big RC track in Aldergrove. Not sure if it's still around. Where are you buying your parts ? Any good local HS ? Again thanks for your help.
    the best hobby store I have found is RC pitstop, it's on 200 and 64th, south west corner. Good service, good knowledge, and good stock of parts.
    I also shop online, eBay, manufacture websites, *********, towerhobbies. Depends on the $ and if I need a part right away.

RC Qualifier
    As for cheap and good up grades a slash rear bumper with wheel is way better than the stock wheelie bar and it will help your bodies last a lot longer

O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Competitor
    ^^ I like that rear bumper, do know the part # for that? Is it RPM?

RC Qualifier
    ^^ I like that rear bumper, do know the part # for that? Is it RPM?
    It's a traxxas part and it's around $10

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXYSN9&P=8
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's