Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This may have been covered already, but how much fluid are you guys putting in these diffs? I've noticed that with pretty much every sealed diff I've ever used (1/10th and 1/8th) that if you fill them more than halfway, the fluid will push out. It's not that it's leaking. More that there's too much fluid and when you assemble it and sandwich everything together, there's not enough room for all the fluid. So it's naturally gonna push out wherever it can (bolts and/or seals) under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by teamfx3 View Post
    FYI, base your gear oil selection on your track temps. I just installed the HR sealed diff in mine last night with 30k gear oil as was suggested above and I may as well have installed a spool! In the low 30* temps at our indoor track that oil was like molasses causing the diff to not diff and constantly want to spin my truck out. Tough lesson learned for me today.
    I only race in the summer so the 30k is what worked for me in the Misery (Missouri) summers where temps get to the mid-90's F.

So these tracks you race on indoors are in an unheated building?
    Last edited by O.G.; 02-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I race in a heated indoor track in winter, and of course outdoors in the summer. The track is relatively warm, I've never measured the temperature but I would imagine about 20 C (68 F).

I keep my track slash in the garage and its probably 20F out there tonight. I'll check the diff when I get home and see if it's noticeably tighter.

RC Qualifier
    Surely if diff oil is so temperature dependant this should be documented somewhere. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    Surely if diff oil is so temperature dependant this should be documented somewhere. Right?
    Silicone oil is nowhere near as temp sensitive as non-silicone fluid. It is affected by temps to some extent, but after a few laps, it shouldn't really matter too much. You've got the heat from the motor and the heat caused by the diff working. Silicone shock oil is affected much more than diff fluid by ambient temps since they're exposed to the elements more, but I've never had to change more than a 5wt increment when racing on an unheated indoor track in the middle of winter as opposed to an outdoor track during mid-summer. Here in South Jersey we're talking 30's-40's during the winter indoor season and 80's-90's+ in the summer.

What a terrific thread. Very well done. I like the look of those diffs, alot. Im going to have to pick me up a 4 of em or so for my modded Trx 2wds. Well done.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

4!!! I like it.

When you jump on a plan you jump in with both feet!

This differential is as well made as my FLM and Swami-RC diffs. I am really impressed with it, and the leaks could be attributed to overfilling the diff as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I keep my track slash in the garage and its probably 20F out there tonight. I'll check the diff when I get home and see if it's noticeably tighter.
    I played with the tires on the Slash and can't tell if it the differential is stiffer or not due to the weather. Temps outside are about 38F.

RC Competitor
    So it's been 2 weeks since this thread has been active, anymore thoughts on the diff? I'm interested in it but am holding off until I replace my bushings with bearings and see how people are fairing with the diff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Seems as though most feedback is positive. Think my diamondback needs one...
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

I don't have a single negative thing to report about the diff, but I haven't been driving it much due to the weather. This summer i'll put more miles on it so I might have more to report.

This differential looks and works as good as the FLM diff at about half the price. Unless you're a hard-core buy American guy, I say go with the HR.
    Last edited by O.G.; 03-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.

This differential is still going strong. I have had some leakage to date, but the diff is at least half full so I'd call it a $28 success.

Who else has bought one of these?

RC Qualifier
    i got one in my rustler along with the hr trans case and i love it, its adjustable and is so much better then the stock plastic one +1 for hr sealed diff
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Competitor
    Well it sounds like I'll be picking one up soon. I need a new radio trans/receiver first, the stock AM one I have has poor range and I get a lot of interference where I bash.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RC Qualifier
    For the price you can't beat it. I picked one up two months ago for my p2de. Been bashing it pretty hard. No problems. Handles better than stock diff. Haven't looked at it since I installed it. Curious about if any fluid leaked out. Did use Teflon in the screws. Love the color.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Now all we need is a clear rpm gearbox so we can see the anodizing while running the truck. I cant wait to get a ton of money so I can buy all the things I want... Oh wait, I have to wait lol!
    Whats in my wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Now all we need is a clear rpm gearbox so we can see the anodizing while running the truck. I cant wait to get a ton of money so I can buy all the things I want... Oh wait, I have to wait lol!
    I like the sound of a clear gearbox. Is there one in development? That would be kewel, unless you packed the stock diff with grey grease then it wouldn't be so clear...

In a perfect world they would supply invisi-grease 8)
    Whats in my wallet?

My HR differential sprang a leak sometime in the past couple of weeks. I don't have any pics yet and haven't investigated why, but it sure is leaking. It was seeping before installation, but I think it's leaking a bit faster after some run time.

RC Champion
    I have been running the new HR sealed diff in the HR tranny and all has been good so far.

I use 50k weight oil right now and only takes a lap or two to loosen up the oil (tends to push a little in the corners at first). If I wasn't so lazy I change to 30k.

But me likey alot.... I fell it would be a good upgrade to the stock tranny.... And way less costly than the Proline tranny I have in my other Slash.....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I got this same diff for my SCR (short course Rusty) have yet to use but im glad to see many approve despite it slight leaking flaw. I too had leaking screws before i even installed it into the trans case. I ended up using teflon tape to seal the screws and so far so go.

Earlier in the post replacement oring were brought up. I found a web site that seems to be a HR dealer and they sell a replacement oring kit for $3 (US Dollars)

http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?par...RyYQ6q4siZGA6w

I used 50k weight silicone fluid and should have my SCR running by this weekend. Check out my build thread.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Qualifier
    here is some good info i just read about filling diffs.....

Most diffs nowadays are durable, and the oils don’t usually leak out. However it is a good idea to put grease on the outdrive shaft oring or seal. It reduces wear as well as helps to keep the oil in the diff. When filling a diff it’s important to remember 2 things:

1. Do not put too much oil in. The pressure in the diff will increase too much and the oil will leak out.

2. Fill it in a way that you can always put the same amount of oil in. This way your set up will be consistent.

One way to fill the diff a suitable amount, is to fill it so that the diff cross-pins are covered by about 1mm of oil at the centre. It’s a good idea to rotate the outdrive so trapped air gets out, and if needed, more oil can be added.

RC Qualifier
    My HR differential sprang a leak sometime in the past couple of weeks. I don't have any pics yet and haven't investigated why, but it sure is leaking. It was seeping before installation, but I think it's leaking a bit faster after some run time.
    Mine is still totally leak free! Mind you the Bandit has been getting less use since I got a race buggy.

FWIW, the sealed geared diff in my non-Traxxas race buggy seeps and did need grease on the out drives to make it leak less. Dealing with a supposedly sealed diff from a different manufacturer has made me REALLY appreciate what HR has done with this diff. Its freaking brilliant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NvDesertRat96 View Post
    here is some good info i just read about filling diffs.....

Most diffs nowadays are durable, and the oils don’t usually leak out. However it is a good idea to put grease on the outdrive shaft oring or seal. It reduces wear as well as helps to keep the oil in the diff. When filling a diff it’s important to remember 2 things:

1. Do not put too much oil in. The pressure in the diff will increase too much and the oil will leak out.

2. Fill it in a way that you can always put the same amount of oil in. This way your set up will be consistent.

One way to fill the diff a suitable amount, is to fill it so that the diff cross-pins are covered by about 1mm of oil at the centre. It’s a good idea to rotate the outdrive so trapped air gets out, and if needed, more oil can be added.
    Good tips. I'll go a step further. Use Associated green slime on the o-rings instead of standard grease. It's amazing stuff! I use it on all my gear diff o-rings and also on shock o-rings.

As for filling the diff, an even more accurate way is to use those little lines on the side of most diff and shock oil bottles. In other words, measure by volume and you will have 100% accuracy every time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Good tips. I'll go a step further. Use Associated green slime on the o-rings instead of standard grease. It's amazing stuff! I use it on all my gear diff o-rings and also on shock o-rings.
    That's actually what I use, but I've had conflicting reports on grease being better than Green Slime.

Thats awesome that you found the o-rings!

Just noticed this at the bottom, Guess you can call them to find out how to contact HR, as I have never been able to:
    this product is made by: Hot Racing
    logo for Hot Racing
    Hot Racing
    PO Box 2138

Temple City, CA 91780
    http://www.hot-racing.com/

All warranties and guarantees, including missing items, are handled directly by the manufacturer of that item. Should there be any problem with a product, you (The Customer) will need to contact the manufacturer to obtain service. Manufacturer contact information is available upon request. We must be contacted for a return authorization number before returning items for any reason. We cannot accept returned items that have been opened or are not in their original sealed factory containers.
    Last edited by rag6; 04-10-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Whats in my wallet?

Anyone have an update on their HR differential?

RC Qualifier
    I just did 8 races this weekend in the Traction Showdown and it preformed flawlessly. No leaks, no breakage, solid consistent launches, smooth in the turns with out any pushing. Honestly i like it better than the Proline Ball diff i was using. I have a STRC Slash 2wd aka STR (Short Course Rusty) and we race on super sticky glass smooth clay and having a diff that acts like a spool on launches and open in the turns is very important and the HR does the trick. Next on the wish list is the HR tranny to match the diff.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have an update on their HR differential?
    Awesome read yet again, but I have ordered FLM.

O-rings are standard world wide (from what I know anyway, I use 7 kits to replace all o-rings) they work on crush, that means that when they are squashed between two mating surfaces they are crushed and expand in the opposite plane, to fill the recess that is machined, (hope that makes sense????) If your O-rings leak either, the machining is wrong, the O-ring is wrong or the O-ring is damaged on install, or from age (and trust me working with pressures in hydraulics it does not take much damage for an O-ring to leak) therefore if you have a leak at such low pressures, check the O-ring has not hardened from high temps, and if it is still soft measure cross section and look for slightly larger size, or buy FLM.

T.A.C
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Qualifier
    Old thread, probably the same question I know.
    Get the FLM tomorrow with luck, so for diff oil weight and quantity??? what have you guys got figured out, as I see it you guys were messing with this stuff right in the beginning of time itself.

Motor - 3500 Velieon
    Battery - 2S
    Gearing - Stock gearing
    Driver - 13 year old son (and maybe some driving by the old man)
    track - only one within 200 miles (loose) mostly bashing about.

I just did 8 races this weekend in the Traction Showdown and it preformed flawlessly. No leaks, no breakage, solid consistent launches, smooth in the turns with out any pushing. Honestly i like it better than the Proline Ball diff i was using. I have a STRC Slash 2wd aka STR (Short Course Rusty) and we race on super sticky glass smooth clay and having a diff that acts like a spool on launches and open in the turns is very important and the HR does the trick. Next on the wish list is the HR tranny to match the diff.
    Happy to hear its working for you and your truck. I also have the lcg Slash/Rusty.

What weight fluid did you use in the differential? You'll really like the HR trans case.

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=Team arsy car;5493795]Old thread, probably the same question I know.
    Get the FLM tomorrow with luck, so for diff oil weight and quantity??? what have you guys got figured out, as I see it you guys were messing with this stuff right in the beginning of time itself.
    QUOTE]
    For dirt track racing, I use 50,000wt Mugen Diff Oil in my FLM diffs (Rustler and LCG Slash) and it works well, especially on power corner exits. I fill mine to about the 2/3 level. If any oozes out when you put the final screws in to seal it up you know you used too much (did that the first time!)
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Champion
    ummm I like the price tag on that, how is it comparativelyy to the one that flm has.....
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    ummm I like the price tag on that, how is it comparativelyy to the one that flm has.....
    Last I checked it was about half the cost. HR was $26-28, FLM was $55

RC Qualifier
    Last I checked it was about half the cost. HR was $26-28, FLM was $55
    I must of got lucky for once, as I jagged a FLM for well under $50.00.

Mr Wolf Thanks, 50,000wt it is straight up.

RC Qualifier
    Happy to hear its working for you and your truck. I also have the lcg Slash/Rusty.

What weight fluid did you use in the differential? You'll really like the HR trans case.
    i was using 50k weight AE oil

RC Qualifier
    got the RPM hybrid gear case today with the 3 degree camber...anyway opened up my HR diff and everything looked great inside I am super pleased with this buy. Im gonna refill with 100k this time since it was suggested to me at the Showdown. Ill let ya know tomorrow or later tonight how it goes after club races tonight.

got the RPM hybrid gear case today with the 3 degree camber...anyway opened up my HR diff and everything looked great inside I am super pleased with this buy. Im gonna refill with 100k this time since it was suggested to me at the Showdown. Ill let ya know tomorrow or later tonight how it goes after club races tonight.
    Post some pics of the installation. I'd like to see the details of that transmission case.

I'm going to try some 50k fluid in my HR diff when I get some more parts in. I'm in the middle if an update on the Pede and it'll include practically removing the trans case so I might as well do it now.