RC Champion

How to install a Hitec 5086 servo

I figured I'd share my experiences as I install this servo and hopefully help someone in the future wanting to know what mods need to be done to install the 5086.

Here's what I'm starting with. It's actually a Rally but the 16ths are all the same when it comes to this. It's been stripped of its electronics just to make some room to work. The servo linkage was taken off at the servo and at the steering arm.

As you can see... the servo is just slightly larger than the hole in the chassis. I sanded and filed the hole in the chassis a little bit, took the servo apart, and put the output side of the servo up in the bottom of the chassis. As you can see, it fit perfectly after some sanding of the chassis and some filing of the tabs on the servo which you can't see in this picture. I then put the servo back together with the output side of the case still in the chassis. This was the only way to do it due to the huge knob on the side of the servo where the wires exit. The inside of the servo is impressive compared to the 2080 by the way.

I also cut down the double sided horn that came with the servo so that it was only one single arm. The next post will include attaching all of the steering linkage.

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    nice write up!

RC Champion

Could it be that easy? Sure enough.. That's it. I tapped the 1st hole in the servo horn (closest to shaft) and attached all of the old linkage. Works great on the bench... tomorrow will be testing.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Looks good. Trying to get my 5085 servo horn to fit in.

5085 should drop right in (servo wire may take some convincing) does on the 85mg anyways.
    Nice to see the 5086 fit in with a bit of finesse
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Very good How To with nice pics to go along with it!
    Can't ask for better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get some rod ends and make it a little longer then stock
    The hitec servo shaft comes out closer to the edge of the servo then the stock one

RC Champion
    She's rollin! I did a little test run in the basement and it worked very well. This is definitely a nice servo. The only thing is my throttle and steering were both reversed. Could that be related to the new servo? That's all I changed. I set them back to normal... just strange how they got flipped.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Usually just the servo. Not the throttle!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Usually just the servo. Not the throttle!
    +1 i installed the 5086w and only had to reverse servo direction for steering, shouldn't affect throttle!

Good write up!

RC Racer
    might of been the esc needing resynced to the remote i know my merv has flipped on me twice but only when i change the batteries out on my remote

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You had the motor off. Did you mix up the 3 motor wires? If so don't switch it by the radio you will have full reverse and limited forward. Reverse it back and switch two motor wires and you will be good

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    You had the motor off. Did you mix up the 3 motor wires? If so don't switch it by the radio you will have full reverse and limited forward. Reverse it back and switch two motor wires and you will be good
    Good thought! And completely possible seeing that I have black shrink wrap covering the color coded ends. I checked while typing this post and you were right. White was hooked up to yellow and yellow to white. I thought it seemed awful punchy in reverse... but hard to tell in the basement.

RC Qualifier
    I just did this mod and installed my HiTec 5086WP steering servo.

I just shaved a little off the front end of the mounting hole.
    Took the servo apart and mounted the servo from the bottom, replaced the mounting screws, then closed the servo.

I used the horn that came with the servo.
    I cut off the end that I did not need, and drilled and tapped the second hole on the horn.

As for the steering linkage, I used shock rod ends and cut the head off a #2 machine screw that I had sitting in my garage. Lined them up and installed.

I like it so far, but I think I would like a new servo horn. The stock HiTec one seems rather thin and fragile.

We'll see how long that lasts.

Here's the only pic I took of my linkage:

I cut open the servo guard to have better access. I have the T-Bone Racing 4-Piece Chassis Brace so it does not bother me.

Forgot...
    I cut the front battery tray vent to relieve the servo's wires
    and also had to reverse the servo steering direction.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-13-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: merge
    Mini E-Revo VXL / E-Maxx 3906 / LaTrax Teton

RC Qualifier
    UPDATE: I got an aluminum servo horn by The Toyz that is a direct replacement for a HiTec (24T) servo for the MERV:

Mini E-Revo VXL / E-Maxx 3906 / LaTrax Teton

RC Competitor
    Very nice. I think I will have to get one of these some day. I am contemplating a hopped up waterproof merv for use on the beach (and simply rinse it with fresh water afterwards). This waterproof HiTec sounds like a good option as the servo.

Any thoughts on the setup? Haven't given it too thought yet...

- Castle sidewinder v3 ESC
    - Velineon stock motor (any suggestions here? Don't think the Neu 1105 or 1110 I got are waterproof?)
    - Titanium screw set

RC Qualifier
    This will help a lot of people (and it has a logical title for easy searching - hint)
    Good job all
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.