I figured I'd share my experiences as I install this servo and hopefully help someone in the future wanting to know what mods need to be done to install the 5086.
Here's what I'm starting with. It's actually a Rally but the 16ths are all the same when it comes to this. It's been stripped of its electronics just to make some room to work. The servo linkage was taken off at the servo and at the steering arm.
As you can see... the servo is just slightly larger than the hole in the chassis. I sanded and filed the hole in the chassis a little bit, took the servo apart, and put the output side of the servo up in the bottom of the chassis. As you can see, it fit perfectly after some sanding of the chassis and some filing of the tabs on the servo which you can't see in this picture. I then put the servo back together with the output side of the case still in the chassis. This was the only way to do it due to the huge knob on the side of the servo where the wires exit. The inside of the servo is impressive compared to the 2080 by the way.
I also cut down the double sided horn that came with the servo so that it was only one single arm. The next post will include attaching all of the steering linkage.
Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!