RC poster

Newbie Asks - How To Lipo

So I decided that I would get myself (Through my wife and kids) a Slash 4X4 for X-Mas. Best present I have received in a long time. Love it. I used to race RC10's back 85/86/87 time. Went off to school and the hobby fell by the wayside. Got this truck and I love the feeling again. Since there were no Lipo's and the chargers were very simple I have read a lot about charging. I picked up a lipo battery, but I am at a loss on how I should set the truck up with the speed control. I tried reading the manual, but it is dry and a tough read. Does anyone know a video where they show how to run Lipo's in the Slash. Or does anyone has an easy to understand pdf of what to do. I don't want to kill the battery first time out with it. That is my main concern and what is always in bold.

I am sure I will have a million questions, so thanks in advance for the help.

RC Competitor
    You want to turn on the low voltage cut off on. When you turn on the esc the light should be green. If its red don't run it with the lipo. Lets say its red when you turn it on. To get it green. Turn it on and take your finger of it. Then press and hold it untill it turns green and you will here a noise from the motor. That's it you good the go. Hope this helps.

RC Competitor
    Just to further what pitola said. When you change from red to green on the ESC you have to hold for 10 full seconds. I will seem like a long time when you do it.

RC Racer
    Simple rule to remember - the light on the ESC:

RED = NIMH batteries (voltage cut-off disabled)

GREEN = LIPO batteries (voltage cut-off enabled)

You want to run LIPOs with the voltage cut-off enabled because if you run LIPOs down to zero - you will kill them...the voltage cut-off, stops the drain on the battery at a certain voltage level so that some charge remains in the LIPO battery.

Hope this helps!
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Don't be discouraged with lipo batteries. You'll get more run time and more punch with lipos. The other good thing is that you don't have to spend all your time cycling and peaking your cells. If you are a good shopper, lipos are actually cheaper than nimh"s.
    Team Greyhound: the 40+ mph club

Okay here you go..
    A 2s lipo battery- 7.4v
    This battery will be charged to 8.4v (4.2v per cell)
    Make sure your charger can charge lipo and balence charge
    You NEED to balence charge it or the "Heath" of the battery will decrease

How to turn on lipo cut off on your esc was mentioned
    But this wasn't
    The cut-off happens when the esc senses low voltage
    Your power will be greatly decreased and soon all power will be gone

Now take off the body and you will see the led on the esc flashing red
    Unplug battery.

If you don't need to use it for awile charge to 3.80v per cell (in this case 2s so 7.60v) -storage voltage

If your using it after discharge fully charge it

Never let it discharge below 3.2v per cell -2s lipo = 6.4v

Hope I helped
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I'm going to hop in here as well and ask a couple questions.

I just bought a Slash 4x4 base model off the ol' Craigslist, and after figuring out the previous owner had the ESC set up for lipo, I got it running on my NIMHs. Yay.

Anyway, from the looks of things, everyone is running 2 or 3 cell lipos on their rigs...what would I need to get that set up for mine?
    More specifically, will I need to buy special adapters for the lipo charger and batteries to fit my Traxxas plugs?

RC Champion
    Just find a Lipo with the traxxas plugs. SPC has some cheap lipos with optional traxxas plugs and you need a special lipo charger. Traxxas has one but its kinda expensive. The one i got is from duratrax.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC poster
    Thanks, I just purchased the Onyx 235 and a couple batteries.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zondernaam View Post
    Thanks, I just purchased the Onyx 235 and a couple batteries.
    That's the same charger I have. It's great once you program in your batteries. Only thing I wish it had was a storage mode. But it's easy to overlook with a charger this good!

RC poster
    There are a lot of good lipo batteries out there and most have different connectors so just pick up some traxxas connectors and solder them on very easy but if you don't want to do it most hobby shops can for a fee. Just a suggestion.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info everyone. There is a difference as the Lipo has such a quick jump for a stand still. It's pretty great. I, of course, did not switch the battery spacer so the the first time I wrecked the cotter pin popped off and the battery flew around. The truck came with a bigger spacer that will work for the lipo, but what do you suggest. The ones that came with the truck are Double stick tape. Are there ones that allow for easy switch between the Lipo and the Nimh 7 Cell that came with the truck. Thanks again for all the info.