Thread: Shock upgrade

RC Competitor

Shock upgrade

Wondering what would be a good upgrade to the stock shocks on the pede 4x4. My truck seems to bottom out considerably and these shocks are only 2 weeks old. Cannot say I am a huge fan of the stockers. Is there anyway to make them stiffer besides the included spacers?

Seems the front is sitting lower then the rear which looks cool but really is not functional.

RC Enthusiast
    big Bores seem to be the favorite of the forum. I put them on my son's truck. You can also put heavier shock oil in them to help a bit.

RC Racer
    Or you can go with the proline's. A very well made shock and adjusting is a snap

Andrew

RC Qualifier
    The stock shocks are excellent you just need to learn now to tune your suspension. New shocks won't fix your problem. You need heavier weight oil (60wt is a good start) and and possibly stiffer springs. I would also start reading about suspension tuning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    What slaughter said. No need to buy new shocks, just tune/rebuild them. Different oil, springs, pistons, they are all your friends. Preload spacers don't change the stiffness of the suspension, they only adjust the ride height.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverdaddy View Post
    Wondering what would be a good upgrade to the stock shocks on the pede 4x4. My truck seems to bottom out considerably and these shocks are only 2 weeks old. Cannot say I am a huge fan of the stockers. Is there anyway to make them stiffer besides the included spacers?

Seems the front is sitting lower then the rear which looks cool but really is not functional.
    If you think about it, on a 4X4 you WANT the front sitting lower when it's static. That's because when you nail the throttle the weight transfers to the back so under load it's more level. This is most obvious when you do a wheelie, in which case there's zero weight on the front tires. Also, there's more weight in the back half of the truck than their is in the front if you weigh each corner.
    After you exhaust the tuning possibilities and get more familiar with your truck and how it handles, then you can try other springs and then other shocks (least cost options first). You can get a set of VGA jumping springs if you want stiff. I'm probably going to cut a few coils on mine as they're really a bit too tall/stiff. I like the Traxxas aluminum big bores and run them with 50 wt. oil. I've experimented with front and rear sway bars and I think it handles best with the lighter bar on the front and nothing on the back. Then again, what's good depends on the surface conditions that you're running on.

RC Enthusiast
    I am noticing this to with the slash. After two weeks and one race my shocks don't spring back up all the way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    which stiffer springs are you using? i also think my Pede is bottoming out a lot!