Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

New Rally 1/10 owner, seeking basic advice

Greetings!

37y/o hobbyist here.... 19-year AF vet.... retiring in just over a year. 25 year musician..... semi-pro car builder/restorer/hotrodder/ and amateur race driver...... Harley Davidson enthusiast..... and lover of alll things excessive, senseless, and expensive!!

A few weeks ago a co-worker brought his Traxxas Rustler VXL into work during the Holiday season when work was slow (your tax dollars hard t work)... he let me drive it.... and it brought be back to my childhood through my early 20s when I was huge into RC cars..... Had an RT-10 if I recall.... or something like that. At the time, it was relatively high-end.

Nevertheless, I have been on the hunt for one myself.... and finally pulled the trigger on a 1/10 Rally a couple hours ago. Should be arriving early next week! After much research, I chose it because of it's on and off road capability and versatility... keeps things interesting.

No batteries, chargers or anything yet.... just the car.

I've owned/built/restored over 30 cars in my day.. half were new, the other half were classics. Everything from Vintage Porsches to Classic Trans Ams..... to modern Subarus. This R/C thing is an extension of my passion for cars..... and also an additional hobby to keep me busy while I travel. I'm a mobile instructor in the USAF.... which means I am travelling about 4-5 months out of the year, in 2 to 5 week "chunks" at a time. 2013 will bring me to Florida, England, North Dakota, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Italy.

Which brings me to my next point. I know the Rally is relatively new, so there isn't a lot of aftermarket support (yet) for it..... but I am absolutely DETERMINED to build this Rally to match my 2006 Subaru WRX. Color, wheels, etc. I plan on purchasing several sets of wheels with various tires, obviously upgrading to a 3S Lipo..... and obviously engineering a way to properly mount an aftermarket WRX 1/10 body on to it.

I've done quite a bit of reading... gearing, suspension, batteries, chargers wheels, tires, etc.... but any good advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated

My motivation: My 2006 Subaru WRX - Stage 3 turbo, 390 hp, big brakes, full coilovers, etc. I've been building it for 7 years and have well over $20k in receipts. I built it to run at Miller Motorsports Park on the track when I was stationed in Utah..... and it did quite well

Anyway... looking forward to meeting everyone. Thanks!

This a couple years old.... next to the 78 Brat I spent 2 years restoring:

Last edited by ninefourteener; 01-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Congrats and welcome back
    Nice cars!!!
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Champion

Unhappy

Welcome the forum's!

The rally is closer in scale size to a 1/8 offroad buggy. There are subaru body's out there that you can get, but very expensive and when they do come up they are gone, quick. Deltaplastiks does make a Subaru body, but I do not remember the year model they use. For the wheel's and tire's you may want to look into using 1/8 scale buggy wheel's. 1/8 rim's come in a variety of spoke pattern's, just take the time and you'll be able to find something close or exactly what you are looking for.

maybe these?
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Buggy-Wheels-2

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...8-Buggy-Rims-4

You will want a bigger power system, like the Castle 2400 SCT combo running 3s and 4s to have power like your subaru.

Again welcome to the site and Hey I live in Italy, stationed at Aviano AB. My wife is active duty and I work on the installation. We should get together and run our RC's when you come. There are some cool spot's and a track that is local. let me know when you are coming and we can meet up.

Have a good day.

P.S. I owned a 2002 WRX modded, sold it due to family growth.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Welcome to the forum & congrats on the purchase. While the chassis and a handful of parts are new the rest of the car has been around a little while. There are upgrades and mods out there to better it or make it your own.

I don't totally practice this but just take the car out of the box and have fun with it until something breaks. I'm sure you are like the rest of us and want to upgrade it right off the bat. RPM is pretty much a good upgrade for a-arms and such. Aluminum c-blocks & bearing carriers by Traxxas, STRC, & FLM beef up the 4 corners. There are many choices on shocks, the new Traxxas GTR's (come on the new Slash 4x4 LCG ultimate), Traxxas Big Bores, Losi Ten-T's, or Proline Power Strokes (kinda high). Some of these have to be purchased from ebay chop shops. If you stick with the stock ESC & motor your driveshafts will hold up for a good amount of time until they wear. If you decide to put more power to the wheels. Something by Castle Creations either the MMP 2400kv, MMM 2650kv, or MMM 2200kv. All are good. If you go with one of these combos i'd highly recommend in the near future to go with Tekno, MIP's, and possibly the new Traxxas CVD's (i'm still testing these). Another good combo by Castle is their MMP 3800kv. Most run this with 2S LIPO, otherwise you might run into some heat problems. It is a very good motor though, I run it in many of my other RC's. King Headz just released the Motor Mount upgrade, its all aluminum and has an oversized bearing. In this same area in the near future i'd look at picking up the aluminum bearing adapter. The stock one is plastic and after long run times the bearing can heat up and melt this. The 2075 servo that comes on the car does an excellent job and its waterproof. Down the road one from Savox, Hitec, or etc can be changed out. The TQi radio system is very good to. You can get the dock for the Tx and purchase the available sensors and see RPM, Speed, and all kinds of good stuff on the iPod/ iPhone when connected. If you decide to run Lipo and go with a 3S 11.1v battery you will need the battery extension kit. Cheap but a little hard to get right now.

The only other thing is tires. The stockers do a decent job all around but on pavement they tend to wear rather quickly. When you need some help here let us know. Many wheel/ tire choices and what will fit.

Last but not least is you will want to pick up a good charger, something in the $100^ area. A couple of good ones are the Dynamite Passport Ultra, Racer's Edge Surecharge 2010, Electrify, & Duratrax Onyx Series. These charge all/ most battery chemistries out there. Spend more now and you won't need to upgrade later. I'd highly suggest you looking into Lipo batteries in the future. Read up on how to care for them, like storing, charging, and keeping them in storage charge. Learn these good habits at the begining and you won't have to retrain yourself from bad habbits. LOL

Here is a link to my build. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Some-Upgrades

Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction. Sorry for blabbing so much.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Thanks digger! That is a LOT of good info. My first priority are a couple of 3s lipos and a charger. The next priority is the body (and any necessary mods to make it work) and a few sets of wheels/tires.

After that.... I guess we'll see. I'm sure I'll be on here ssking numerous questions. I was looking at your build thread yesterday... impressive.

"Ieatdirt"..... thanks. I have been looking at numerous 1:10 subaru bodies.... but it must be a 2006-2007 model... otherwise it defeats the purpose. Tamiya has 2 versions.... the cusco and the monte carlo. Both come with huge wings though, and I'm actually looking at one that has a minimal wing like my actual car. My top choice (so far) is this one:

www.ebay.com/itm/150976257605

The wheels/tires are a concern because although my WORK cr-kai wheels are a popular design and easy to find.... I'm worried that even the 1:10 wheels are going to look too big. That will largely depend on the body I choose though.... and then I have to worry about appropriate width and backspacing. It may end up being a trial and error process.... should be fun though.

I'm slotted to go to Aviano for 2 weeks in Sept to teach POI (Principles of Instruction). Ive been there once in 2008, and to date, was my best tdy in 19 years in the AF. Looking forward to it!

EDIT: I was looking at the traxxas 3s lipo 5000 mah batteries...... will they fit in the stock location? Of not... what size battery will?
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 01-09-2013 at 07:39 AM.

The 3S Lipo 5000mah pack you are looking at:
    155mmD x 25mmH x 45mmW

It should fit without the battery extension. I would order one anyways just to be safe and if you decide to get a higher mah pack in the future.

For a better price and great quality Lipo look at SPC (Spec Point Concepts). Can't beat their packs for the $$.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Im glad you said that.... just moments ago I just bought a 5000mah 3s lipo and a charger. Both traxxas brand. I figure until I really feel comfortable "experimenting".... sticking with what the manufacturer prescribes would be wise.

If nothing else.... that will get me started in the right direction

Super stoked just got off the phone with Tower.... everything should be here Tuesday

You didnt go wrong making that purchase. Traxxas offers great customer service on their RC's and accessories. One of the best around!!! Their Lipo packs have a lifetime warranty on them.

Lifetime Battery Exchange Program
    Traxxas stands by Power Cell LiPo batteries with the best warranty and exchange program available. For the first year of ownership, Traxxas will replace any battery found to be defective at no cost. After one year, any Power Cell LiPo battery in any condition can be exchanged for a new equivalent battery for just 50% of the new pack's list price, no questions asked.
    Here is a little info on them: Traxxas Lipo
    BTW, Tower is a good company to order from. Prices may not always be the best, they do take care of you.

When you get her in take some pics and let us know what you think. Which i'm sure you are planning already.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 01-09-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added link
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Well... I'm not sure how exciting pictures of a bone stock green rally will be... but I'll probably snap a pic or two anyway.

I ordered the car from tower. The battery and charger I got as a package deal on ebay for $92. Seemed good for brand new... and it fit my needs.

By the way..... just gonna throw this out there.... I believe the green ones are the fastest..... its a little-known fact that Traxxas adds a little extra something to all the green ones

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    By the way..... just gonna throw this out there.... I believe the green ones are the fastest..... its a little-known fact that Traxxas adds a little extra something to all the green ones
    Hahaha! Ummmmm NO! Welcome to the forums and the addiction I would offer some advice but Diggers got you covered man. Check out other builds to give you ideas and what not.

This thing is a blast and you will have fun with it for sure!!
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Well... I'm not sure how exciting pictures of a bone stock green rally will be... but I'll probably snap a pic or two anyway.
    It always kewl. Guess one of those Hobbyists things. Kinda like a progression thing. Then you will get a few guys that will say, 'pics or it didn't happen'. LOL

I ordered the car from tower. The battery and charger I got as a package deal on ebay for $92. Seemed good for brand new... and it fit my needs.
    Wow. That's a good deal. Traxxas Lipo and Lipo charger or is it NiMH?

They have to put a little something extra to catch up to the ORANGE safety cones.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    One VERY important point to consider when looking for a body is that the rally, while listed as 1/10 is NOT the same size as a 1/10 touring car (these bodies will generally be listed as 190mm or 200mm). The Rally is actually the same size as a 1/8 GT car like the Ofna Ultra GTP2 and the Kyosho GT2. There are far fewer bodies for these cars out there. I believe Kyosho made a subaru body for the GT2 at some point that may work but like has been said, they are SUPER rare and REALLY expensive (over $100).
    For tires and wheels you can use pretty much any 1/10 Short course truck wheel/tire combo with a bit of fender trimming. Or, with the use of +6 17mm wheel hub adapters you can run 1/8 scale buggy wheels/tire OR 1/8 scale GT car wheels/tires. Here are 2 pics of my setups. The first is the stock rally body with 1/8 GT car wheels/tires from GRP. Ofna makes many different styles in this size wheel and I will have another set with some SWEEP racing tires mounted up in the very near future. They would be the same size but will be black.

This next picture is of a Proline Focus ST body for a 1/10 slash along with a set of ofna 1/8 scale GT car wheels (same size as the white ones above) and a set of Duratrax Derringer 1/8 buggy tires.

I really wish id put the Sweep tires i have on those grey ofna wheels. That would have looked sweet. But my other setup will look great as well.

ALWAYS check dimensions before you buy. Check the wheel base of the Rally against the wheel base of the body you want to buy. If its a few MM difference it will work. If its more than 10mm difference it could look funny.

Just spent a bit of time with Google. If you could find one, this body would likely work well.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=100245
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thanks.... I was just doing the same research. I must admit, traxxas' poor size representation is a disappointment. That body would be ok.... if I could paint it myself. I hate the blue though. Coupled with the fact it is the wrong year frustrates me.

Might just stick with the oem body instead. Where can I buy clear ones to paint myself? The rolling traxxas commercial is no good.

RC Champion
    I saw that Subaru Body a while back on Ebay, not cheap, but man that would look awesome IMO.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 01-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.

You can remove the big Traxxas sticker. But there are no clear rally bodies available yet. Can sometimes take a year before we see those. Hopefully less. I promise you this, you won't find exactly what your looking. Matching an RC to a full size is always a game of compromise. Sometimes you get lucky and they make an exact replica (1/16 camaro for example), sometimes you just have to get as close as you can.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Here are the Sweep Racing Tires Pave is talking about . They give the real scale look for sure.

After seeing someone's focus body all one solid color, man I bet those would look good with a body all blue or gold or something, nice and realistic look That looks pretty good to though IMO ^^.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 01-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.

RC Competitor
    Pavement surfer..... thanks. Perhaps in time they will come out with a subaru body.... but it isn't like I'm "unhappy" with the car... I'll just have to get creative with what I want. Kinda like this one. I wonder if the body mounts will work?;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCONCEPTS-Il...item51a6a3d095

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post

Wow. That's a good deal. Traxxas Lipo and Lipo charger or is it NiMH?
    Nope.... Lipo. The seller still has a few left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330855614421...84.m1497.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    I saw that Subaru Body a while back on Ebay, not cheap, but man that would look awesome IMO.
    It is there for $120.00. If it were CLEAR... I would buy it. Not crazy about the blue though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-INFER...item3a7d4f9098

Thanks for the link. Not a bad price at all to get your feet wet. Being the Rally is kinda sorta a new setup in part its going to take a few for some things to come out. Most any body that fits the Slash 4x4 or Slash 2WD will fit the Rally. The new Slash 4x4 uses the same LCG chassis. Hope this helps ya out a little bit. The worst you'd have to do is trim it a bit.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Are the rear body mounting points higher on the rally? Or are they adjustable if I get a body that isnt as tall?

RC Champion
    They are adjustable. And the rear is higher than the front as well. Check it out in this pic here.

Yep they are adjustable which is a good thing. The Slash 4x4/ Stampede 4x4 mounts can be used also if you needed other options.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The Scalpel body will FIT the chassis but is designed to work with Jconcepts Gloc tires on FRONT offset wheels for a stampede or rustler. If you tried to run it with your rally wheels/tires or any wheel/tire combo that works with the rally body the wheels wouldnt stick out far enough and it would look funny. But, it looks pretty awesome with the Gloc's and wider rims IMO.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Wow... this is tougher than I thought. I feel pretty confident about a few of the kyosho 1/8 bodies.... but I'm not 100% sure they will work w/o major mods..... and at the price, it makes it difficult to commit.

Is there a "list" of bodies that have been tested and fit well somewhere?

RC Enthusiast
    Congrats on the new toy !! The wife and kids got me one for Christmas, its a blast! Still using the old school batteries, but did get a couple of 8cell units. Only extras so far are a set of proline street fighters and a proline desert rat body. (i would post a pic but posting permissions doesn't allow me to yet?--not sure why) My son has a VXL 2wd Slash and its a riot chasing each other. Have fun and enjoy, and Thank You for your service !!!
    On tour - 2 wheels/2wd/4wd

RC Racer
    I am pretty sure you can't fly with lipo batteries. They are volitile and possibly explosive.

RC Competitor
    You can't check them in your luggage. You can however have then in your carry-on.... just like traditional batteries. My co-worker takes them with him on all his trips. They always inspect his carry-on because of all the "odd" electronics, but they have never denied him anything.

RC Champion
    my parent's flew over to see my family in Italy for xmas, I had them bring 12 Lipo's ranging from 2s-4s. They did take and swab all of them for explosive's, but no issue's what so ever.

I really hope that Traxxas pick's up one of these Subaru rally driver's, we would all be in heaven then. I still want an 02 bugeye body!

RC Competitor
    Well, with the lack of currently available bodies.... I think Im going to pick up one of those jconcepts illuzion scalpel bodies, and utilize 4 rear Jato wheels. That will look pretty amazing I think.

Are there any dangers or issues associated with using those wheels you think?

RC Champion
    They balloon, but if you stick with the stock system you will be fine. You could buy the wheel's and tire's separate and and tape them up your self. They will not balloon if you do this to them. Remember that this body on the rally require's a certain offset wheel to make it look right.

Have you seen this body?
    http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...ti&l=ita&id=71

I found a 99' Subaru Impreza GT body last week at a local hobbyshop, they wanted 48 euro for it though.

RC Competitor
    Wow! No... I hadn't seen that body. I cant read italian... and I cant seem to find it on the English site.

325mm wheelbase and 310 width (I think thats what it says). The wheelbase should work. What is the width of the rally? Is that body currently available? It comes with a sticker kit, so can I assume it is clear and paintable?

That looks better than any option Ive seen.

RC Competitor
    I found it in english.... if it'll fit.... I'm buying it. Might even buy 2 of them.

310mm width. My car is actually supposed to show up tomorrow... guess I should measure huh?

RC Champion
    The rally is 291mm wide, this body is a bit wider. Look's like you would need 9mm per side. Just find the proper offset wheel's and you will be good. I'll take a run to the hobby shop this weekend and see if they have it in stock. I could just mail it to your duty station, that would be free for you on shipping. I'm thinking I'll get the 99 impreza GT body. The only bad about this body is they make you buy the wing separately. That is a bummer. I would also opt for the 1.5mm thicker body, more money but it will be stronger. There are way's to strengthen the bodies if you get the normal thickness. Let me know what you are going to do. As I said before will be going to the hobbyshop to check what they have this weekend. later.

This might help you out a little bit.

<<< 1/10 Rally Specs >>>
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    297, not 291! My bad, that is not to much can make that up with using the hex's from the rustler front. Thank's Digger for correcting that.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys.... I really appreciate it. Its not an 06 impreza wrx...... but at least it is an impreza wrx and...... at least I can paint it the same color as mine.

I appreciate the offer... I wouldnt want to inconvenience anyone though..... especially being new here.

I just bought and paid for it..... body, decals, and wing there wasnt even an option to get a thicker body... Im not sure I would have been willing to pay more anyway. .... The Euro is kicking the dollar's butt.

Now...... to find some slightly offset wheels...... oh yea...... in bronze.... this should be interesting

*Watch the language and edit out words the language filter has removed.*
    Last edited by Double G; 01-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    Stock width = 297mm. Subaru body = 310mm. Difference = 13mm (6.5mm per side)

So..... 1/10 scale wheels with a 6mm offset are pretty easy to find.... no problem. I found several sets I liked.

The question..... is whether or not they will look too small on this Subaru Body... in which case, a 17mm hub upgrade is in order.... and then finding suitable 1/8 scale wheels. hmmm

RC Competitor
    I am in the process of making a mold similar to the Kyosho Impreza body. If things turn out how I have planned, I will be able to make these bodies on my vacuum form. Plus I will be able to make them a lot thicker than your typical lexan. It requires a bit of work but you could do something like that.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Champion
    half the battle of building them up is finding the part's you want.

RC Competitor
    Well, the car comes in tomorrow
    The lipo & charger early next week
    The subaru body? God only knows.

I figure Ill paint it, mount it..... and then finally visit the hobby shop..... which is 2 hours away in Dallas. Then I can pick up whatever wheels, tires, and possible knuckle conversion kits I need. No sense "guessing" this early.

Seriously.... thanks..... I would have never found that Subie body by myself.

Sweet man! The excitement of waiting starts.

So are you from Texas?? If so where might ya be?? I live 60 miles SW of Houston.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore