RC poster

1/10 Summit Differential Question

I recently purchased a new 1/10 summit, and the rear differential moves inside the bulkhead. I searched the web, called traxxas, and looked at all exploded views no concrete solution found. The front differential does not move I do not want to tear it down if this is normal for this truck. I have checked the truck over well everything works fine, but u can see it move when the motor engages/slows down. If anyone has dealt with this problem I would love some advice/solution to the problem. Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Rc Driver,

I just turned mine on and tested it out. I could not see the rear diff moving whithin the bulkhead.

Im not sure if I completely understand where you are seeing the movement. I turned it upside down and reved it up and watched it closly as I let go of the throttle. I watched closely at the differential where the driveshaft enters.

Im not sure of the solution but I hope this helps.

RC poster
    Yes the rear diff moves around in the housing, Why? No one really knows. Hasn't been confirmed if it has any effect on durability/performance but people have been using hot glue to limit movement.

RC poster
    From what I've heard and experienced with a few summits. It's pretty normal, if you grab the rear axles you can wiggle the diff around that way to

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Diff flex has been an occasional topic both here and on the revo threads. I have some flex in mine as well. It does not feel loose per say. I'm probably 80% trail crawler climber. It has also not caused me any concern. Some folks have used a hot melt glue gun to stabilize their diffs in the bulkheads. I'm sure a more high powered basher will chime in
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC poster
    Hi chardur,

The movement happens when you wiggle the rear drive shaft on either side. I watch the shift lever move around, and you can see the diff case moving which for 100% new truck with no runs makes me think something is broken. I have seen two youtube videos with the same issue but they do not post any solution to the problem. I heard two different things from traxxas its normal, and tear it down. I just figured someone may the solution here, and if not I will just tear it down which sucks for $600.00 truck.

RC Qualifier
    It's normal. I have side movement in all 4 of mine and when I got my first one (it was about a month old) and I ended up tearing it down cuz I thought I broke something to. But that is how they sit in there. If you don't like it you can always glass bed it and it will cure the problem.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Mine did that right out of the box... tore it down to find nothing wrong... posted a video on here to be told that it is normal.

I have seen no adverse consequences from this movement.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.