RC Competitor

Summit vs ERBE ride height - what am I missing?

I've been looking at the Summit and ERBE front assembly exploded views and comparing part numbers for what's the same and what's different.

As far as I can see, both have the same part numbers for suspension pushrods, a-arms, shocks, rockers.

Why is it that the ERBE sits with the A-arms parallel to the ground, whereas, the Summit sits obviously higher?

There's a reason for the difference but I must just be having a man look.

Any "pointing out the obvious" appreciated.

Regards,
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

RC Champion
    the summit has long travel rockers and springs, longer a arms, and longer push rods.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    Two words, bigger tires. And when I say bigger, I mean taller.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    the summit has long travel rockers and springs, longer a arms, and longer push rods.
    From what I can see, the parts numbers for those items are the same for both models.

I've just taken all the preload off my springs and that levels it out. Is that all there is to it?

Is it really as simple as that?
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

RC Champion
    See above post. LOL Like revoman said, the springs in Summits are actually longer. I run double orange on all four corners on my Erevo. You also put the push rods in the inner hole, closest to the chassis.
    Last edited by summitbasher420; 01-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Champion
    all the items on the a arms are longer and it has longer and stiffer springs so it will be taller
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Competitor
    Since the springs have got a mention a few times, my man look thing seems to have come true.

On closer inspection of the exploded views, the A-arms and all the hardware is the same for both cars, with the exception of the springs, which are listed as part no's 5437, 5439 for the ERBE and 5649, 5648 for the Summit, front and rear respectively.

As for the tyres, I was more referring to the A-arm geometry. Obviously, a larger tyre is going to give an increased ride height.

Also, the front steering ball joints have a standard offset option for the ERBE since the travel range is less on the ERBE. Different, diffs, bulkheads, drive shafts and single speed transmission really appear to be the only other slight differences.

Where I'm going with this is I hear people criticise the Summit's ability to be "powered" up. Other than the obviously higher CG, it is arguably tougher than the ERBE. People say they use the Summit drive shafts on their ERBE's because they have proven to be stronger, if you don't lock the diff's on the Summit then you'll be OK and in fact the Summit diff has a larger support bearing on the diff cup in addition to the standard ERBE diff. The gearboxes are the same insofar as the ratio and durability of the high gear. I've been looking at if it's possible to gear up the Summit's low gear to the same ratio as the high gear thus giving double the gears driving (need to lock the selector shaft so both gear trains run together). Looks a bit challenging at this stage as there doesn't seem to be the right choice of available gears to do this.

I want a slightly faster, brushless Summit but I'm also looking at a rolling ERBE chassis so I can get a proven speed machine with lots of parts commonality with my Summit.

Thanks for the replies
    Jayson
    Summit BL HW SC8 2000kV
    E-Revo MM2 2200kV

The additional ride heught comes primrily from
    1) longer summit springs
    2) larger tires
    3) "LT" long travel lockers

Yes the part numbers are the same but the summit has the LT rockers installed whereas the erevo has them ( the LT rockers ) in the box as an optional part with the P3 (shorter rockers) installed
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    +1 on what Noir 522 said. I just built a Sumvo from the ground up. In fact it is 100% a Summit except I used erbe bulkheads, erbe diff's and erbe drive shafts. I was building this one for my 8 year old son and he is not ready for locking diffs.......well at least I'm not ready to rebuild the diffs after every run. LOL!!!

The Summit springs are a fraction longer but they are a lot stiffer which helps with suspension sag more so than the erbe springs. So there is some of what your seeing.

The Summit and erbe do use the same pushrods, it just depends if you install the spacer on the pushrod depending on the rocker setup you choose. LT Rockers do NOT require the spacer……P2 Rockers do.

The LT Rockers give you considerably more ride height (ground clearance). But IMO and from experience a lower COG is very important on the erbe. Or a brushless Summit. The best setup I found for the erbe for the conditions I drive is:

P2 Rocker’s
    Traxxas Variable Damping Kit (VDP #2 - valve on top)
    Green Springs (front)
    Tan Springs (rear)
    70 Weight shock oil (front & rear)
    Traxxas Aluminum Pushrod’s
    Tekno Sway Bar Kit (silver bar) – Front Only
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3