RC Racer

Emaxx - Parts that are breaking - Tips for helping handling

Hey Gang,

I have a few questions that I want to ask:

1) We keep breaking the rear shock tower (we are on our 3rd within a week). I read alot of you saying go to RPM, but for $6 more, I can get Integy metal shock towers - is that a good idea?

2) We keep breaking the front Axle Carriers (part #5334) - can anyone suggest an upgrade/replacement part?

3) The Emaxx (brushless) keeps flipping over when turning (even at slower speeds) - can someone please tell me how to correct this? Ive read that adding 50Wt oil will help - but do I adjust the position of the shocks? Make other adjustments? Im looking to maintain a good jumping height - but we need to flip over the Emaxx on 8 out of 10 times when just driving around.

Thanks,

Mayor VXL
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like you are turning too fast
    Stiffer springs will help with 80wt oil
    Definitely go rpm on the shock tower I have rpm carriers too much better than stock
    If you are going to use rpm arms get the true track for the rear comes with oversized bearings and carriers

Stick either with stock or the RPM towers over Integy.

Run away from anything that has Integy on except for their shock springs, absolutely nothing they make out of their buttery soft aluminum.

What part of the carrier is breaking & how/when is failing?

Tekno makes some good carriers.
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1014-...ers-revo-maxx/
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr10141...17mm-adapters/

Or if you are wanting to go with aluminum carriers, RD Racing makes some top of the line carriers.
    http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...iers-p-13.html
    http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...riers-p-8.html

Lower the truck some, most important Throttle Control!
    Your gonna have to slow it down some when turning sharply, till you learn to kick the back end out & drift it .
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    As far as flipping over, I put some stock revo tires and wheels on mine. The geode wheels are offset and widen stance. Much more stable than stock tires. I also agree with wildman,stay away from the integy stuff,only good for show trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Yip, those are some of the standard issues with the stock vehicle. Would recommend going FLM Shock Towers as they give you good flexibility in being able to change your shock mounting positions to cater for either street running or bashing.

I would recommend either RPM Axle Carriers as Togo says or I am using the ERevo ones (5334R) which are identical to the stock EMaxx ones (5334), but which have a metal retaining ring which locks the pivot ball in and prevents it from popping out (which although you don't specify is the common failure on the stock Emaxx Axle Carriers).

50wt and higher shock oil would help a bit, but the EMaxx is not the most nimble or agile around so you have to be vigilant in taking turns. I would consider adjusting your Steering Expo on the Transmitter and maybe adding a bit of Drag Brake % as I have found this to help out quite a bit for high speed cornering. Also consider off-set wheels such as the Desperados and the like which give you a bit of a wider wheel base which will also assist in curbing rolls.

Good Luck.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Racer
    First rule is stay away from Integy. There parts are cast, not machined.

For shock towers in general stay away from metal if your bolting them to plastic bulkheads. The plastic bulks will break before metal towers bend usually, unless you have Integy towers. If metal towers are a must for you though, go with the Unlimited Engineering Racer X KnuckleHead kit for $34.99 for both towers. However I recomend RPM towers if your going to be running the truck. That is what I put on my runners and have never had an issue.

The axle carrier is another part I wouldn't really suggest upgrading to aluminum. The RPM ones are a good upgrade, but IMO the Tekno carriers are the best. Thats what I use on my runner and haven't had an issue yet.

As far as the turning over part it could be a number of things. One is probably the stiffness of the shocks and the placement of them. If your going to be doing big jumps you want the most travel and the stiffer shocks, but that leads to turning over easier. Play around with it until you find a happy medium.

RC Qualifier
    you can lower your truck by changing where your shocks mount on the a arms to lower the center of gravity too. and you can buy some wider tires to help give it a wider stance helping it stick to the ground. what kind of stuff are you running your truck on?
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Those RD racing axle carriers look real good. I have all RPM on my Emaxx and Tmaxx with the tru trak in the rear for both and they have been great, RPM also uses larger bearings.

I've also never ever broke a shock tower but I have broke the bulk head's i've added Integy Evo-5's and never broke one since.

With the flipping issue I used 1/2 wider pro line badlands and the truck is much more stable, the mashers are also really stable and they are slighlty larger. the stock wheel/tire flips a lot and won't last very long at all.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Hey Gang,

I have a few questions that I want to ask:

1) We keep breaking the rear shock tower (we are on our 3rd within a week). I read alot of you saying go to RPM, but for $6 more, I can get Integy metal shock towers - is that a good idea?
    Don't bother with Integy. Get something like UE or FLM. I would avoid the RPM shock towers. You want some parts to flex, but a shock tower isn't one of them. The RPM shock tower is highly unlikely to break, RPM parts are thick with enough flex to ensure that; but flex of the shock tower could bend the shock shafts on the shocks themselves. So I would go aluminium, but avoid the cheap and nasty ones. I used FLM, lots of options to adjust shock position so that will help out with handling, jumping etc.

2) We keep breaking the front Axle Carriers (part #5334) - can anyone suggest an upgrade/replacement part?
    Tekno. Bigger, beefier and they use a metal ring around the pillow ball socket to keep them from blowing out. More expensive but I doubt you will need to change them again.

3) The Emaxx (brushless) keeps flipping over when turning (even at slower speeds) - can someone please tell me how to correct this? Ive read that adding 50Wt oil will help - but do I adjust the position of the shocks? Make other adjustments? Im looking to maintain a good jumping height - but we need to flip over the Emaxx on 8 out of 10 times when just driving around.
    Firstly, it's a monster truck. It's always going to handle like one. Using a set of wheels with a greater offset will definitely make it more stable. Laying the shock absorbers less vertical / more horizontal on the rear (inner most hole on upper shock mount, outter most hole on a-arms) will make the truck more stable and it'll be more inclined to want to oversteer than just roll over but you'll lose some travel and ride height making it less suited to jumping.

On high traction surfaces monster trucks tend to roll over, it's what they do, much like the real thing.

Currently with my big joes and axial 8 spoke rims I get about 1.5" offset, plus another 6mm on both sides from the drive axle conversion so it's about as wide as it is long with stiffer suspension. Now it's more inclined to over steer once it gets thrown into a corner with high traction, or sometimes kick the rear inside wheel up but not so much roll over. It still very much drives like a big jelly bean compared to a race prepped vehicle. It's slow to react, cumbersome and doesn't transition weight very well; that's why it's a monster truck.

You could spend money on trying to get it to stop rolling over but the best method; learn to accept what the vehicle is and drive within it's limit.