RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

King Headz Motor Mount Install

Got this in the mail today. Im bored so I thought id do an install series. Its not like this is rocket science but it may or may not be interesting for some.

Heres what you get from King Headz and a few angles of the mount:

Heres a pic of the RPM sensor mounting area and cover:

Next up, the install.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Step one, Remove your gear cover and motor with pinion:

Then remove the 4 screws, 2 top and 2 bottom, to separate the rear clip from the chassis and remove the slipper or diff:

Now removed the 4 screws (all from the top) holding the factory plastic motor mount in and pull the motor mount up to remove:

Drop the King Headz mount with the bearing installed (it comes this way) into the old mount location. Mine dropped right in with no effort. Then re-use the 4 stock mount screws to hold it down:

Now, remove the stock size bearing from your slipper or diff setup:

Re-insert your slipper or diff, sliding the assembly into the new, oversized King Headz Bearing:

Re-install your rear clip. The hardest part is lining the back side of the slipper/diff shaft with the notch in the rear diff input gear. It can take some time and lining up but you shouldnt force it. Once its lined up the assembly will drop together:

Finally, re-install your motor using the original motor plate mount screw, re-set your mesh and re-install your gear cover using the original screw:

Thats it, total time to complete was about 10 minutes. One of the easiest and smoothest installs ive done on this car. Looks good and the rear of the car is noticeably more rigid. Once the mount is installed, it really doesnt look any different. But it feels different and the car WILL be stronger. It also helps dissipate heat from the motor. The whole mount acts like a big heatsink. Finally, the oversized bearing lasts WAY longer than the smaller stock bearing. An expensive upgrade, but a worth while one IMO.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks for the write up. Looks pretty simple. I got mine yesterday. Looking forward to installing it. I also got the aluminum spacer. I like how they include an extra bearing too.
    Rally, Slash 4X4, Summit 1/16

Nice write-up. I have one for my Sl4sh but I'll be ordering one for the Rally. Is that the 2400 sct motor?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    It's a very good upgrade O.G., & gives you the same improvements like the Sl4sh/P4de. I wouldnt think twice about adding it. He's running the 3800kv. That little motor is deceiving. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Little motor... Pfft... POWERHOUSE is more like it. hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Little motor... Pfft... POWERHOUSE is more like it. hehe.
    Meant it in a good way. That's one of my fav motors of all time.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Has anyone ever compared the castle 3800kv motor with the DuraTrax Element 3900Kv, or Vektor 4000kv? I have the Vektor but don't have the 3800 to compare it to.

Anyway, good write-up with clear instructions. You make it look easy.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I have run the 3900 element. Its made my castle and works really really well. I wouldnt say its AS strong as the 3800 but in a lighter 2X4 vehicle it was every bit as impressive. It doesnt have quite the build quality of the 3800, but IMO is a great motor and you can pick up the combo for like $80 sometimes when its on sale.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I feel the same way comparing the CC 3800kv to the Vektor 4000kv. Other than the obvious kv & RPM difference, they are really tough little motors. There is a thread about the differences in the rebranded castles floating around here, it'll give you some light on the superiority of the 2 or should i say 3. I really can't complain that I can buy a Vektor for 2/3 the price of a 3800kv.

I had the 3800kv in my Slash and swapped it for the 4000kv. It's been in there since summer (whenever we noticed them OG). I've dogged the mess out of it and it's done a great job. I little bit more top end. Right now I have a spare of each, you just never know when you can use another motor. LOL I know you know all these specs below but at least having it posted will show some insite.

RPM-3800kv
    7.4v x 3800 = 28,120
    11.1v x 3800 = 42,180

RPM-3900kv (Element)
    7.4v x 3900 = 28,860
    11.1v x 3900 = 43,290

RPM-4000kv (Vektor)
    7.4v x 4000 = 29,600
    11.1v x 4000 = 44,400
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    does this replace the bearing adapter kit?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy-farrar View Post
    does this replace the bearing adapter kit?
    No. If you have the Traxxas one you can use it or the King Headz or even FLM has one.

The KH mount beefs up the where the motor plate mounts to, the rear of the chassis, adds an over sized bearing, and extra cooling for the motor. All these are pluses. Not sure if you know this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Gotta remember to order this when I get my LCG chassis for my slash 4x4!

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered my King Headz mount sat......waiting...haha
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC poster
    Just installed mine today. Is there a trick to lining the back side of the slipper/diff shaft with the notch in the rear diff input gear? I cant get it to line up.

RC poster
    nevermind lol I got it. Now to install my Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro SCT 2400kV System

RC poster
    Thanks for the write-up and photos! I just installed the KHZ motor mount and aluminum slipper bearing adaptor - pretty nice stuff. However, I just noticed the slipper assembly has slight (less than 1/16") front to rear movement; was this there before I changed to the aluminum bearing adaptor, and is it "normal?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsy1 View Post
    However, I just noticed the slipper assembly has slight (less than 1/16") front to rear movement; was this there before I changed to the aluminum bearing adaptor, and is it "normal?"
    Yes that's normal. You hear the center driveshaft clank when you flip it north and south. Some people will use o-rings as spacers on both ends to keep it from clanking like that. Nothing to worry about, believe its there for flex.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore