Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Summit to MERV .......or?

If I change over to merv (RPM) control arms and CVDs (F&R) can I stick with Summit LT arms and expect CVDs to work properly? Or... even better has anyone heard of Traxxas releasing proper CVDs for the Summit?

thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Haven't heard of any release for Summit specific CVD's... Traxxas or otherwise.

I don't have any first hand experience to tell you it will work for sure, but I think it will from what I have read.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks - I'd really like to preserve the ride height (and wheelbase, but oh well) on this truck as its a more slo-motion, go anywhere vehicle than a Slash or MERV but I want it to be strong and have sessions end when I'm tired instead of when something breaks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ive read the MERV CVD's can have a tendancy to pop out of their drive cups when using the extended wheel base arms. But, IMO you dont really need the CVD's as the summit drive shafts are a bit stronger than the MERV shafts. Go that route and you can continue to use your rear arms.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure the MERV shafts are stronger than the Summit shafts. I know it is the total opposite when it comes to the 10th scale axles, but the small pin in the stock Summit shafts are weaker than the pin on the MERV shafts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Didnt know that. I always used the summit shafts on both. But you could absolutely be right.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I put stock merv shafts on my mini summit and haven't had any problems on 2s. 3s if your not carefull, the pins might pop out at the u joint thingy by the differential. But they just snap right back in place.
    addicted much....

I thought maybe there was a new development.. lol

Funny part is the switch was made due to cost being cheaper for stock MERV shafts... then breakage stopped.

RC Qualifier
    I wish there were cvds for the summit but the only time I've popped those pins is when I'm on 3s being a throttle jockey. Lol I run pack after pack with no problems. Just be careful on jumps and when smashing into stuff. Let off the throttle and you'll be fine.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    if my 3 1/2 year old could break the summit driveshaft, it ain't that strong the merv shaft is holding up so far.

Have you tried Rusty ujoints, finisher? Bit longer pins on the cross.
    At least I think it is rusty joints...

RC Qualifier
    i have not. matter of fact, that's the first i've heard of them. what do you just transplant them? speaking of driveshafts, and how bullet proof the cvd's are. check this out!

after i posted my last comment on this thread, i hit the local disc golf course for some bashing. there's kinda a table top hill out there 2 feet tall and 6 feet long roughly. got some awesome air and backflips in. i asked my wife to get some jumps on camera and when i tried to take off this is what i found!!! that was the end of that session. i keep forgetting tools when i go. took it home, fixed it, then in the driveway i was doing backflips to show the neighbor and it popped out again!! i think i bent the drivecup open further than it's supposed to be.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    are you running LT or MERV rockers?

RC Qualifier
    Merv rockers. I was being really hard on it though.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Im for sure not an expert but I'd guess its because there is no slip joint in the CVD and also the inherent flex in the RPM arms
    (That's what keeps em from snapping) Just my guess -

RC Qualifier
    How's the pillow ball? Make sure it's in just enough so that when you hold the mini up it's not coming out of the drive cup.

RC Qualifier
    The pillow balls are fine. The dogbone sits about half in the drive cup with no weight on the suspension. When you hit a jump all cockeyed at 35-40 mph things bend farther than they're supposed to. Like what photontrap was saying I think the a arms bent a little to far on one of those landings or something. The drivecup looks more separated than the other ones. Does anyone know if you can get just the cups?
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    You can buy the cups separately. They do wear over time
    TRA 7052
    Last edited by Daddykins; 01-08-2013 at 07:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome. That's much better than havin to fork out another forty bucks. Thanks dadykins
    addicted much....

Here is one post on the Rust joints:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5341879

RC Qualifier
    Thanks jimmie! I'm all over that one! With that upgrade, i'm thinking drive shaft issues with the summit will be a thing of the past. I like that you don't have to sacrifice ride height or suspension travel to do it.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Sweet. Parts ordered. They're the nitro rustler half shafts. 5.99$ shipped from amazon. From the pictures it looks like they come disassembled. Even easier.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    I'm confused. How do you not sacrifice ride height using merv rockers? Do you just jack up the springs to regain the geometry?

RC Qualifier
    I could see how this is confusing. My fault. The pics of the cvd coming out of the drive cup is my merv. The rustler axle fix is what I'm going to do to my mini summit, which has stock merv shafts on it. Both the merv and the summit are using stock rockers and aarms. I just put the merv pics up because it happened right after I posted on this thread.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Wait. Photon were you referring to the thread that jimmie linked? The part where he's talking about the parts he wants to put on his minni summit? If so, you don't need all that to do the rustler fix. You can take stock merv shafts and bolt em right up.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Is using LT Summit rockers the only way to maintain summit-like ground clearance and travel?
    or' let me ask another way - Will running LT rockers and stock Summit rear arms prevent me from using merv steel CVDs?
    (I have RPM arms and LT arms in front) I'm thinking the travel may be too great to keep em properly engaged (?)

Also, what is the advantage or the rustler joint swap?
    Isn't the plastic yoke the normal point of failure?
    Last edited by photon_trap; 01-09-2013 at 06:16 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    Is using LT Summit rockers the only way to maintain summit-like ground clearance and travel?
    or' let me ask another way - Will running LT rockers and stock Summit rear arms prevent me from using merv steel CVDs?
    (I have RPM arms and LT arms in front) I'm thinking the travel may be too great to keep em properly engaged (?)

Also, what is the advantage or the rustler joint swap?
    Isn't the plastic yoke the normal point of failure?
    I believe so. People say the traxxas cvd's are just a hair short. That you have too have the pillow balls screwed almost all the way in to prevent separation. And the rustler swap. With the stock merv driveshafts the main point of failure is the u joints. They pop out of the plastic pieces that hold them in place. The rustler u joints from what I can tell have longer pins therfore making it harder for them to pop out of the plastic. Imo, the stock merv shafts work great on the mini summit. I don't want to sacrafice suspension travel or wheelbase length or rideheight.
    Last edited by the finisher; 01-09-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Thanks finisher - as I remember there's not much clearance under an RPM arm for the u joint - can't imagine how you could leave the pins much longer than stock without sawing your arms in half. Anyway, I'll take your advice (and everyone elses) and go with merv shafts even if they are shorter (still seems strange) HELLO TRAXXAS get us some decent shafts for our summits !!! please !

RC Qualifier
    I'll have to check when my parts get here, but I seem to remember someone talking about using a dremil and shaving off some of the ujoint pins so they clear.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    probably not themost highly stressed area of the arm but kinda seems counterproductive

Looky what I found!
    http://www.thetoyz.com/Traxxas/MINI-...ain/GPM/15026/

But I have NO idea if they are any good...

RC Qualifier
    WHAT!!! oh out of stock...... dang. I already spent too much money on my rc's today anyways. lol it's nice to know these are available though.
    addicted much....

Could look at it this way... MERV shafts + Rusty joints is proven... the GPM shafts are not.

RC Qualifier
    good point. they look promising though. we'll just have to wait and see what kind of reviews they get.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to compare em side by side with their (GPMs) merv versions......
    maybe if they were a bit longer (than the merv ones) they would work better -
    Has anyone run the GPMs on a merv? Curious as to the integrety of their design and materials.
    The price is pretty low... makes you wonder if they have left something important out - like quality - ha

RC Qualifier
    Ha i just noticed it says it's anodized steel - ha!
    that's not even possible.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm.. wonder if this had anything to do with my cvd popping out???

This is the pin that holds the axle in the hub. Three pieces!
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    most pins are hardened - maybe it was over hardened making it brittle (?)
    hopefully it's limited to one batch of pins (and there are not 2.3 million in the batch - doh!)

RC Qualifier
    Hopefully. I just made a new pin out of a large body clip. Probably not as strong, but hopefully it holds for awhile.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    So after I made a new pin, the dang drive shaft came out again! So I looked at it closer, and it's very slightly bent. That's the only thing left it could be. The pillow balls are screwed in the same on both sides. I set my camber and toe in with the rpm gauges. I start with the pillow balls all the way screwed in and back them out untill every thing is just right.
    addicted much....