RC Qualifier

Polaris Sportsman or Ranger

If you could get a Polaris Sportsman or Polaris Ranger for work and play purposes, which one would you get?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Racer
    They are both good, depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to carry a passenger or haul lots of gear all the time go with the Ranger, if not the Sportsman is more fun in my opinion.

I have a 2011 850 XP Sportsman, here's a short video of my 850

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4edZSA_PA

My neighbor has a 2010 800 XP Ranger and its pretty fun too, all depends on what you plan to use it for.

RC Qualifier
    I want to save my money and get something in a couple years that I can use for work and play. Would probably use it for hunting and trail riding, and well as putting it in Search and Rescue. Just don't know what would be better.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I have a Sportsman and love it. But, for what you want to do with it, a Ranger may be your best option. If you want to do search and rescue, get a Razor. You will get there alot faster lol.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    I have always wanted one of those. They look like they would be so much fun to take into the desert.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    They are completely different vehicles. An ATV is far less capable when it comes to hauling people and/or gear, but more agile. A ranger is SUPREMELY capable and DOES make a great trail riding SXS but isnt as agile.

Have you looked at a polaris X2? Its basically an extended sportsman 550 with a cargo box on the back. Its kindof the best mix of the 2 your looking at.

You could also look at the smaller 2 seat ranger in 400, 500 or in 2013 it comes with an 800cc option. These are very similar in wheelbase and track width to an ATV but are the same layout as a ranger. They fit in the back of a standard size pickup truck too (full size ranger does not).

Again, there is no right answer. They are 2 comletely different vehicles. You need to decide which one will be the best for what you do MOST often.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Well, I am trying to get one donated me so I can use it for helping out my community. I just wonder if a Ranger would fit on any atv trail or if it is too wide.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Didn't they make them 50" wide to fit on ATC trails?

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    The width of a Polaris Ranger 900 XP is 60 in. on the website.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    We have a sportsman 700 twin 4x4. It hauls cargo real well, I can pull an empty car trailer, about 15-16 foot long. I can stack hay bales 3 high on front and rear racks and it still moves. Hay weighs 50 pounds or a little more per bale.
    It's also fast. I've had it up to 45 and it would've gone faster but didnt want to blow tires out. Speedo says 70, I'm sure it would get close to it.
    Takes a lot to get stuck in snow. Plows real well too.

I have no experience with the ranger.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Champion
    what sizes are you looking at because a 400cc is a world of a difference from a 800cc
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    I am trying to get donated to me for helping the community a 875cc Full Size Polaris Ranger XP 900 or a Polaris Sportsman 850 H.O.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The smaller 2 seat rangers are 50 inches wide... the larger Ranger XP's are 60 inches. The Ranger XP is unbelievable. But highly expensive and not really necessary for what I think the OP is talking about using it for.

Ranger 500

Sportsman X2

Ranger XP Diesel... ULTIMATE Utility

Ranger XP 800
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 01-08-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I think the Sportsman would be more agile for trails and stuff for Search and rescue, at you don't need to carry to much gear I don't thing. Ranger would be nice to have though.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit