RC poster

What is a good lipo baterry to run with the castle Creations Sidewinder SCT 3800KV

First off i would like to tell everyone im not new to rc but i am to this generation. about 15 yrs ago i used to race TA stadium trucks and then been out of it for a while now all this new motors and lipos and all that is a whole new learning curve for me.

as for most they buy the truck rtr. myself i build all mine from scratch. there is no better way to learn what you have but doing it yourself. at least thats my theory. now let me shut it and get to the point.

i know i am going to be running a 2s lipo but i am not sure what to get over all i plan on racing and getting it set up for short course. but have not the foggiest idea on what size lipo to get for timely runs cooler elctronic temps and good power. i have been doing a lot of reading and research on many fourms but still never found what i was looking for, answer wise.

also looking for an idea on a good gearing to start off with on this set up. thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    A 2S with 30c (minimum) at 5000mah should get you 35 to 45 minutes of run time. Check out SPC and see what they have in stock. Pretty good batteries for the buck. The higher the c rating, the higher the amp draw the battery can handle.

http://spcracing.com/
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Racer
    +1 ^^^^ I agree with all of this!
    Tomorrow can wait till tomorrow.

Take your time do your research,it will save you a lot of cash,and listen to people like Dr. Isotope,the car guy,and a few others,they know their stuff,and will give it to you straight,Just like SPC is the rage in lipos right now,and for good reason,their cheap and a descent quality battery.
    But you might imo,buy two or three of them while a higher priced, but also better quality battery will still be running strong,that i have seen first hand.
    Decide what your truck will be doing most,racing,(real racing) bashing,or just having fun with the boys,and build your truck from there.
    SPC lipos as far as i can see ,are the best for the money right now,i fried one 40c in my 3800 4 pole,but that could have been a bad battery,it happens.
    Oh ye,take lots of pic's of that pretty nice painted body,it wont look like that for long.
    Have fun with the hobby,and listen to those who know what their saying, and not to those that don't,it wont be hard to tell the difference after a while.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    i appriciate the response billy bones. im looking to be doing real racing on a indoor clay-dirt track thats local to me. only time i run it around the streets is when im adding parts or adjustments.
    Last edited by TeamGetSome; 01-08-2013 at 08:50 PM.

RC poster
    thanks maxx it gives me some where to start ive been reserching alot but every post that i could find ended up turning into something else. lol

RC poster
    does anyone have any ideas on a good but fairly inexpensive lipo ac charger. that dont require a serperate power supply

RC Competitor
    I have a thunder ac6 from hobby partz

charges just about any type of battery available. can be charged off your car battery or off 120 v house. only paid about 45 bucks for it and have had NO problems with it in over two years. has lots of options and features. directions are abit vague but thats what youtube is for! lol
    Traxxas Slash all others are just Toys lol

Quote Originally Posted by Electrocutioneer View Post
    I have a thunder ac6 from hobby partz

charges just about any type of battery available. can be charged off your car battery or off 120 v house. only paid about 45 bucks for it and have had NO problems with it in over two years. has lots of options and features. directions are abit vague but thats what youtube is for! lol
    AC6 = $50 battery cooker.
    Try a ThunderPowerRC TP610C-ACDC

Edit: Forgot the $50.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    lol battery cooker. i usually only charge to 90percent anyways. supposed to prolong the life of the battery. and has always worked wonders in the past.

RC Racer
    I run SPC lipos. The 2s 5000 30c is all you will need for your setup. I think you'll find a lot of people on here love SPC batteries.

For the charger i have a duratrax onyx 235. Its under $100 and its a great charger. It does 6 amps off the wall for a 2s pack and has the built in balancer. Otherwise dynamite makes good chargers, their passport ultrasport is nice. The traxxas charger is good as well, its very similar to the dynamite chargers. Its all just a matter of what you can get easier. All are good, and about the same price.

Doesn't matter when the calibration is garbage and it stops balancing. These chargers are the electronic equivalent of Russian roulette.

What does it help charging to 90% when the charger is likely to catch fire?

A charger is the heart of your power system. Make a wise investment.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

For my racing Slash I use the SPC 2s 50c lipos for more punch.

And I like a man who sleeps with his truck, sort of like a soldier with his rifle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

For battery charger onyx 245
    For battery try something with at least 40c and 5000mah (200a)
    I like venom
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by TeamGetSome View Post
    lol battery cooker. i usually only charge to 90percent anyways. supposed to prolong the life of the battery. and has always worked wonders in the past.
    For lipos charge them to 100%

I have the onyx and have had 0 problems,but it cost $89 at my lhs,imo their great,but i would listen to others with more experience than i but i haven't heard anything bad about the onyx yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Jeep Guy View Post
    I run SPC lipos. The 2s 5000 30c is all you will need for your setup. I think you'll find a lot of people on here love SPC batteries.

For the charger i have a duratrax onyx 235. Its under $100 and its a great charger. It does 6 amps off the wall for a 2s pack and has the built in balancer. Otherwise dynamite makes good chargers, their passport ultrasport is nice. The traxxas charger is good as well, its very similar to the dynamite chargers. Its all just a matter of what you can get easier. All are good, and about the same price.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    AC6 = $50 battery cooker.
    Try a ThunderPowerRC TP610C-ACDC

Edit: Forgot the $50.
    I am guessing your comment is a slam against the AC6 Charger? lol

Not sure why. I have no issues with mine and have not "cooked" a battery on it. Been using it for 2plus years.

But like most things in RC...what works for some...does not work for others
    Traxxas Slash all others are just Toys lol

RC Racer
    I have had the Onyx and the AC6.... my onyx shorted out into a puff of smoke, the AC6 is still working well. With electronics you just never know. I think when I my onyx broke the plug was not fully plugged into the unit.....oh well.
    Tomorrow can wait till tomorrow.

RC poster
    5000 MaH 50C, anything less will not unlock the intense power of the sidewinder system.

Maybe the $110 i just shelled out for a Reedy 6500 mah 2s 65c wasn't a wast,I bought it just for my 3800 4 pole side winder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuck_Chorris View Post
    5000 MaH 50C, anything less will not unlock the intense power of the sidewinder system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuck_Chorris View Post
    No
    40c and 5000mah is where to start.
    200a continuous

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    No
    40c and 5000mah is where to start.
    200a continuous
    technically a 20c 5000 is all that is required. if you do some research you will find that the 3800 1410y motor pulls no more than 100 amps continuous. now you never want to run the minimum C rating for your motor, so a 5000 25c is the minimum. I have run those packs with no problems and have never puffed a pack. Once you go up to a 5000 30c you will see a improvement in performance. 40c is a good pack but you're starting to waste your money. A 5000 50c pack is just a waste of money and you wont see any performance gains out of it over a 40c.

Well I bought the battery for the name Reedy,someone else,don't want to say names, said he bought a Reedy in 2009 used,and still uses it today regularly.
    As far as the c rating everyone i talked to said it didn't matter it was a 65c because the motor would only take what it needed,most of my thunder powers,are 35c,and do great also.
    I could have done with out the 6500mah fuel tank,but with a lipo It really doesn't matter.
    i did a lot of research on this lipo before i bought it,and its the only one rated higher in quality and endurance than thunder power.Pricey? very,but i ordered a thunder power,and went to get it,and another racer seen it and offed them an extra $10 bucks for it,at first i was kind of mad,but they said they found the 45c i wanted instead of another 35c,and ordered it ,and they would give it to me for ten less then the 35c
    And since I see a 4x4 slash in my in life very soon,that bigger mah # will be nice.
    I know all about SPC,and their price,and I'm not saying um rich,lol,far from it,nor I'm I saying there's anything wrong with SPC,I'm just someone you will pay for the best,now when my 45c thunder power gets here,i will have 23 lipos,with three 2wd slash's now,and a 4x4 soon,i think i have more than enough battery's for a while.
    An when i run my castle systems,the difference between a 40c thunder-p,and a 65-c thunder-p, there is very a noticeable difference in performance,most of my 35c,s run my velineon systems.And there all 5400mah,(except my one 30c venom at 5000mah)that seems about perfect for my racing needs.
    The Reedy that was in stock,and was 6500mah ,but a little bigger fuel tank,cant hurt anything..I guess i will live and learn?For the best,I hope!
    Darn it,every time i roll over one of my truck body pins get stuck in my ear,lol, that's for you O.G.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For billy-bones: The main reason a 6500mAh/65C Reedy pack cost significantly more than the same spec (but lower priced) pack you listed, is because Reedy products are supplied through a distributor and retail chain. Each party must add their share to the price in order to stay in business, therefore the end product ends up being 2 to 3 times more expensive. But make no mistake, the cells in the Reedy 6500mAh/65C pack come from the same factory and are EXACTLY the same 65C cells purchased by the lesser priced supplier you keep mentioning. I know this for certain as it is my job.

I personally believe in supporting our local hobby shops and I applaud you for doing so.
    Last edited by Jakey; 01-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.

I agree with you 100% and I made every attempt to say I see nothing wrong with SPC,and for the price they are probably the best bang for the buck.
    And thou it is not my job,back in 84,i worked for a place called chief Pierre,now now known as Sara lee.
    I ran a machine that made 900 pies every 22 minutes,half the day they went in to nice pretty chief p box's,after lunch,they started putting those exact same pies, in plain card board boxes.
    And as you already know,at the grocer store, the fancy box,was $5.99,while the exact same product,unknown to the buyer,was $2.99 in the plain box.
    As far as supporting the lhs,I think it's very important,but I probable miss spoke,(um good at that)I didn't mean to say something there was better because it's price tag was higher,and in fact the lhs is just someone else who has to put their mark up on the product as well.
    In fact I have told our lhs owners their prices are to low,more than once I have seen them price things lower than the internet.I have tried many times to get them to stock SPC lipos,for the life of me I cant under stand why they wont.
    I said they seem to be a good fair priced product,that you would find hard to keep in stock
    But thank you for the information,and I wish more people would support their lhs,if they don't,before long they will need something ,and find a out of business sign on the door.
    You have a good day sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    For billy-bones: The main reason a 6500mAh/65C Reedy pack cost significantly more than the same spec (but lower priced) pack you listed, is because Reedy products are supplied through a distributor and retail chain. Each party must add their share to the price in order to stay in business, therefore the end product ends up being 2 to 3 times more expensive. But make no mistake, the cells in the Reedy 6500mAh/65C pack come from the same factory and are EXACTLY the same 65C cells purchased by the lesser priced supplier you keep mentioning. I know this for certain as it is my job.

I personally believe in supporting our local hobby shops and I applaud you for do so, however not everything you buy there is better just because the price is higher.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-12-2013 at 11:17 AM.

My Reedy is my oldest lipo, still hanging in there from when I purchased it used in 2009. Hopefully my SPC's will last as long.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LiPo batteries as with most rechargeable batteries, like to be used. Even though this many be very impractical for most people, the maximum operating cycles from a pack would be obtained if the pack was used every day. A LiPo pack likes to be used and inactivity is not good. As a rule-of-thumb, if the pack is stored properly the average shelf life is only 2 to 3 years. A pack that has been around since 2009 and still operating is very good indeed.
    Last edited by Jakey; 01-12-2013 at 11:36 AM.

RC Racer
    All 4-pole motors demand more from the batteries, so buy a battery with the highest c-rating you can find and at least 5000mah. You said you were racing, right. I've been running a CC 3800 SCT for more than a year and I've found that they like a higher c-rating just like Nuck says! The higher, the better. Your truck will accelerate faster with a higher c.
    Team Greyhound: the 40+ mph club

Well I think 6400mah 65c should do it,I sure hope so,my 35c thunder power's do a impressive job to tell you the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    All 4-pole motors demand more from the batteries, so buy a battery with the highest c-rating you can find and at least 5000mah. You said you were racing, right. I've been running a CC 3800 SCT for more than a year and I've found that they like a higher c-rating just like Nuck says! The higher, the better. Your truck will accelerate faster with a higher c.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    , the maximum operating cycles from a pack would be obtained if the pack was used every day. A LiPo pack likes to be used and inactivity is not good.
    I try to do my part.

RC Racer
    C rating isnt always everything. You also need to look at the quality of the cells. I have new 5000 40c venom lipos that have never had as much punch as my 3 year old SMC 5200 24c lipo. the venoms just dont hold voltage under normal load as well as the smc cells. This is also true for the lower C rating spc lipos we run, they just have more punch.

So what im saying is, make sure the lipos you buy are not just a high c rating but have high quality cells that hold voltage. Otherwise your "high dollar" pack is going to be outperformed by a pack that costs 1/3 of the price. And if you look around you can find a lot of reviews that will compare different lipos to their voltage under load. I highly recommend doing that before buying a pack.