RC Enthusiast

Newb Q: Shocks & Spring options for Slash 4x4. Got advice?

Got a Slash 4x4 Ultimate in November. Still completely stock, out-of-the-box. Love to race and hoping to be mid-pack contender.

My problem: Slash seems to be bottoming out during compression before a jump and after. I'm also hearing a kind of grinding noise when the car is compressing in the jumps in front of me.

As for the sounds, I know the body has been rubbing from time to time due to the paint wearing out from under the rear fenders. So it might still be the issue. I figure new springs will do the trick.

Also, tried adjusting top and bottom positions of the stock shocks/springs, plus added those 'C' clips to add ride height and make the stock spring stiffer (if it did any).

I'm looking into getting shocks and/or springs. I've heard that the stock shocks are fine, and its the springs that need to be changed.

Lastly, I dont know any about shock oil weight and how it affects the shocks.

Any suggestions?

Let me know if you need to more info, thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    there is not really a way to stop the bottoming out. the chassis is always going to smack the ground. dont worry about the chassis. most likely the grinding is the body on the tire. its because your suspension is really soft. does the car "sag" if you dont know what this means, lift your car up to reset the suspension, then compress it all the way down and let it go. it should lift back up some, not all the way but at least an inch i would say. if it "sags" try using the spacers, which im assuming that is what you meant by "c clips" start off small and keep adding as you need. if that doesnt work, i would start off by going with some stiffer springs. when i used the big bores i used red tmaxx springs in the front, and the tmaxx big bore springs in the rear.

Shock oil- i believe the stock big bores come with 35 wt. the higher the weight the thicker the oil is.. i think i ran 45 wt with the tmaxx springs. it affects the shocks by slowing down how fast it compresses. in the shock their is a piston with holes in it, if you dont want to compress as fast, change the piston and put one in with fewer holes. and change the oil. hope this helps
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Qualifier
    I put some fuel hose on my shock shaft that acts like a bump stop. I never bottom out now

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    I put some fuel hose on my shock shaft that acts like a bump stop. I never bottom out now
    when i tried that, and i hit a hard jump or something the hose would split. i got tired of replacing it.
    Racing in the Past, Present, and Future...MAYBE

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips!

Didn't know you could change the pistons in the shocks. Knew about the heavier weight oil and how it could affect rebound rate. I've just heard of different strategies online like using lighter weight helps. I guess it depends on the shocks. Fuel hose is noted.

Thanks again.

RC Champion
    Install Hot Bodies or Vorza D8 shocks and it wont bottom out. Doesnt handle as well but for bashing you can save the bottoming out problem. I try to keep the bottoming to a minimum and run SC10 big bores for track racing. First test I do after a rebuild or tuning is to drop the car from chest high. If it bottoms out Im not stiff enough and Im running an LCG chassis with like 20mm ride height.

RC Enthusiast
    I think once I get some new tires, springs, and change the weight of the oil, it might help reduce the bottoming out prior to launch.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprovEverywherE View Post
    Shock oil- i believe the stock big bores come with 35 wt. the higher the weight the thicker the oil is.
    The stock big bores come with 50WT front and 40WT rear if the manual didnt lied. I run 42,5WT front and 32,5WT rear with the silver Hot Racing springs. Ok, my car still bottoms out on huge jumps because of the ride hight I use (low as posible). And yes, I have the option to use the stiffer springs (blue) that come with the set, but its a question of the track conditions. On our track there are more bumpy areas than huge jumps and so I chose a softer setup.

RC Qualifier
    Losi springs

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashandBurn View Post
    Losi springs
    To soft I think. For me the Losi-spring-solution is an artefact from times with no alternatives because the slash 4x4 was new. And if you take a closer look at the cars (buggies) they were made for you see, that these cars were lighter as a slash 4x4. I run them both... the green and the blue ones. The harder blue ones are ok with the stock chassis. But now Im running Hot racing because of my new STRC-LCG comes with more weight. You can compare the blue Losi springs with the red ones (softest) that come with the linear Hot Racing set.