RC Qualifier

Chrome off stock summit wheels

Had some questions about getting the chrome off the stock summit wheels that come with the truck.

I have searched for and read a few posts. Sounds like it can be done with easy-off oven cleaner. For those of you that have done it i assume it works well on the summit? And once the chrome is off are you left with an all black wheel?

So just make sure I take off the colored beadlock? Will the easy off damage the tires because I really would like to avoid taking them off so I dont have to reglue.

Really like the stock wheels and tires. Just want the all black look on the wheels.

Any advice before I start would be appreciated.

Thanks n

RC Qualifier
    I have used the ez off. Worked really well. But my wheels didn't have tires on them.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC poster
    I used bearing grease on the rubber of my tires and then used easy-off to remove the chrome. after 3 applications of easy-off all the chrome was gone and I had semi gloss black rims. I did the grease because i wasn't sure what the easy off would do to the tire rubber

RC Qualifier
    I guess I could Boil the wheels and tires to take the tires off them have at it. Just to be safe?

So sounds like the easy off does the trick. I like the Greese idea on the tires too. Going to mull that over.

Looks like there is just chrome on the front of thebwheel so just have to concentrate in that.

RC poster
    At the time all I had were the stock rims and tires ... so destroying my only tires was not an option. I also used the easy-off on the push bar and light bar as well. I hate chrome lol

RC Qualifier
    Lol. Yeah I'm not a big fan of chrome either. Still for me and my likes Incan justify a little chrome in the bumper and light bar cause it matches the chrome tie rods.

Yeah the chrome in the wheels has to go. I want that semi gloss black wheel look. I will just boil off the tires and re glue them after the chrome is gone.

Hope this all works out well

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Check this out:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5102034

No damage to the tires what so ever.
    Nice black rims after I was done.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I removed the beadlocks.

Didn't do anything to protect the tires personally but I was careful to try and minimize overspray on the tires.

Mine had a little excess glue on the tire side wall from factory mounting, it did discolor the glue a little but hasn't seemed to have adverse effects.

It took me 4 applications. Apply and let sit for 15-20 mins and rinse with a hose, blow off dry and repeat. The last application was just for a few tough spots. The chrome was 95% gone after the 3rd application.

I'd recomend a well ventilated area and patience.

I was AMAZED at the quality of the plastic underneath, but then again any imperfection in the molded wheel would have shown through the chrome...duh with my background why would I have expected any less.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    OK. Seems like it is working pretty good. Decided to just leave the tires on and leave them unprotected. They seem perfectly fine.

Applied the Easy-Off last night before going to bed. Woke up this morning to a good result. I would say depending on the wheel the state of chrome removal was between 60% and 95%. I washed off and applied a new layer. Will let it sit a few more hours till lunch then will rinse again . If I have to will apply one more coat and then wait till after dinner. At that point should be able to pick off the remaining chrome I hope.

Really happy though these wheels are going to look awesome black with the blue beadlocks. Cant wait to get them done.

RC Qualifier
    Ok. All finished!! Wow came out great.

All in all it took 24 hours and 4 different times I applied the easy off, scrubbed, and rinsed to get all the chrome totally off and the wheels looking great. Now just to get back home and mount up the new look. I know people have posted pics before of this combo but when I get a chance I will throw a few more up here.

Thanks for all the help. Really happy with the results. And best thing the easy off didn't ruin the bond the tires have with the wheel. No regluing required! And the compound on the tires was not effected by the easy off either.

RC Qualifier
    I've use this stuff call citri-strip in the past. It's a paint remover, and with a stiff nylon brush took about 15 minutes per wheel. Never had luck with the easy off. Plus has a decent smell.

RC Qualifier
    Here are a few pics I promised above. Love the way it came out. But then again I love the black wheel look. If your a fan of chrome you won't care for it.

Not a fan of chrome and I do like it.
    Understated, with a pinch or two of
    If you get too close ....I WILL start tearing things up.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Not a fan of chrome and I do like it.
    Understated, with a pinch or two of
    If you get too close ....I WILL start tearing things up.

Sent using lipo power

Thanks.

Perfect.... That's exactly the look I was going for. :-)

RC Qualifier
    Blue on black...looks good

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect