RC Enthusiast

Sorry for another lipo Charger question Thread

Hey All,

i have been reading what seems like way to much info on charging lipo's and am getting confused, i have charged some 4400Mah 3s in the past with my chinese 6amp charger with an 90watt laptop power supply and it worked fine, but i got rid of my stampede 4x4 and the 3s lipo's along with it, now i have the all mighty summit and like everyone else, I love this thing, but the stock run times are killing me. Now to the question portion of my post i have just ordered 2 8200 mah spc packs and now thinking this charger might not be enough to charge these packs in a timely manner, is it going to be worth the money to upgrade to an 8 amp + charger or will this one be ok?

I thank you in advance for you thoughts on this

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-07-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Content.

RC Qualifier
    16.4amps. My SPC 8200Mah LiPos are to be charged at 2C. C=Mah value. 2 x 8.2 = 16.4 charging amperage.

6A vs 8A, the difference is 25%, so theoretically you'd see a 25% difference in the charging time.
    Does this sound right, yall?
    Last edited by satyrisci; 01-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

2c MAX charge rate 1 c would be 8.2 amps.(recommended) To charge two at a time in parallel at 1c would then be 16.4 amps.A Quality charger is never a bad idea.icharger is a good line of affordable and good quality chargers.
    Need a power supply. used server supply they are cheap and tons of power.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Guys.

Hey Jamann, quick question for you... i live on the same rock you do and am wondering where you get your gear from, i emailed the local shop in Victoria and they recommended a over priced 6 amp charger for the 8200 mah packs.

Most stuff I get from ebay.there are a few local places that carry some parts.
    But out here we seem to be on our own
    Lol as far as hobby shops

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Charger I got from ep buddy . Com
    Para board from progressive Rc

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

BC shavers shop....I'm not a big fan myself.you in Vic?

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Cool Thanks Man.. I`m out in Sooke... do you ever come out here to play? if so any must go places? i have only hit a few places so far... Aylard farm was a fun one.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    BC shavers shop....I'm not a big fan myself.you in Vic?

Sent using lipo power
    Ya bc shavers cant stand them.. there is a new shop in the west shore but i have not been in to check them out yet.

Ya he has some stuff. Another guy is smart Rc.in town by hillside mall

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

You will have to come out with us sometime,there is getting to be a bunch of us now. 6 on here.About 10 in total.
    Well11 with you

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    You will have to come out with us sometime,there is getting to be a bunch of us now. 6 on here.About 10 in total.
    Well11 with you

Sent using lipo power
    wow so many summit owners.. i guess we do live in the perfect place for it and ya i would love to come out, once i get the new packs anyway, right now i would last about 20 mins and have to call her a day

20 minutes is certainly not enough for the Summit. Cheap chargers will cook your packs. For these rather large Summit packs I would suggest something with at least a 10-amp charge rate. 20-, 30-, or 40-amp would be nice.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I've done a lot of charger research recently myself. Also a lot of battery care reading. I would go with an icharger or somthing from Revolectrix.

They seem to stand out from other brands in performance and features. Also they come highly recomended from serveral members here, they do need a power supply to run them, though.

I recently got a PL6 but haven't used it yet because I'm waiting on the pc interface cable...they were on back order.

ksb-

Would it be worth having a charger sticky? Maybe list the recomended models with general specs and the cookers to stay away from? I dunno probably too large a topic...just wanted to see what you all though

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

I'm getting 2 + hours crawling on a set of the 8200 mah.I'm getting a second set.shipping is very painful on these.... i have two sets of 5000 mah lipo.Usually have a extra set of lipo just in case for the guys who don't have extra
    Last edited by jamann; 01-08-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    I've done a lot of charger research recently myself. Also a lot of battery care reading. I would go with an icharger or somthing from Revolectrix.

They seem to stand out from other brands in performance and features. Also they come highly recomended from serveral members here, they do need a power supply to run them, though.

I recently got a PL6 but haven't used it yet because I'm waiting on the pc interface cable...they were on back order.

ksb-

Would it be worth having a charger sticky? Maybe list the recomended models with general specs and the cookers to stay away from? I dunno probably too large a topic...just wanted to see what you all though

A sticky to recommend chargers other than what Traxxas makes...hmmm, lol. I hear what you're saying, but the sad truth is that the people that just want the cheapest piece of...equipment far, far outnumber and attempt to drown out the people that would rather invest in a quality system. While to an extent there is certainly room for both sides, the flame wars that erupt over batteries and all things related - chargers high on the list - make me reticent to start one of those threads.

@jamann:

I will steer him in the right direction.as far as charger and power supply

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Forum a bit glitchy for anyone else?
    Lol yes the 8200 are exactly what you need here 3 or 4 hour climb and descents.got lots of those.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    2 8200Mah in parallel, at 2C is 32.8A?! I have never done that. But I must try some day...
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    A sticky to recommend chargers other than what Traxxas makes...hmmm, lol. I hear what you're saying, but the sad truth is that the people that just want the cheapest piece of...equipment far, far outnumber and attempt to drown out the people that would rather invest in a quality system. While to an extent there is certainly room for both sides, the flame wars that erupt over batteries and all things related - chargers high on the list - make me reticent to start one of those threads.
    Yeah I forgot about the Traxxas line of chargers. Good points...as always.

It isn't the Traxxas line that concerns me. There is really only one Traxxas charger that is relevant to Summit drivers. Even the EZ-Peak Plus 6-amp will not satisfy what I want

It isn't the Traxxas line that concerns me. There is really only one Traxxas charger that is relevant to Summit drivers. Even the EZ-Peak Plus 6-amp will not satisfy what I want to do. As a matter of fact, two or three might not. But there is a seat for every butt.