RC Champion

Question Brushless Edition: too MUCH power?

Just got the E-Maxx Brushless. This is my first R/C car in 30 years and I'm blown away by how fun it is. After bashing around with NiMhs for a few days, I invested in LiPos (5000mah / 11.1v).

Unfortunately, one of the tires immediately ripped off the wheel as it was spinning in the snow. It's almost like there was too much torque for the tire to handle.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is a different tire recommended over stock?

I'm new to cars, but not R/C (I fly planes as well).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-zippogeek

6s lipos are used more for speed passes and such. It has way too much power and i have seen tires fly off because of it. stock tires are ok if you like to upgrade you can to something like trencher x's, mashers, or a street tire but sounds like you run offroad though.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    No trouble on 6S with proline paddle and proline masher.......but i broke many differentiel!!!
    -EMB (GPS 51.6mph)
    -Spartan (GPS 48.2mph)

RC Qualifier
    Been running my truck on 6s pretty much from the get go. Besides Ballooning of purchased factory tires, have had no issues with Tires, and especially not ripping or shredding. If you plan to stick on 6s, I would advise buying tires and rims separately and then taping the tires and gluing them yourself.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Yeah, running on 6S is fun, but it's like touching off a rocket every time you hit the throttle. Lots of fun, but keep some cash on hand for replacement parts. 4S is still fun, but not so powerful that you can't control it.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion

Smile

Hey guys: thanks a million for the advice. I think I'll get some 2S packs and ProLine tires and just go a little slower.

So here's another newbie question: what's the correct size tire to order? I see all kinds of different monster truck tires on the ProLine site... Are those RIM diameters, or the actual diameter of the tire?

Thanks again in advance.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You want 3.8" tires and if buying rims either traxxas style for traxxas style rims and tires or 40 series for 40series rims and tires
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-08-2013 at 10:55 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Most rims are 3.5 or 3.8" and I think the stock Traxxas tire is about 5.85". If you buy the rims and tires as a set it makes things easier. Be careful of the size of the rim where it fits onto the hex nut. Some are 17mm and some are 14mm.

RC Champion
    Alright, I'm all set here now. Thx again...

RC Enthusiast
    I have 3.8 Trencher x tyres and with 4s there fine but if you go really hard the differentials do not like it

RC Qualifier
    it all depends on your gearing, right out of the box you dont have to change the gearing according to the mamba monster chart when you run two 5000mah 11.1v batteries for a total of 6s 22.2v. the stock gearing is 17/68 and is rated at 50mph+ and if you stray off the recommended gearing you may void your warranty by not following their guidelines. if something were to happen to your esc like mine you have to fill out a sheet and have your gearing you were running on that truck. if they suspect that you overheated the esc they will charge you. i have the proline mashers and they give my truck a better stance and i glued them myself and have not yet seen them come off the rim.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC poster
    Hey there I did not have my tire rip off but I got a huge tear in my tire while driving in the snow on 6s and I'm sure I didn.tdrive over any sharp objects

RC Qualifier
    I found the Big Joes didn't balloon as much as the stockers and the Road Rages pretty much didn't at all.

You do have to exercise some restraint on 6S. If the front wheels are in the air don't give it any more throttle, you'll just balloon the front wheels till they tear or explode.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suteki View Post
    I found the Big Joes didn't balloon as much as the stockers and the Road Rages pretty much didn't at all
    GOOD TO KNOW! I was checking those out on the Pro-Line website. Pretty much all I run on is concrete and grass, save for the occasional snow day.

RC Qualifier
    Yeh I like the Big Joe tires. They look good, which was my initial impression but when you look into it a little further they have a few other benefits;

- wider over all track width by 1 inch: better stability.
    - lower profile tire wall with ribs: less tire deformation (both laterally and in terms of expansion) helps with handling and blowing off tires
    - look nice and 'monster trucky'

Trencher X's look good too but I have a feeling they might expand a bit more than the Big Joes and the tire wall may not be quite as rigid. Haven't used them though so I can only go by what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Just got the E-Maxx Brushless. This is my first R/C car in 30 years and I'm blown away by how fun it is. After bashing around with NiMhs for a few days, I invested in LiPos (5000mah / 11.1v).

Unfortunately, one of the tires immediately ripped off the wheel as it was spinning in the snow. It's almost like there was too much torque for the tire to handle.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is a different tire recommended over stock?

I'm new to cars, but not R/C (I fly planes as well).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-zippogeek
    2/3s...you go to love it mate...I only run 2/3s in my truck. If you running 2/3s I suggest balancing and taping your tyres.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5295712

&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5298001
    Rock n Rolla !