Thread: Spur Gear

RC Competitor

Spur Gear

Just seemed to have chewed a few teeth up on the factory spur gear on my 4x4 vxl pede. Just curious now that I am to replace this gear,what is the best Pinion/Spur gear combo for these 4x4 pede's?

RC poster
    Had the same thing happen to me over the weekend. Pinion gear came loose and the grub screw fell out and rattled around and ate up the spur. Replaced it with a stock Traxxas gear I bought at the local hobby shop. Took maybe 10 minutes.

RC Competitor
    My truck took a pretty hard hit and think it drew the pinion gear out on a slight angle into the spur gear causing my issue. It's a pretty solid truck but I seem to have issues everytime I take it out bashing.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverdaddy View Post
    Just seemed to have chewed a few teeth up on the factory spur gear on my 4x4 vxl pede. Just curious now that I am to replace this gear,what is the best Pinion/Spur gear combo for these 4x4 pede's?
    Best depends on a lot of things. What type of battery (LiPo or NiMh) but mostly on the type of surface you're running on (ashpalt is easiest, then dirt/gravel, and grass is taxing) and how much starting/stopping and hard acceleration you're doing. If it gets too hot, drop down a tooth on the pinion until it runs cool enough. You willl probably need to add cooling if you're hard on it like I am. I have a Traxxas fan on the ESC and dual Integy fans on the motor. I run 13/54 gearing on LiPo with 3.2 wheels and big tires. It's trial and error to find the right combo for you buddy.
    Oh, and when you change a pinion, make sure you use blue Loctite and if possible let it dry overnight for best results.

My truck took a pretty hard hit and think it drew the pinion gear out on a slight angle into the spur gear causing my issue. It's a pretty solid truck but I seem to have issues everytime I take it out bashing.....
    Dude sometimes its best to do some pre run checks just to make sure that all screws are tight and there is no binding in the bearings and to keep moving parts lubed and less things go wrong plus if you have not modded it yet get the alu bearing adaptor and kingshead motor mount and mips all round and when a arms break replace with rpm and you should have less down time.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    I just picked this truck up two weeks ago and am learning the hard way that these things can and will cost money. I have already installed RPM arms as I did snap one. I have been doing alot of bashing in the snow thus far and will be hitting ashphalt, gravel and mud, basically anything I can throw at this truck. I am running 2s 6000mAH lipos with this truck and I do have plans to get the Mips in the near future.

RC Qualifier
    I just picked this truck up two weeks ago and am learning the hard way that these things can and will cost money. I have already installed RPM arms as I did snap one. I have been doing alot of bashing in the snow thus far and will be hitting ashphalt, gravel and mud, basically anything I can throw at this truck. I am running 2s 6000mAH lipos with this truck and I do have plans to get the Mips in the near future.
    You'll have a ball with it , but I warn you, it's more addictive than crack. The faster you go, the faster you want to go, and the more you break! Cha ching! Better save up for the MIP's. Believe me, you'll need 'em. Back first if you need to space out the cost. The front doesn't wear out nearly as fast when it's in the air so much - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    You'll have a ball with it , but I warn you, it's more addictive than crack. The faster you go, the faster you want to go, and the more you break! Cha ching! Better save up for the MIP's. Believe me, you'll need 'em. Back first if you need to space out the cost. The front doesn't wear out nearly as fast when it's in the air so much - LOL.
    Robs on the money its a must to do the backs first and get the traxxas alu bearing adaptor that goes on the slipper shaft as well part no. 6893x......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!