RC Enthusiast

should i get the slash 2wd or the slash 4wd?

hello i am about to buy a slash but i am not sure what to get so many options? please help!!!

RC Qualifier
    Slash ultimate 4wd

RC Champion
    Yup. I have a 4x4 ultamite and it is the shiz. I love it. And you can upgrade and customize it really easy too.

RC Enthusiast
    does it wheelie? thats really all i want one for! i also want something that would be good in snow!

RC Racer
    That a good question and I am glad you asked it. I was told by a buddy to get a 2wd slash and beat on it, upgrade and repeat. He has 2 4x4 slash's 1 to race and 1 to bash and his son has a 2wd basher and said the 2wd basher requires less service and repair and more Funtime. So he said in closing if you have little time and just want get out and go, go for the 2wd. I did but I am quite interested in the response from the crew.

If you want to learn how to drive a rc have fun,compete with your friends?Get the2wd.If you want a truck that pretty much goes where you point it,for the most part drives it self,but is indeed a lot of fun,get the 4x4.
    Where i live there are race tracks every where,not all pro tracks but tracks,but you'll be hard pressed to find one that has a 4x4 class.
    And if you do,you might find it a bit embarrassing when a good 2wd driver runs circles around you.
    All jokes aside we really don't have any four wheel classes that i know of,but we welcome everyone,a lot of the guys have 4x4s,but when it comes to real racing,we run 2wd.
    But i was very serious about one thing,there are about five guys(one not being me)whom i have no doubt will on a track beat a 4x4 slash with a 2wd slash with no problem.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    The 2wd is just a much more simple truck with many more options for upgrading. Also the Rustler/Stampede/Bandit parts compatability doesn't hurt either. My Stampede has been robbed many times to keep my Slash running for the day. I would have to think the 4wd would be better in the snow, though. Price is also a consideration. If the same question is asked in the 4x4 section, you'll probably have more bias towards that truck. Personal preference, really
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Quote Originally Posted by bmxdude97 View Post
    does it wheelie? thats really all i want one for! i also want something that would be good in snow!
    If you want a wheelie machine buy a stampede vxl
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    If you want a wheelie machine buy a stampede vxl
    Yes if its wheelies you want then get a 2wd brushless pede. The wheelie bar it comes with is really needed.
    For durability get a slash 4x4. The 2wd's will not be as durable.
    And I have examples to back this up.
    On the 2wd you break caster blocks driveshafts shock towers and after tou drive it a lot trannys.
    4x4 doesn't even have a tranny, and I never broke any of those parts on mine.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier

Stampede for your WHEELIES what fun is having a truck that stands on its rear bumper all the time
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Competitor
    I tend to agree with others. If you want to do wheelies, you can't beat the Stampede VXL. I have one with LiPo batteries and you can't keep the front end down. That's why I choose the 2wd model. 4wd won't do you any good when the front end is in the air most of the time.

MrTLV

I'd go with a Rally and put 2.8 trenchers and a different body on it for offroad, and the stock tires for on-road.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    what about the slash ford f-10 svt raptor would that be a god basher?

This is absurd, to say a 4x4 breaks less than a 2wd,hasn't been racing to long A diff is the main compounit of a transmission.
    A 4x4 has four bearing carriers four drive shafts multiple gears adding up to far more than a 2wd trans.
    Id really like to see these examples.
    We hammer our two wheel drives to death on the track ,yes they break.But when my friends take out their 4x4s(I don't have one yet)To play around,their brakedge is double the 2wd a 4x4 on one of our tougher short course's wouldn't make to races with out a break down I fix these thing for a living.And can say with out a doubt I'll repair 3 4x4s to 1 2wd not always the same parts as the 4x4 has two of everything,but sorry in my opinion you are mistaken.
    I'm not trying to be rude just realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    Yes if its wheelies you want then get a 2wd brushless pede. The wheelie bar it comes with is really needed.
    For durability get a slash 4x4. The 2wd's will not be as durable.
    And I have examples to back this up.
    On the 2wd you break caster blocks driveshafts shock towers and after tou drive it a lot trannys.
    4x4 doesn't even have a tranny, and I never broke any of those parts on mine.

RC Champion
    The 4x4 slash isn't that much more to maintain than a 2wd. My 4x4's break far less than any 2wd's we run with. It's more fun. I've gotten mine to wheelie on 2s at times depending on the type of concrete.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    what about the slash ford f-10 svt raptor would that be a god basher?
    so what is it you want a BASHER OR WHEELIE truck you dont need a Raptor to bash its nothing more then the Slash just cost more

Two things,your 4x4 isn't much more to maintain,and depending on the type of concrete.
    Point, the 4x4 is more to maintain,and neither truck was really meant for concrete.and is some one decides to run3s,common sense will tell you in a 4x4 it has twice the job load as a 2wd. in this case the 2wd might break more.but that's not the trucks fault,it the person not understanding there over powering there truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    The 4x4 slash isn't that much more to maintain than a 2wd. My 4x4's break far less than any 2wd's we run with. It's more fun. I've gotten mine to wheelie on 2s at times depending on the type of concrete.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Two things,your 4x4 isn't much more to maintain,and depending on the type of concrete.
    Point, the 4x4 is more to maintain,and neither truck was really meant for concrete.and is some one decides to run3s,common sense will tell you in a 4x4 it has twice the job load as a 2wd. in this case the 2wd might break more.but that's not the trucks fault,it the person not understanding there over powering there truck.
    Whats your point in response? Folks make a big deal about a 4x4 being more of a headache to maintain when in fact it's not much more!

RC Qualifier
    Whats your point in response? Folks make a big deal about a 4x4 being more of a headache to maintain when in fact it's not much more!
    we want your EXAMPLES to back this up we need PROOF as PICTURES LETS SEE THE PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by skye; 01-07-2013 at 07:56 PM.

RC Champion
    I have a huge youtube channel to back me up! lol You can also search many forums and youtube as well. The slash 4x4 isn't that much more to maintain than a 2wd once you learn to maintain it!

RC Qualifier
    I have a huge youtube channel to back me up! lol You can also search many forums and youtube as well. The slash 4x4 isn't that much more to maintain than a 2wd once you learn to maintain it!
    again you said you had PROOF where is it so your POINT is pretty much USELESS you have no Proof

I never meant to say it was a big deal.i even plan on getting a 4x4.
    I'm just trying to say this is my job this is what i do all day long.
    and i repair fer more 4x4s then 2wd.Their both great trucks,and both have a purpose,People tend to over power the 2wd with3s,the truck was not made to run 3s all the time,once in a while sure,i have a3s,but the4x4 is much more capable of using the 3s power because it has two axles to turn.
    Your making a big deal over nothing.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    again you said you had PROOF where is it so your POINT is pretty much USELESS you have no Proof
    I never said anything about proof!!! What is useless is you wanting to argue over nada!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I never meant to say it was a big deal.i even plan on getting a 4x4.
    I'm just trying to say this is my job this is what i do all day long.
    and i repair fer more 4x4s then 2wd.Their both great trucks,and both have a purpose,People tend to over power the 2wd with3s,the truck was not made to run 3s all the time,once in a while sure,i have a3s,but the4x4 is much more capable of using the 3s power because it has two axles to turn.
    Your making a big deal over nothing.
    I work on the electrics for my lhs when they need a hand as well. I also run a large rc group too. Most of our folks have switched from 2wd to 4x4's because they are fun and are not as hard to maintain as they thought. It's just a learning curve. I didn't run my slash 4x4 on 3s much. Mostly 2s. Now mine run 4s and 6s at times while my kids just run 2s. I do want to pick up a 2wd to teach them better control for racing!

RC Champion
    Settle down guys. Before you get this tread closed. I think it's what you're used to. I've never had a 2wd slash but its very similar to a Rustler... which I do have. I personally think that the whole 4wd thing with its diffs, drive shafts, and buried spur gear make the the Slash 4x4 a little harder to maintain than the 2wd with its simple motor mount/trans case. As for durability, I've always attributed the durability of the 4x4 to its body and bumpers so I'd think the 2wd would be the same.

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    I think the 2wd would be more durable for sure!

RC Champion
    I think they are both plenty durable. I wouldn't let that decide whether you get a 4wd or a 2wd. Do you run much in the snow or hardcore offroad? You would need new tires to do that but tires can be changed... entire platforms can't.

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    I had a Slash 2wd, but my main driving is as a basher, street and grass. And the 2wd slash has a hard time with grass, were the 4wd can do more.
    Both are durable, 2wd can take a little more abuse.
    The 4wd needs more after run maintenance, but they are not tough to work on.
    Now I have a 2wd Stampede and a 4x4 Stampede.
    If I had to pick one. I'd go 4x4... it can play in the snow and bash the best.
    Wondering what your budget is?
    That makes a big difference.
    Last edited by No One; 01-08-2013 at 06:35 AM.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    I had both a 2wd and a 4wd slash and EVEN WITHOUT BUMPERS OR EVEN BULKHEAD BRACES on the slash 4x4 it broke half as much as the 2wd.
    2wd's eat driveshafts like crazy and sometimes trannies also.
    NEVER broke a diff on the 4x4....and you should see how hard I drive...
    Get a pede 4x4. It will be a perfect combination of speed, power, wheelies, and handling.
    And 4x4's are NOT hard to work on at all when you get used to it.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

You know what,their both good trucks!
    It all depends on what you want to do with it.
    And the places you have to use it.
    I have 3 2wd,but fully intend to get a 4x4.
    and I'm sure I'll manage to break them both
    let's just agree to disagree.
    And all have fun rc ing.

I've replaced parts on my Rally and Sl4sh, and on my 2wd Slashes, Rusty and Pede's... I do think the Rally is more complicated due to the extra drivetrain parts, so it must be more difficult, correct? But after disassembling and reassembling a few times its pretty easy.

BUT to a newbie, a 4wd will be more difficult.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    i run all the time in the snow and loose dirt!!

RC Qualifier
    2wd in snow is not easy with out paddles. Even the Stampede on snow just spins, even with good tires. 4X4 makes a huge difference there.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

4x4 all the way, I didn't really like the 2wd slash that much. It was soo bulky looking to me and it didn't get around to well off road. The stampede 4x4 would be even better for that and it can be raced as well. I don't see how the 4x4 needs more maintenance it is electric after all, I don't really do anything different with my erevo than I did with my rustler except doing a storage charge on my lipos. Well their is that one extra body clip, LOL!

They are all great trucks and great fun you can't go wrong with any of them you will enjoy it no matter which you go with. I miss my rustler and pede at times, revo just seems so big...but it is a blast just the same.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy