Thread: Need advice

RC Enthusiast

Need advice

Ok After a friend of mine came over and took a look at my new Summit my wife got me for x mas he than told me that the ERBE woud smoke it. I told him that he was right that this is not ment for top end speed but crawling and pulling and that is why I wanted it. He then said that the ERBE would do a better job at that...... Well after a while we came up with the bright idea that we will have a tug o war with our rigs. Now I know what the ERBE can do I have one my self but I want to stack the deck in my favor, so I have installed twin titan 775 using the 14t pinion on them also I changed the spring rate and shock oil so it is stiffer. He did tell me that I have to run the stock tires and I could not have any chains on the tires, and he would be doing the same we will also be running 2x 7500 2s LIPO. Now my question to you guys is else should I do so I could increase my chances of winning, because there is alot of bragging as risk and I want to be the one who could do it.

RC Qualifier
    Can you video tape it

I'm not sure which one weighs more but it's mostly about weight and grip over speed

Locking the diffs should help
    Last edited by TQi; 01-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    Put weights on it so it gets more traction?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Oh the footage will be up win or loose I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to win. Also it is agreed upon that it will not stop untill a victory lap is made or something breaks!!!!!! TQi the summit actually does weigh more, but should I change my gearing or keep it stock, should I use low or high gear. I have not had this truck long and I do not know it like I do my ERBE (how it will act under a good thrashing) I am not worried about breaking things I can fix anything on the truck and I have a bunch of spare parts that will work on the Summit that I have in reserve for the ERBE.

RC Qualifier
    Probably want high gear incase you need some extra speed

Stock gearing and locked diffs should be all you need, the second motor probably isn't needed
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    That second motor will help with torque and will add the needed extra weight. My suggestion go slow and steady. The erevo has poor traction tires, within the first few moments he will realize that your truck is too heavy/ solid to budge and he will eventually panic, mash the gas pedal and loose all traction. Then you can pull him like a rag doll.

How do I know? Because its been done before (ALBEIT A NON BRUSHLESS EMAXX)

summit versus emaxx - summit wins in the towing department (SEE THE LATER PART OF THE VIDEO) . It was not based on speed but mostly weight/ traction/ and controllable POWER.

Last edited by noir 522; 01-07-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    your key will be weight, traction, amd control ie dont mash the gas pedal or else you will be the one to loose traction.

just dont challenge him to a race.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Now that I am off of work this is what I have so far

again tires are going back to stock he will not allow the ones I have on there now. If you guys say the setup I have now should be good enough than I will run with it and post what happens this weekend (as long as he does not chicken out).

Oh and noir 522 Dont worry I would not challenge him to a race with this truck..... I would get my ERBE out and smoke him all day long

Now that I think about it.Challange him to a race....just make sure you get to pick the course ....lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    you can practice your technique with something like a bungee cord or a bag of rocks. Remember to hook them low or they will just wheely.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Competitor
    Get your wife to wheel your erbe and do some test pulls, see how it goes.

RC Champion
    Wouldn't low gear be best? You don't want speed you are looking for pulling power.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    I also noticed in the video that he took off, and when he did the bungee cord made him bounce back loosing traction. I am pretty sure the Summit will win.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Tires alone the Summit will win.....since you're both running stockers. The erbe tires not only have a much lesser aggressive tread design but they are a somewhat harder composite and stiffer (narrower) sidewall. All of which add up to give the Summit an advantage.

Then when you add the extra weight of the Summit and the locking diff’s…….no contest. Just lock it down and give it a slow steady pull until he breaks traction. Once he does, hammer down on it and make beg you to stop. LOL
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Wouldn't low gear be best? You don't want speed you are looking for pulling power.
    The restricting factor is available traction, not lack of pulling power (especially since he's got dual motors now). No question, high gear has the power to break traction.

The only advantage to low gear in this situation is better throttle control.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    With dual 775's high gear would be fine. My concern would be breaking drive shafts. Thats ALOT of weight with ALOT of torque pulling another HEAVY truck with ALOT of horsepower. I have no doubt the summit will pull that ERBE around the yard like a little kids blankie... but theres going to be alot of strain on your drive train.

Still, you have to remember, the ERBE has 2 open diffs. So, once a single tire breaks free on the front or rear you loose %25 of your traction. Even IF you break a single drive shaft youll still have equal traction to an ERBE (but more thanks to your HUGE, soft, sticky tires)
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    * upgrade the center and drive shafts!? especially if the ERBE has them....?
    * weight the frontend down to help lessen the chances of wheelie and tipping over
    * adjust your tierods/links to the lowest COG setting. maybe have the front lowest and the rear in the middle?
    * add a servo & tow truck like lift to the back to lift his car off the ground, tip it over and then proceed to drive on top of it, stopping to take a picture at the peak of Mt. Summit!?!?! hahahaha

RC Champion
    Is it hilarious that at this very minute his friend is over on the Erevo boards posting the same question and every forum member there is stating that

" Theres no way that the old technology BRUSHED summit with that 1980's designed 200 kwatt motor can touch your modern day 1300 kwatt brushless erevo"

" Heck just the p3 rockers and the sway bars alone guarantees you better stability and traction over that bouncy summit."

" heck by time he changes into second gear your BRUSHLESS erevo would have pulled him backwards at speeds faster than he ever could achieve going forwards"

" he might even brag to his friends " Man my summit hit a top speed of 45 mph-- backwards"

" just start of slow and wait for that 775 to smoke itself to death"

" with your low profile and his high center of gravity he will be in a new position , roll back and assume dog- beg position"

" 1300kwatts vs 220kwatts? He will be singing a new song "HE YANK ME GANGUM-STYLE"
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Gangum-style
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    He yank me gangum-style
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    He yank me gangum-style
    If nothing else they got a sence of humour
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Now you have me curious......I’ll have to drop over in the erbe world and read some of this myself. Like many of you on here I have a Summit and an erbe and IMO there is no way my erbe could pull my Summit backwards. Especially with stock tires!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post

*snip*

" Theres no way that the old technology BRUSHED summit with that 1980's designed 200 kwatt motor can touch your modern day 1300 kwatt brushless erevo"

*snip*

" 1300kwatts vs 220kwatts? He will be singing a new song "HE YANK ME GANGUM-STYLE"
    I hope when these guys say kwatts they don't mean kilowatts.

An RC car with a 1300kW motor? That's over 1700 horsepower

Similarly, it makes me laugh, but also disappoints me when guys on the boards think that KV (motor velocity constant - as in 2000KV motor) is the same as kV (kilovolts). The lack of logic is mind boggling.
    Last edited by HuddledToast; 01-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Put a brick inside it.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    i'm not one to talk junk before a contest, i really hate to eat my words......but i really don't see how the erevo could win a tug of war with a summit. horsepower is not everything here; more weight + more traction + lower gearing will prove itself superior. sure a corvette has more horsepower and torque than a full size truck, but with the truck in 4x4 low the corvette has no chance.
    i really hope a good 'best of 7' video gets posted here and in the erevo forum (just MAKE SURE that slipper is TIGHT!)

RC Qualifier
    Anyone got a link to the other guys thread?
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    Anyone got a link to the other guys thread?
    that was a joke guy. I just wanted to stir the pot

But lets see what woulda coulda shoulda ? ? ? ?

EREVO LINK
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...76#post5384976
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Lol I've been over on the revo threds reading them for like a hour now and couldn't find it. Lol. It's kinda funny how much the bash a summit in one thread and in the next they say use summit parts.
    It's also funny on how the respect anr attitudes differ. I noticed here is extremely mellow nice and helping and over there is blunt and rude and argumentative.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    ROFL Noir
    Good way to get another(eyes) view on it

RC Qualifier
    My phone decided to Dbl post. It's being retarded.
    Last edited by Keila72; 01-11-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    oh my goodness - that second link is actually working
    (look 2 posts up)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Omg!!! I didnt even look at the link till after i posted. I love it!!!!!
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Champion
    Sshhhhhhh - dont say nuttin
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    want to borrow my rx8 summit, bet it would give that revo a run for the money on the track, then drag the revo around like a toy!

RC Qualifier
    How is this weekend looking for the "Pull-Off"? Gonna be able to make it happen???