RC Competitor

stampede 4x4 vxl overheat

hi i am new here to rc . Just brought a stampede 4x4 vxl about 3 weeks before Christmas . Now since i have put a 2s lipo in it the motor has been getting really really hot. I have been keeping a eye on it when using it. it is stock except for lipo any help would be appreciated.

also when it goes hope it dosent touch wood

what is a good esc motor combo

You want to check to see if you have a bind or a naff bearing some where also look into getting fans on the esc and motor.Mine lasted about 2 years then died but it was run very hard on 2s and 3s on 13t pinion but now rock a hobbywing sct pro esc 120a and a tenshock 3500kv 4 pole 550 size motor and its a beast on 2s and 3s...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    You want to check to see if you have a bind or a naff bearing some where also look into getting fans on the esc and motor.Mine lasted about 2 years then died but it was run very hard on 2s and 3s on 13t pinion but now rock a hobbywing sct pro esc 120a and a tenshock 3500kv 4 pole 550 size motor and its a beast on 2s and 3s...peace
    Heard good things on the ten shock 3500kv 4 pole 550 motor. Might get that upgrade when the verlineon quits on me.

RC Enthusiast
    The Velineon motor can get pretty hot when running Lipos - on 2S mine runs around 135 - 140 degrees. Meaning you can touch the motor for 4 - 5 seconds before it starts to really hurt. The motor is safe to run up to 200 degrees, however would not recommend going over 180 degrees and realistically 140 degrees or lower is best. Pick up a infrared heat gun to monitor the temps.

It is also a good idea to put on a heatsink and fan - both on the motor and ESC. The motor fan and heatsink can be found on ebay for $15, I use a single fan from Hot Racing with good results. The ESC fan is from Traxxas and they sell for $20. A cheap investment for the cost of the motor!

Also if you are running multiple packs through your truck let it cool down between runs.

If you plan to run 3S - it will get hot quickly, you will have to gear down and really watch temps.

You can upgrade the motor to one that runs cooler, however on 2S the stock system works just fine in that truck.

Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Heard good things on the ten shock 3500kv 4 pole 550 motor. Might get that upgrade when the verlineon quits on me.
    Yes its boss and it goes so well even on 2s with a 17t pinion it keeps up with my mates merv on 3s and when i pop a 3s in it goes wild and the torque is so strong it can still wheelie at 3/4 throttle with ease to stage you have to feather it or its on the roof.....peace

RC Qualifier
    Yes its boss and it goes so well even on 2s with a 17t pinion it keeps up with my mates merv on 3s and when i pop a 3s in it goes wild and the torque is so strong it can still wheelie at 3/4 throttle with ease to stage you have to feather it or its on the roof.....peace
    Stop saying that man. Your really tempting me to get one now... LOL!
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 01-07-2013 at 05:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pa2pla View Post
    hi i am new here to rc . Just brought a stampede 4x4 vxl about 3 weeks before Christmas . Now since i have put a 2s lipo in it the motor has been getting really really hot. I have been keeping a eye on it when using it. it is stock except for lipo any help would be appreciated.

also when it goes hope it dosent touch wood

what is a good esc motor combo
    If you want to run hard on 2S and 3S, you need cooling. I've got a Traxxas fan on the ESC and dual Integy fans/heatsink on the motor. I run off road with 13/54 gears and it runs usually in the 140 - 150 range running hard.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cjhike View Post
    It is also a good idea to put on a heatsink and fan - both on the motor and ESC. The motor fan and heatsink can be found on ebay for $15, I use a single fan from Hot Racing with good results. The ESC fan is from Traxxas and they sell for $20. A cheap investment for the cost of the motor!

Also if you are running multiple packs through your truck let it cool down between runs.
    I'll be getting fans during the summer. It's winter time and I won't have any problem running hot for now.

Yes dude fans are a must during the summer just to keep the esc and motor in check....peace

RC Competitor
    Hi thanks for all the replies my nets been down for a few days now did know about replies.

So I got a esc fan looking at heatsink for motor. Now I had a look at the pinion gear was a bit tight on the spure gear that was set stock. Now on touch the motor takes a ill longer to heat up. But I was looking at going down to 10 or 9 tooth pinion will that help heat till I get a heat sink

And what is a good brand for infered temp gage

RC Qualifier
    Going down to a 9 tooth should help lower the temps, also running in grass will strain the drivetrain and motor. Not sure what surfaces you run on though.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty don View Post
    Going down to a 9 tooth should help lower the temps, also running in grass will strain the drivetrain and motor. Not sure what surfaces you run on though.

I run on grass,solid road and loose gravel. Do you know how much the speed will drop on a 9t

Your top speed will only go down abit on a 9t but less chance of over heating but get fans for esc and motor it all helps.....peace

RC Competitor
    Your top speed will only go down abit on a 9t but less chance of over heating but get fans for esc and motor it all helps.....peace
    ok thanks so muce i got esc fan just waiting on motor fan thanks so much people

RC Competitor
    ok thanks so muce i got esc fan just waiting on motor fan thanks so much people

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pa2pla View Post
    Hi thanks for all the replies my nets been down for a few days now did know about replies.

So I got a esc fan looking at heatsink for motor. Now I had a look at the pinion gear was a bit tight on the spure gear that was set stock. Now on touch the motor takes a ill longer to heat up. But I was looking at going down to 10 or 9 tooth pinion will that help heat till I get a heat sink

And what is a good brand for infered temp gage
    I've got a heat sink w/dual fans on the motor and ESC fan. I run 13/54 gears on 2S and 3S Lipo which works well with this cooling set up even on 5.5" tires on a short dirt track so there's lots of acceleration and wide open throttle. Duratrax makes a good temp gage and they're reasonable.

I was always running 11-13t pinions with 2s and 3s with fans and the vxl system was good until it died at the age of 2 years but with a good clean out of the motor every 6-9 months and replace the bearing with the traxxas kit part number 3352...peace

RC Qualifier
    I was always running 11-13t pinions with 2s and 3s with fans and the vxl system was good until it died at the age of 2 years but with a good clean out of the motor every 6-9 months and replace the bearing with the traxxas kit part number 3352...peace
    " All good things must come to an end". Praise God & Traxxas for the limited lifetime warranty replacement cost! I have a spare in the toolbox to pop in when that happens so I don't lose time when it happens.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I've got a heat sink w/dual fans on the motor and ESC fan. I run 13/54 gears on 2S and 3S Lipo which works well with this cooling set up even on 5.5" tires on a short dirt track so there's lots of acceleration and wide open throttle. Duratrax makes a good temp gage and they're reasonable.
    Can you explain something for me - how did you get the motor fan power? ESC fan is easy (the plug is already there). When I tried to plug a motor fan into the receiver it just burnt up (literally melted) and never worked. I suspect I had the plug flipped around?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by baylorar View Post
    Can you explain something for me - how did you get the motor fan power? ESC fan is easy (the plug is already there). When I tried to plug a motor fan into the receiver it just burnt up (literally melted) and never worked. I suspect I had the plug flipped around?
    You may have had reverse polarity or shorted depending on how you did it.
    Here's the more fool proof way. Go down to your LHS and get some pigtail BEC plugs. These just have a red (+) and black (-) wire. You need one to mate with the power coming off the ESC, one that will plug into that one, and one to mate with each fan. Now splice the two pairs from the fans on the motor into the wires on a plug that plugs into the harness you're making. This should terminate on the plug you will plug into the ESC. Solder in the other plug going to the ESC in parallel.
    This sounds more complicated than it is. Just remember, red to red and black to black. LHS can probably explain to you if you still have questions.
    When you're done, you have a place you can disconnect the motor fans and the ESC fan separately for ease of maintenance.
    The ESC puts out 6V and up to 2.5 amps. You have more than enough to run the fans and a Traxxas light bar. I plugged the lights into the receiver because it was closer and the kit came with that plug. You get the same power at either spot as it all comes from the ESC BEC anyway.

RC poster
    Resurrecting old thread but was this resolved?
    I have a p4ed brushless all stock except MIPs, esc fan and 3s lipo and it trips into thermal shutdown after 5mins.

Am at a complete loss to understand what's is going on.

RC Champion
    You are geared too high and the vxl doesn't like 3s. Those mip shafts are also really heavy and that causes more heat because they cause more inert a in the drivetrain. Gear down if you can or try running 2s.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by azreal View Post
    I have a p4ed brushless all stock except MIPs, esc fan and 3s lipo and it trips into thermal shutdown after 5mins.

What gearing are you running and have you checked the entire drive train for binding? ...peace

Quote Originally Posted by azreal View Post

some people have reported a slight bind with the mip cvds when the shocks are in the fully extended position. that's what i would check first. you might need to lower it a little bit to get it to more of a horizontal position to prevent the bind if that's what it is.
    (2)RC8TEs, RC8.2E (2)slash 4x4 2650 pede 3800

I have used hudy graphite grease on mine recently and they could not be any smoother.....peace