RC Qualifier

After some EVX2 Lvd help.

I run lipo in the summit with the EVX2 Lvd on but only have 1 set of lipo, Once there used I change to Nimh, How ever the Evx goes into Voltage over load when I put in the Himh in to switch off the Lvd. What am I doing wrong, Any suggestion on how to over come this.

RC Qualifier
    I have no experience with lipo and LVD yet but a suggestion.
    Once the LVD kicks into its first stage (leaves you with only 50% throttle) then immeadieatly stop using it and use what power is left before the car shuts down to turn the LVD off. In other words don't run it till it shuts down, only run it until the first stage is activated then turn LVD off.
    IMO that should work.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Qualifier
    that is a good idear but i do trailing in low gear and slow speed and don't realise when the first stage kicks in. but other wise that would work

RC Qualifier
    If your constantly switching from nimh to lipo you might have to get an LVA .

Run with the esc in nimh mode and use the alarm when running the lipos. Rely on it to know when to stop.

eBay has them for pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    If your constantly switching from nimh to lipo you might have to get an LVA .

Run with the esc in nimh mode and use the alarm when running the lipos. Rely on it to know when to stop.

eBay has them for pretty cheap.

That's what I have done with my sons Summit. He has LVD and it was shutting down too early IMO. I talked with Traxxas support and there is no way to adjust the limit on the ESC, so I decided to just run it with the LVD off and use the LVA instead. Now he can drive just as long as I can when we are out.

RC Qualifier
    I have LVA but my EVX burn out, was my fault and bought, a new EVX2 Lvd so i dont have to run with the LVA as there are a bit sentient with water. Surly if you are running lipo with Lvd on and stop there is a way to turn off the lvd???

what would you do if a new summit that comes with nimh was had the LVD on? Must be a way of turning it off using the nimh?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdcs07 View Post
    I have LVA but my EVX burn out, was my fault and bought, a new EVX2 Lvd so i dont have to run with the LVA as there are a bit sentient with water. Surly if you are running lipo with Lvd on and stop there is a way to turn off the lvd???

what would you do if a new summit that comes with nimh was had the LVD on? Must be a way of turning it off using the nimh?
    This is from personal experience, but once your ESC has hit LVD, the only thing you can do is unplug the wires to shut it off. You cannot do anything with the ESC until it cools down. Again, this is how mine is, so whether or not they are all like this, I do not know.

RC Qualifier
    As far as I know like said above, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the batteries...I could be wrong, though.

You could use a balloon or any other latex sheath to cover the LVA to make it more water resistant. Sould still be able to hear it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    As far as I know like said above, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the batteries...I could be wrong, though.

You could use a balloon or any other latex sheath to cover the LVA to make it more water resistant. Sould still be able to hear it.

I used liquid tape to fill the open area around the pins and then cut the finger off a latex glove and slipped it over the other side of the LVA. It is still plenty loud, waterproof, and you can still see the LED lights through the material (I had blue gloves). I also run a Dusty Cover, so that helps also.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdcs07 View Post
    I run lipo in the summit with the EVX2 Lvd on but only have 1 set of lipo, Once there used I change to Nimh, How ever the Evx goes into Voltage over load when I put in the Himh in to switch off the Lvd. What am I doing wrong, Any suggestion on how to over come this.
    You are not doing anything wrong!

It is 100% ok to use the ESC in LiPo mode with LiPo's until the ESC stops powering the motor. This is how it is designed to be used. Traxxas suggests to unplug the batteries from the ESC to shut it down.... I am not sure why, I just follow the suggestion.

To switch it to NiMh mode with a NiMh that is triggering over-voltage:
    (bare with me, as I do not have notes and am going from memory)
    Plug in 1 NiMh on BEC side
    Press the ESC button
    -ESC should flicker on
    Press and HOLD the ESC button to exit LiPo mode

There is a few threads on this and I have seen a YouTube video showing this procedure. But, like a bad little poster I did not save any of this information... hopefully this works or someone with first hand knowledge can chime in - I run LiPo only.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

To switch it to NiMh mode with a NiMh that is triggering over-voltage:
    (bare with me, as I do not have notes and am going from memory)
    Plug in 1 NiMh on BEC side
    Press the ESC button
    -ESC should flicker on
    Press and HOLD the ESC button to exit LiPo mode

There is a few threads on this and I have seen a YouTube video showing this procedure. But, like a bad little poster I did not save any of this information... hopefully this works or someone with first hand knowledge can chime in - I run LiPo only.
    THAT'S RIGHT!!

I remember reading that too Jimmie...I also didn't save it. The way you are describing sounds like what I remember. .

RC Champion
    Good info on the new evx2
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    What I do when the LVD has been activated and i'm switching to NIMH, is I unplug the lipos and reconnect them just the opposite of what they were. Then press the button on the esc it will light green like it should. Hold the button down for 10 seconds you will here the esc beep and turn red. Unplug the lipos and plug in the NIMH and you are good to go. The batteries do not discharge equally. I'm not that smart I believe I learned the trick from JEEPINWILLYS.