RC Champion

Should i get one?

I have been into rc for a while now and I'm loving it. I have a slash 4x4 ultimate and its all I've wanted and more. I have seen many videos and heard lots about the summit and I'm starting to fall in love with it. I like all the features it has and the way it looks. I have a few questions though. Should I get one? I mean is it as strong as it looks? Do all the features work? Like the locking diffs and high and low range gearing? I want a truck that can go anywhere and do anything. Is this that truck? It it easy to maintain and fix? What about upgrades? Will there be things that I will need to upgrade out of the box? Anyway it looks like a great truck and I really want one but just need to know if its really worth it.

Thanks to anyone who responds

RC Qualifier
    Can't say whether to get one or not util i know a few things.
    1. Do you have somewhere to run it?
    2. IMO it is as strong as it looks. It depends on your driving style as to what breaks and how often things break.
    3.Locking diffs... They DEFINITELY work. With diffs open all wheels can spin at different speeds to each other. as soon as you lock them up all the wheels HAVE to spin at the same speed meaning that if 1 or 2 or even 3 wheels are off the ground the 4th wheel that is getting traction can still push the truck.
    4. Hi/Lo Speed... These are good. Remeber these are opostie extremes in gearing so you can't use them as 1st/2nd gear. But switch into low lock ya diffs do the tricky bit switch it back to high unlock the diffs and go for a spin.
    5. Well this truck can certainly go many many places, in fact i haven't brought it to a hault in any sort of terrain yet. As for "doing everything" well it is capable of a lot of things but a few it can't and is not meant to do is go super fast or handle like a short course truck. the brushed motor is designed for low speed torque and the suspension is designed for long travel articulation.
    6. Upgrades... It is an excellent truck out of the box. Most poeple rarely buy upgrades when they buy the truck it works jsut fine as it is. but as the time goes on you can upgrade to a 14.4v dewalt, steel centre drive shafts, aluminium toe links and pushrods (stop the crappy looks when the steel rusts), new wheels, and younger gen summit owners upgrade to lipo but if you get one it will come with lipo. To sum up no upgrades necessary out of the box.
    Defnitely worth it IMHO.
    Hope this helps
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Champion
    Ok. I do have a place to run it and I sounds like a great truck. I just want to make sure that it is worth all the money. Sounds like a great deal though. I think I'm going to pick one up some time this week.
    Thank you.

Just get it. Everyone that gets one loves it! Everyone who doesn't love it can't handle the awsomeness. I LOVE mine!

EDIT: Read this thread, it helped me alot... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tting-a-Summit...
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-07-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Just get it. Everyone that gets one loves it! Everyone who doesn't love it can't handle the awsomeness. I LOVE mine!

EDIT: Read this thread, it helped me alot... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tting-a-Summit...
    I would hope so...OP might have been looking for an abbreviated version

Edit: But in all seriousness the summit is a very capable and durable RC. Out of the box it really has no shortcomings.

Mods seem to be for those who like to push the envelope or tinker. I myself am the latter, even so I still have a bone stock summit except for the t-bone skids. If you've got the terrain the summit will entertain to no end.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 01-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.

RC Racer
    The only downfall ive found to my summit is i dont have the terrain really to push the truck to the limits... It does everything so easy... But this summer im planning trips to the local offroad park! Its also the only r/c truck ive never broke or needed to buy parts for...

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking when I bought mine why I had wasted my hard earned money, as I am only 14. Turns out, I didn't waste it at all!!! This thing is a Monster and has tackled everything I have given it. Only got it on Friday though, so it is still fairly new. The only mods I am planning to do to mine is get the T-Bone Chassis and A-Arm Skid Plates, The Dusty Motors Shroud, and I want to get Lipo Batteries for it. That is really all it needs, but out of the box like mine still is, it is one of the best RC Trucks I have ever had.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Thank you. That's my problem is I'm only 17 so I have things to buy things to save up for so is it worth the money right now. It sounds like it is.

It is expensive but looking at it
    It takes the place of a few Rc
    Want to go reasonably fast ...check
    Want to go trail running .......check
    Want to crawl around on rocks etc check.
    Now want to be able to do that in any weather day or night. Dbl check
    Want to be able to go places and do things most other Rc can't
    Summit can and does regularly. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Thank you. That's my problem is I'm only 17 so I have things to buy things to save up for so is it worth the money right now. It sounds like it is.
    The only thing though, I worked a year to make mine just mowing my own lawn and doing chores. You can or have a good job, so if you can make back the money and then some, I think it would be a good purchase. At least it was for me! My dad said it was a bad idea to have 2 rc cars, a slash and a summit, and they make a good combo.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I worked a year to make mine just mowing my own lawn and doing chores
    Ha ha, same here. Trust me, I earned my Summit for over 5 months, and it was worth every penny!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    This is true I do have a good way to make money. Actually have a job since I was 14 and bought my slash with some of that money. Good to know a slash and summit go good together.

RC Qualifier
    i wish i never got rid of my summit i just didn't have anywhere to run it in the city i live in.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    I am actually planning on making a trailer for my Slash so I can pull it with my summit. If you have a Summit, you can bash, crawl, whatever you feel like. Then when you go to the track, take your Slash. Then you have speed and or power both when you want it.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Ok good to know that my slash will go with a summit just fine. What is the difference between the 4th gen and 5th gen? (If that's how many there are) I like the older body better then the new one that has black all over it.

Tx,Rx and body graphics that's it

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Lvd???????
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    The Summit is the most amazing truck ever. Though i am currently rebuilding my front differential after only three weeks, just goes to show you that if you have the summit tangled in a metal bench, its probably not the brightest Ideal to go full throttle with the wheels spinning at 40mph and locked front diffs, it tends to snap the output shaft lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by his grace View Post
    The Summit is the most amazing truck ever. Though i am currently rebuilding my front differential after only three weeks, just goes to show you that if you have the summit tangled in a metal bench, its probably not the brightest Ideal to go full throttle with the wheels spinning at 40mph and locked front diffs, it tends to snap the output shaft lol
    :: Really!?!?!

RC Competitor
    DO NOT GET ONE!!! lol sorry just wanted to be diffrant from everyone else. The real question isn't should you get one, but why don't you have one already. I have been away from RC world for a few years & I just got one for Christmas & I am lovin it great way to get back into things. The only downfall I have seen so far is there is not a lot needed in upgrading this thing its pretty good out of the box.
    Don't take it out unless your going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Lvd???????
    D'oh ...... newer esc. Old age can be sad ......lol.still basically the same truck started out solid and a few minor updates still solid...speaking of solid.
    Everyone still knows the solid white ones are the best right?back in the old days when they made em tougher..lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    You could always get a new one and just get the older body style for it. Then it would look just the same.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    I think that's what I'll do. Get the newest one and just find an old body somewhere. I really like the look of them.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    I think that's what I'll do. Get the newest one and just find an old body somewhere. I really like the look of them.
    just get a clear body and make it your own summit

As long as you paint it white....
    You can have the power.....lol
    Kidding.
    It don't matter what shell is on it.Its a summit, anything in its path had best get out of the way.....If it knows what's good for it lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Finding a new solid colored body is going to be difficult. Most where sold right after the switch for high dollars.
    The Whites will be really hard to find... the unstoptanium used to manufacture cannot be found anymore.

The only reason I had so many "?" after LVD is to fill the 10 character limit, Jamann.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

No worries .....can't believe I missed one of the big changes.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    That's a good idea. I'll make my own summit body. Like paint it a cool red.... I mean white. lol are the canyon AT tires that it comes with good?

Ha ha ha ha
    yes the canyons are good for off road rock etc.
    Pavement change tires,it will beat up the canyons pretty quick.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    run to the store!

RC Qualifier
    The stock canyons are very soft. Perfect for what the summit was designed for, their softness readily takes the shape of terrain under foot providing great traction. High speed handling is a different story, though...but the summit isn't really a high speed rc. Opinions may differ from user to user but they will get you started.