Thread: servo problem?

RC poster

servo problem?

My son's merv seems to have developed a servo problem. If you turn all the way left, it clicks when returning to straight. Additionally, if you slowly turn to the left, the servo will stick left and buzz. a bit of throttle will get it to let loose.

Assuming this is the servo or one of the gears in it stripped. 1/16 e-revo, what's the best choice?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run the hitec 5085 have had no problems! Lots of turning power and have had some hard crashes even over 50 into a curb
    Other good servo is the bb390 if you are not in a hurry. Overseas
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-06-2013 at 09:47 PM.

RC Champion
    The stock servo is known to have issues. I just upgraded to a Hitec HS-5086WP. It cost me 50 dollars but I've never heard of one failing. Some say that an 8 dollar corona servo works well but someone just posted that they are having problems with theirs. Some say that the bluebird 390 (I think that's the number) is the way to go. If you have the money, you can't go wrong with the Hitec IMO so that's the decision I made. Just throwing this out there as an offer... I'd be glad to throw the gears out of my old 2080 in an envelope and mail them to you if you would rather just fix your stock servo assuming your in the con us.

Sent from my iPad mini
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Enthusiast
    Ive installed a hs85mg and its been flawless only cost me $20 at the LHS.

RC Champion
    I need a new servo for my MERV.

I am debating between the Hitec 5085mg and the Hitec 5086wp.

Which one should I go with? Do either require modding for installation?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 5086 needs some grinding the 5085 only needs a hitec horn and a longer link will help two rod ends and take a long 2.5 screw and cut it for a stud
    Last edited by 50togo; 01-07-2013 at 09:14 AM.

RC Champion
    So the 5086WP doesnt require chassis modding or any other parts?

RC Champion
    Don't forget about the Corona DS-238MG servo, I've been using 2 of them for a few months now and they are working great. Metal gears, ball bearings, and higher torque than stock for only $8 from china. I waterproofed one a few weeks ago and have been using it in the snow almost daily.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    So the 5086WP doesnt require chassis modding or any other parts?
    The 86 requires some chassis modification. The 85 does not.

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!

RC Champion
    So the 85 is a drop in? Do I need the aluminum horn and new linkage like stated above?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    So the 85 is a drop in? Do I need the aluminum horn and new linkage like stated above?
    Can't say for sure but I believe it comes with a horn that can be trimmed to fit but the link from the horn to the horizontal piece that runs all the way across the chassis needs to be made.

Sent using 8.4 volts of NiMH power!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't need the horn but its nice in the box is a 4 way horn just trim two sides off . You can do without the link too but will work better with a longer one

RC Champion
    I just ordered the 5085mg and the Hitec aluminum servo horn.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pu some rod ends traxxas 7059 if you don't have any for the link. Good to have extra on hand!

RC poster
    OK, it finally totally failed. Guess I'm going to order him (and me... can't have him getting ahead of me) a hitec 5085. Am a bit concerned about the link you are talking about making. I like easy bolt up stuff. Can you elaborate on that? I hate the idea of buying another faulty/weak stock one, but am not sure about making up links and stuff.

Also, the comment by RobF about aluminum horn, is that the arm that connects from the servo and pushes the linkage? Would buying the aluminum one prevent needing to make a new link?

/confused

RC Champion
    I understand that you need to make a longer link, even if you use the aluminum servo horn.

I will see what needs to be done once my servo arrives.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Easy to do. Take two rod ends 7059) and a half inch long 2.5mm bolt. Cut the end off the bolt and thread it into each rod end

To make it easier before you cut the bolt thread it into each rod end (screw it in) it will make it easier to put it together. Will look like this when your done