Thread: ESC smoking?

RC Racer

ESC smoking?

ok, guys

i turned on my brushed 1/16 summit and ran it for maybe 5 mins. It completely stopped so i went to check it out. I opened it up and it smelled really wierd. so it just starts smoking and then shuts off. later i try again but it flashes green then stops ... i took apart the esc and i have no clue whats wrong.. New esc or what?
    and why would it do this?

RC Racer
    I'm betting your servo fried itself, your lucky it still turns on, my servo fried my ecs too when it went, try unplugging the sevro and see if the ecs will turn on.

RC Racer
    ok, ill try that now

ok so gas was working... yay! but then i turned it off and on again and no gas or steering. i put in new servo, everything will turn on but none of it will move .. Why!?!?!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-18-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Racer
    So the ecs turns on and stays lit red? if it smoked some it could be bad now, all mine would do when it was bad was blink green if the button was held, are the wires hooked up right? should look like this

This is what the inside of your servo will look like if it's cooked, did the servo turn hard to one side before it quit?

RC Racer
    servo is burnt out. but esc still isnt turning on?

RC Racer
    If the ecs isn't turning on I'd say it's done, does it blink green when the button is held? I don't know why they put these junk servo's in these things, they might as well sell the trucks without a servo so you can just put a decent one in from the start, my sons digger had less than 20 runs on it and I had to buy a ecs and servo because of the junk servo.

You live in the states so you might have better luck sending in for a replacement, I just bought a xl5 ecs to replace the xl2.5 because its strong enough to handle a future servo failure.

RC Racer
    so the xl-5 would just be a plug in thing? and it sounds much better!!! thanks for all the help

by "plug in thing" i mean there would be no mods needed
    Last edited by warcara; 02-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.

RC Racer
    Yup just plugs in, it won't slide into the chassis like the 2.5 so you can either use a zip tie or two sided tape or Velcro, some make a plate that slides in to the chassis an glue it to that, it fits perfect otherwise, I'll post a pic when I get home in a bit

Edit:

I used a two sided tape at first but then switched to a zip tie for easier removal.

If I would have know anything about R/C's at the time I would have just upgraded to a brushless setup, thats what I ended up doing anyway.

here's what it looks like now, I'm on the hunt for a better servo, just trying to decide what to get.

Last edited by CHKMATE ELUDER; 02-17-2013 at 09:50 PM.