Thread: servo?

RC Qualifier

servo?

ok so my servo is stripping out on my summit jr and I know of the bb390 and the hitec5085 but money a little tight at the moment so anyone know about the solar servos on hobbypartz?
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    I respect your need to save money, but I'm all behind Hitec or similar quality servos (wish I had a used one to sell you). Buy cheap, buy twice.

Some of the other guys might disagree...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    advice taken Zippo cleared it with the woman of the house ordered a hitec 5085 servo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    cleared it with the woman of the house ordered a hitec 5085 servo
    Glad to hear it. On the one hand, you might have saved a few bucks and gotten lucky with a cheaper servo; on the other, you got a proven commodity in the 5085, with great Hitec customer service. You probably will never need it. In my 14 years of RC hobbies, I have never had a Hitec go bad, or even had one break (and I have obliterated a LOT of planes -- believe me ).
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    Lol will I don't plan on flying my summit Jr ...well not any time soon lol

RC Racer
    the 5085 fits better so I hear than the 5086 water proof one, how does a guy go about water proofing the 5085? I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to go for, also do you need a different servo horn? I have to order two of them and I'm getting tired of changing gears in the trucks every second time they are ran, only a matter of time before they go up in smoke too.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so I sent traxxas an email letting them know of my problem and that I have had this only about a week and read that everyone seems to have this issue with them and what can I do about it. The reply from traxxas support I got was this:

"I am unaware that everyone has had to replace the servo. Unless you believe everything you read on the internet this is an obvious case of internet exaggeration.

I am sending a replacement servo to help get you going again. The servo gears provide an extreme amount of reduction so the little servo motor can turn or move much larger objects. Applying force from the wrong direction (Turning the steering servo by turning the front wheels) can easily damage the servo gears. This is especially true for micro servos like the 2080. Many people test their servos like this and do not realize that they just caused the failure they were checking for. This link shows how to rebuild a stripped servo. http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...GearINST_0.pdf

Set the steering end points on your transmitter so that the servo does not quite go to full lock in either direction. Also make sure nothing is binding in the steering linkage and causing unnecessary resistance for the servo.

Best regards,
    Steve Lindholm
    Traxxas Customer Service"

hope this link helps someone else out that is experiencing the same issue, and I love their customer support even if I'm an idiot for believing what I have read on here lol
    Last edited by Timber211; 02-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I would sell the one they are sending, because you will not need it. I have the 5085 for awhile with no problems. As for water proof, you can rtv the seam, and grease the output. You will have to use a horn that comes with the servo. Unless you submarine the truck you should be ok.

sent from my not so smart, smart phone
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    lol yep its going in my spare box just in case for some odd reason I need it to hold me over till a shipment arrives ...

RC poster
    i wnt threw 3 servos in 2 months... i admit i do jump and bash hard but nothing unreasonable for its scale