Bad Battery After 12 Uses?

Hey guys, As most of you know, I just got a Traxxas Summit 1/10 with the nimh batterys for christmas, and I love it. When I got it, I bought 2 extra Traxxas 3000mah 8.4 volt 7 cell nimh battery to extend my run time, and a Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6amp charger to charge them. (Great charger by the way) So for, every thing has been great, untill the last couple of runs. I notcied that the lights started to fliker on and off, and it had low power. But when I put in the other 2 batterys in it that I have, the problem went away. I checked the voltage on the packs, and one of the battery's voltage was VERY low, and it was at 6 volts. I charged it back up at 1.5 volts, and it finshed in 15 minutes. When I tried using it in my Slash, it only had good power for about 3 min before dying. I checked all of the of cell's temputure, and all of them were cold, execpt one was too hot to touch, meaning it's a bad cell. All of the other 3 batterys are fine, it's just this one battery that is bad. I'm not sure why the battery went bad so quick, I've only used my Summit 12 times, and I always let the battery cool after, and before using them. I only charge them at 3.0 amps, so I'm not over charging them. Could this battery be defective? Is there anyway to save/revive the battery? I'm really disapointed that it went bad SO quick. I already emailed Traxxas, but they said I need to send in the battery to them so they can "test" it to make sure it really is bad. I plan on going lipo next month, so don't bring lipos up please.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-06-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    What's the end voltage after charging?
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    They're bad batteries after zero uses just joking

Nimh batteries should be left to cool or warm up after charging, using, and storing.. and stored fully charged in a cold area like a fridge, in a sealable baggy.

I got the most life from nimhs that way when I had them. Lipo is premo and I'd never go back, you should get Lipos next SPC baby
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    ...Is there anyway to save/revive the battery?...
    There is not other than replacing the cell, not a cost-effective action.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

What's the end voltage after charging?
    It always "finishes" at 10.15 volts, but the second I un-plug it, then plug it back in it's down to 8.40 volts. I know for sure it's bad.

RC Racer
    Ya sounds like a bad one... I got a bum traxxas 2s 7600 mah lipo the other week, it was replaced free of charge ::thumbsup:: got real lucky and LHS exchanged it and said theyd call traxxas about it, but they said traxxas usually just replaces them no matter what if they go bad.
    If you can go lipo... Do it!! Love mine, cant believe i ever drove my summit w/o them, its like a new truck!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I would try calling Traxxas. They stand behind their products... they just might replace it for free.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I revived an old 5000mah 8.4 hump pack ( it was a venom pack if I remember right.) anyway.
    This may not me safe so I'm not saying to do it !! Just telling my experience.

I have a 25watt fog light from an old car, I wired a Traxxas connector to it. Hooked up the bad battery and let er drain till the light went out completely.. Then charged at 2 amp till it was full.. It took about 1400mah. I then drained again with the light. Recharged and got about 2200mah next time.. Did this over and over untill I got 5600mah into the battery.
    It's worked awesome in my buddies kids rustler ever since. Takes 5000mah +\- everytime.

I got the idea from the local fella who charges to restore cordless drill batteries with a " special ". Blend of charges and discharges on his " fancy" charger.. I think i figured out his secret.. He says it doesn't work every time, and you have to be super carefull.
    I did this out in the garage in the middle of the concrete floor using a lipo charge bag.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

Form charging... just don't do it to a LiPo! lol

There is a huge difference between "reviving" a battery and continuing to overstress a pack with ONE obvious bad cell. In the case of the OP, your method would not work very well and has a better chance of causing catastrophe than any normal use of the LiPos that he and others in his family are very concerned about.

RC Champion
    Your right.. Mine did Not have a dead cell.. It was just a old abused pack with some sort of memory from short runs and charges I figure..

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Racer
    Wolf,

Before I switched over to Lipo's, I had a stock battery that had a cell split open on me without many uses. I gave Traxxas a call and they sent me a new one. I'm pretty sure they would do the same in your case.
    Summit TQi w/ Dewalt 14.4v, MERV

Ok, good news guys. I called Traxxas, and they said if I sent them a picture of the battery, and the receipt (I can't believe my luck, I still had it) that they would send me a new one. I love Traxxas customer support!!!

Ok, silly question... If I still use the bad battery, could it hurt anything? Like the other good battery? I know it might futher damage the bad battery, but I'm getting a free one so it doesn't matter. All my friend's 1/16's are using 4 batteries, so I'd like to keep up with their run time untill the new battery comes. Thanks guys!

Explosion, battery acid everywhere, could take out ESC.

They do burn too.

RC Qualifier
    The NiMH are dangerous as the LiPOs so i don't suggest run a battery with a bad cell...Maybe it can kill the ESC or the other battery too, Because of the high internal resistance or It can explode...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL