Thread: gearing

RC Enthusiast

gearing

hi all i have a few qwestioins about the new slash i just bought. my slash is stock and still has the 12t motor.
    ok my car has the stock gears in it and it runs ok to me but it came with a diff set of gears it came with a 23 pinion and an 86tooth big gear. if i instal the diff gears will i notice a change in the car? i have no idea what the stock gears are.i run in the drit grass and pavement.if i install the new gears will i still be able run in the grass and dirt or will it be strickly street after the change?i read somewere that the other gears it came with are the stock gears for the 4x4s and if so couldnt i run the same gears as the 4x4 with no problems? i really dont wanto change anything untill i know what im doing so any help would be nice thanks.

RC Competitor
    The bigger the pinion gear, the higher topspeed you get. This will come with a decreased accelleration and a hotter motor. running on grass and dirt a small pinion wil give the least motor problems. When you install the smaller spurgear things will go the same way but less drastic. Just play with different spur and pinion combinations until you get what you want, but keep checking motortemps.
    Slash 2WD lcg Chuckworks & 4WD lcg Traxxas
    Summit

RC Enthusiast
    well with the diff gearing will it still run good on the grass and dirt?

RC Competitor

I don't think it will run good on grass and dirt with the big pinion becaused the motor isn't strong enough.
    Slash 2WD lcg Chuckworks & 4WD lcg Traxxas
    Summit

RC Enthusiast
    ok well i did some figureing and i came up with 4 diff gear combos for my car, stock is 12.89 then i have a 10.17 setup and a 10.64 set up and a 12.31 set up. so i guess the 10.17 is for street only right? the smaller the number the fast it will go but only on the street, and the larger the # the more power it has right? so what is A GOOD all around combo for speed and power?

RC Qualifier
    23/86 is stock for VXL, not brushed. I had 19/90 on my brushed at first. I went to the VXL and kept stock gearing (23/86)until I kept stripping spur gears. I went to the 32p gearing and haven't had an issue since.

The stock vxl is brush less, if you were striping gears,you weren't adjusting them right,32p are stronger,but if your not adjusting them right either you'll be destroying them soon,Let me guess,your running a 3s lipo?
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrsilv15 View Post
    23/86 is stock for VXL, not brushed. I had 19/90 on my brushed at first. I went to the VXL and kept stock gearing (23/86)until I kept stripping spur gears. I went to the 32p gearing and haven't had an issue since.
    The extra 23=86 gearing is for street only!If you want your titan to last a while break it in in a class of water,and oil the front and rear bushings every chance you get,if you run the optional 23-86 gearing any where but the street,you'll be lucky to run a battery pack thru it before its toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamanderson View Post
    hi all i have a few qwestioins about the new slash i just bought. my slash is stock and still has the 12t motor.
    ok my car has the stock gears in it and it runs ok to me but it came with a diff set of gears it came with a 23 pinion and an 86tooth big gear. if i instal the diff gears will i notice a change in the car? i have no idea what the stock gears are.i run in the drit grass and pavement.if i install the new gears will i still be able run in the grass and dirt or will it be strickly street after the change?i read somewere that the other gears it came with are the stock gears for the 4x4s and if so couldnt i run the same gears as the 4x4 with no problems? i really dont wanto change anything untill i know what im doing so any help would be nice thanks.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-06-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: post merge
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    For dirt and grass I recommend buying a 16t pinion, it will decrease your top speed by 5-7 mph, however the amount of torque gained is insane. If you are like me and are running this in a small-medium backyard and on my local street this gearing works great because with the 23/86 gearing you wont be able to reach a top speed in the grass. If you have a bigger area and are just looking for a tad bit more of top speed go with the 19/86 gearing it will be more strain on the motor but it will give you the speed you want.

That about sums it up for the titan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash BOSS View Post
    For dirt and grass I recommend buying a 16t pinion, it will decrease your top speed by 5-7 mph, however the amount of torque gained is insane. If you are like me and are running this in a small-medium backyard and on my local street this gearing works great because with the 23/86 gearing you wont be able to reach a top speed in the grass. If you have a bigger area and are just looking for a tad bit more of top speed go with the 19/86 gearing it will be more strain on the motor but it will give you the speed you want.

RC Enthusiast
    ok ill buy the 16 tooth pinion but what about the spurr gear wich on should i run ?

If you want to keep the titan,run the 90 tooth,it wont be as fast,but will take a lot of presser off the motor, Grass is hard on an rc there's a lot of resistance there.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamanderson View Post
    ok ill buy the 16 tooth pinion but what about the spurr gear wich on should i run ?