RC Competitor

Summit : the brushless way

Hi guys!
    Never owned a traxxas before but been looking quite frankly for a long time at the traxxas summit. I have owned recently a Thnuder Tiger MT4. It's an awesome basher for those of you you who know it. Anyway I am planning to purchase the Summit and on throwing it a brushless combo : the Hobbywing 150A with the 2200kv brushed motor.
    For those of you how have made this kit brushless what are your recommendations ? Gearing, tires ...
    Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    erevo gearing, erevo tires, erevo body....guess it just depends on what you want to do with it.

also, try the search button, i searched 'hobbywing' in the summit forum and 3 pages of threads came up in 1.28 seconds.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    My suggestion to everyone that has not driven a Summit yet: Drive it first... you might just change your mind!

The Summit has issues handling brushless power. It takes a lot of self control and you will not be able to use your lockable diffs as much compared to if you kept it stock. Stock tires are limited to about 25-30mph, after that they are about useless they are so soft. Stock Summit gearing is up to the task of handling brushless power... the real weak spot has been mentioned -in the diffs.

I suggest to keep the MT4 (or sell it to me lol) for speed and set the Summit up to conquer everything else.

Oh, and WELCOME to the forums!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Jimmie is right, I have a Summit and a BL Erevo. The Summit isnt meant for speed, its meant for extreme 4x4ing. What I mean is, slow going 4x4ing. If you want a fast 4x4 basher, look at something like the Erevo, Emaxx, or even a Stampede VXL 4x4. I bought my Summit because I thought I would pit a BL system in it, but its center of gravity is too high, tires balloon BADLY at high speeds, and the lockable diffs will not handle BL power. Learn from my mistake and buy a different truck for BL speeds.

Just my $0.02.
    Slash MT
    CC 2400kv
    MM2
    1/10 Summit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    He already has the brushless truck for speed... the MT4 is no slouch!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I put the same brushless combo in my summit. I changed the wheels/tires then I ran it for a couple of months with no problems. However it was to wobbly and unstable at speed. I bought an erevo and put the brushless in it and did a Dewalt upgrade to the summit.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Where and how you drive will be the factors on your set up. Brushless Summits work great off road. They are however squirrely on pavement. If you want to go fast off road, just lower them and steer with not only the steering wheel but the throttle trigger as well.

Tires: Depends on the driving conditions. Thick brush, golf course, soccer field, sandy beach, mud, big/small gravel, rocks, large rocks or "rock crawling"... What are your estimated driving conditions?

Gearing: Stock gearing with that motor, you will have more than enough acceleration. I'm guessing top speed when tuned, will be about 35 MPH. With a 20t pinion, I'm guessing about 40-50 MPH. There are many factors to top speed as well, for instance, unbalanced wheels will slow you down greatly. When going full speed, most untaped tires will balloon and increase the gearing.

etc...: There are three settings for the ride hight, LCM94. For going fast, lower is better.

Revos can fit sway bars but the 2 speed transmission in the Summit, is in the way of where the sway bars go.

Canyons are great tires, until you go fast. Wheels for going fast, should be taped and on beadlock rims. You flip the tires inside out, put gorilla tape on the tread area, flip em back, insert foam, insert rim, and screw on beadlock rings. It's pretty easy if you have a ratcheting screwdriver hex tool and not just the little metal wrench.

Too much torque: If you have too much torque, you need to loosen the clutch up a bit. If your clutch is too tight, 100% of your torque will be applied and break a driveshaft or axle.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Competitor
    Ok I know there a ton on thread around the brushless summit. I ran it this weekend, love it
    Can't stand though how the Evx2 behaves, not smooth at all imo ...

Plenty of run time and very cheap.
    I also tied on a 18t pinion, better speed but can't tell if the motor will like it very long lol.

check out the vid, I'm driving the truck here from my friend who has setup the Summit with the combo Hobbywing 120A waterproof ESC & 2000kv motor. When the image is upside down I'm filming, he's driving

Anyway, I've seen that Castle has stopped producing the 1800kv 1512 motor.
    I think it would be better for the summit than the 2200kv. It would allow more gearing options. What's your opinion on this option ? There are still ways to get the 1800kv motor. The idea would be to add their new ESC waterproof with it.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-22-2013 at 11:20 PM.

RC Champion
    Tekin sells a 1700kv motor - even more torque and gearing options (not to mention sensored capability, if you are so inclined).
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    after watching that video and all those vertical jumps, Is it just me or was anyone else waiting for him to land a backflip?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    too heavy I guess ... and did not want to break his truck

Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    after watching that video and all those vertical jumps, Is it just me or was anyone else waiting for him to land a backflip?
    I was lol I have done a few one I even meant to do......lol
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    hi
    What are you MMM esc settings to run smoothly the Summit (4s) ?
    What are your gearing combinations ?
    thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LCM94 View Post
    hi
    What are you MMM esc settings to run smoothly the Summit (4s) ?
    What are your gearing combinations ?
    thanks!
    Yessssssssssssss laurent please don't break my car when you use it !
    My summit is ready to run if you want but I think you work, I'm free on Tuesday to run with valentin.