RC Qualifier

Question HIgh Speed Off Road Tire Question

I've had to go back to my 2.8 Trenchers while I'm waiting for my keyed 17MM hexes to come from MIP as I just added their new front axle. While I love the traction and handling they give on dirt, on 3S Lipo and 13/54gearing, they balloon to less than half their width. These don't have any duct tape inside them.
    The 3.2 tires I've got on my Revolvers aren't available anymore. Too bad as they're really tough and don't balloon.
    My question is, if I buy a set of 2.8 Trenchers and stretch them onto the 3.2 wheels, will the sidewall reduction that results cause them to balloon less, or should I tape them inside?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You should tape them, they work good on any surface. I ran them taped on 3s, 4s with no issues. They seem to last forever.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    You wont be reducing any sidewall by stretching them onto 3.2's, all the sidewall will still be there but will just bulge out more and can be difficult to mount straight. On some 3.2 wheels, stretching the 2.8 tires can also cause the center of the tread to dip down causing a concave tread shape. This will cause less traction and uneven tread wear at lower speeds. The only way to truly reduce the sidewall is to remove it by trimming the beads to fit the 3.2" wheels without stretching them. The Trenchers are a soft compound tire and imo should always be taped if they are to be used at higher speeds. I use 2 sided all weather carpet tape to tape all my tires. Ive done quite a few sets of smaller sized tires trimmed to fit 3.2" wheels and i love the added steering response and stability from the lower profile sidewall.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    What's your method to trim them so evenly Baldy? Those do look great!

RC Qualifier
    Is that cool El Camino a Parma body Baldy?

Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    What's your method to trim them so evenly Baldy? Those do look great!
    Thanks. First I measure the exact diameter of the wheel (bottom surface of the bead channel) then I put an excessive amount of marks all the way around the tire that are all the same distance from the bead that's required. Then I just trace from mark to mark to make the circle and I cut carefully using very sharp scissors. The cut doesn't have to be super precise, it just can't have any jagged edges. Then I.install the foam and mount the tire on the wheel and give the tire a test spin on the front axle of the truck to make sure its ok before I glue. I had practiced this a few times on old worn tires before I tried it on brand new tires, but it still took some self convincing before I could bring myself to trim new ones. Now that I have the method down I got no problem cutting up some new tires.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Is that cool El Camino a Parma body Baldy?
    The el camino body is made by HPI..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    The el camino body is made by HPI..

It's sweet. Did it take many mods to make it work on your pede? Thanks for the trimming tips too.

It's sweet. Did it take many mods to make it work on your pede? Thanks for the trimming tips too.
    Thats my HR P2de XL, its chassis is extended 2.3". The camino body is a maxx/savage sized body and requires a 13" wheelbase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Qualifier
    Rob,
    Have you tried Proline's subcultures on 2.8 rulux wheels? Saw a video of those tires on youtube and noticed that they are high speed off-road tires.

Proline released trenchers in sct sizes too, i wonder if they balloon like crazy in that smaller size too?

RC Racer
    Gave a set of sct trenchers to my father in law for Xmas, they seem to be a stiffer compound then the ones I have on my stampede.

Andrew

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    Rob,
    Have you tried Proline's subcultures on 2.8 rulux wheels? Saw a video of those tires on youtube and noticed that they are high speed off-road tires.
    I saw an ad for those, although I think they may have been SCT size wheel/tires but I didn't like the way they look. Also, my Proline Desperado rims cracked rather easily like the Talons did as the circumferential portion is so thin. Been running 3.2/17 mm hex RPM Revolvers ever since for months -and not a single crack yet. They're pretty bulletproof.