RC Enthusiast

Brushed or brushless?

Ok so I'm looking at a erevo.i have a 1/16 Vxl and love it's speed but it's so small. Now which would be better to do? The brushed revo is a lot cheaper and it can always go to brushless. How good is the brushed stock. I heard they only do like 35 tops. And that's a no go for me. If I were to get a brushless, is it really worth the extra money over just a brushless system for the brushed truck? Or is there a good brushed setup to get me at least 45 and wheelies? The truck will be used for street, HARD bashing, skatepark bashing, and occasional speed runs.

RC Competitor
    The twin 550 e-revo will get a max of 35. Mine went 35.6 on Pro-match 7-cells, which are just about the best nimh batteries. I have heard the Kershaw designs twin dewalts can get you in the mid 40's range, and they will for sure wheelie the truck. And to me, for everything you listed except speed runs and street running, torque is more fun then top end. Sure, the twin Dewalts won't have the torque of the Mamba, but it's definitely enough to keep you satisfied for quite awhile.

But if you have the money, the Brushless is the way to go.

RC Qualifier
    heres the thing i was just talking to a friend about.i am going to build my grandson a erevo out of my spare parts box.but i dont want to spend alot of money on a brushless system since he will no doubt be going threw puddles mudd anything he can find.what system would you recommend for him what motor/motors and esc?also can i use lipo on brushed or just nimh batteries?

RC Enthusiast
    It is impossible to regret buying a brushless revo.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    heres the thing i was just talking to a friend about.i am going to build my grandson a erevo out of my spare parts box.but i dont want to spend alot of money on a brushless system since he will no doubt be going threw puddles mudd anything he can find.what system would you recommend for him what motor/motors and esc?also can i use lipo on brushed or just nimh batteries?
    Either get the SC8 waterproof brushless with motor of your choice, or wait for the MMM2.

If you wanna stay brushed, pick up a recent model EVX with LVC, they are compatible with Lipos.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    thanks for your help.i already have 1 with the wp sc8 in it.the only problem with that system is it has no braking in reverse.so when i let him play with that one he seems (not on purpose) to like to go in reverse alot and nail the throttle thinking its the brakes and blows the rear diff (2 times) and i dont want to spend 300 or more for a system he doesn't need.i ordered the evx2 and 2 titan 775's. now i just need to figure out how to wire them up so its a twin 775.we'll use that one to blast threw puddles and what ever else he wants and it'll be pretty cheap to repair or replace.