RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Baking tires works great but smells bad.

Man, It just blows me away every time I do this. I had to swap some tires for my ERBE and my Rally and 10 minutes at 350 on a foil covered cookie pan and the tires just pull right off the rim, no damage to either the tire or rim.

The only negative is that it smells really bad and stinks up the house. Which puts some strain on my marriage but is worth it to get my wheels fixed up.

Just thought i re-affirm anyones confidence in the baking method.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    I did that one time and my wife said if I do that again she will throw me out with all my rc's. lol. I just use hot water now. Doesn't work as good but I still get to sleep in my bed. Lol

RC Racer
    What about doing it in the grill outside? Anyone try that?
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Now i want to try baking rc tires just to see what they smell like. I really dont know why
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Pitola23 View Post
    I did that one time and my wife said if I do that again she will throw me out with all my rc's. lol. I just use hot water now. Doesn't work as good but I still get to sleep in my bed. Lol
    I've been having some serious neck and back issues for the past few years, so I sleep on the recliner in my living room. Anybody needs some tires removed from rims, send them to me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Never tried the BBQ... it would probably work. Harder to regulate the temps but still, all you need is heat.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    Now i want to try baking rc tires just to see what they smell like. I really dont know why
    Oddly I feel the same.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Never tried the BBQ... it would probably work. Harder to regulate the temps but still, all you need is heat.
    My wife "fired" the toaster oven and bought a regular toaster. Now the toaster oven's in the garage with the only purpose of baking off RC tires.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet but I saved it from the scrap heap for that purpose. Hopefully it'll only stink up the garage not the house.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

I wont be trying the baking method anytime soon not till i get a garage in our new house then i might in a toaster oven as mentioned i will try it worth a shot atleast with some old tires and wheels lol though not newer incase they ruin. My wife gets a kick when i read this stuff to her saying back she will do that same i will be sleeping in the car or outside.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

I made myself a nice pot of tire soup the other night.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Man, It just blows me away every time I do this. I had to swap some tires for my ERBE and my Rally and 10 minutes at 350 on a foil covered cookie pan and the tires just pull right off the rim, no damage to either the tire or rim.

The only negative is that it smells really bad and stinks up the house. Which puts some strain on my marriage but is worth it to get my wheels fixed up.

Just thought i re-affirm anyones confidence in the baking method.
    Poor wives, the things they put up with.

Try baking the tires off at 300įF for 20 minutes. The slightly lower temperature will work just fine, but stink somewhat less.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I've been having some serious neck and back issues for the past few years, so I sleep on the recliner in my living room.
    Wow Sam! Sorry to hear that.

RC Champion
    LOL, ya they do smell bad. I did this yesterday, figured I would boil them as I have before and never had issues. Well after 15 minutes still no go, so I baked them and they came off like nothing. BUT..... The 2 tires I tried to boil, the rims are warped. So 2 of my 4 rally rims are warped. Was dying the ornage wheels black. Looks like I need to wait till some come in stock now.

Next time the wife threatens, just pull the credit card and instead of trying to remove them etc... Just order up a new set with tires/wheels. There ya go hon, now you don't have to smell it
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    I bought an old oven for ten dollars, to put in my work shop. I got it do cera coat, and dura coat on fire arms. It has been used for tire removal a few times.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

ooo man, ya it does. Its a Nasty smell. One of those where u gotta wait till the old lady goes to bed, before doing so.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

I did my last set on the grill, worked ok took a lot longer though I set them on a block of wood each so the heat didn't hit them directly, wrapping them in foil would probably work too. I just set them on the wood and closed the lid. Sadly that is all I have used my grill for in close to a year,
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've done everything but baking them off. Just a thought here; Fire up the oven around midnight, get up to temp, place tires on tin foiled cookie sheet, then place in oven for time frame. Wife wakes up and beats you for the smell. Yuck!!

One thing I hate is to be sleeping and wake up to a god aweful smell. haha I might have to try the grill idea one of these days though. At least they would come out smelling like BBQ....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I've done baking, boiling, acetone, mineral spirits....

I'll boil mine for 15 minutes take them out carefully and let them cool. My grill outside has a side burner and I use and old pot that is used for parts cleaning and other stuff as well but not for food obviously..
    When it cools the glue becomes very brittle and it pops right off...
    But get the water boiling first then immerse them fully using a long stick old spatchula or something like that.
    Taking them off when hot does not allow the glue to become brittle enough, the rubber of the tire is too soft at that temp and you can stretch the shape out, then of coarse it's hotter than heck and you can get burned...

So just let them cool... I've done tons of tires... You can check my mounting tips I posted a long time ago to help with gluing and mounting... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=Tire+Glueing
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous