RC Qualifier

Hex Driver Set - Ball Ends and Long

Anyone recommend a good set of hex drivers that have ball ends, hardened steel, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3mm, maybe even longer shafts, aluminum handles...thanks

Integy Ti-Nitride. Stay away from ball ends as there is just a small amount of metal twisting the screw and strip it.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    the ti-nitrides are probably the only good thing integy makes
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Enthusiast
    I had a 1.5 Integy tip break. I like my Axial hex drivers. I don't care to much for aluminum handles. They make my hands sweat and I can't get a good grip with them.

Many people seem to like the Integy drivers, but I had issues with mine (the tips rounded and then broke off). I got the same result when I used Team Associated tips in the Integy handles.

I ended up going with Bondhus Prohold ball drivers. They fit your requirements (save for the aluminum handles), and have a lifetime warranty. I've been using my set for roughly 5 years now--they've been great! I use them for R/C cars, bikes, automobiles, various chores around the house, etc.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    The only problem i have with the integys is that i can get a grip. When my hands slip its hard to use them. Thats why i use kobalt double drive. I love the double drive screwdrivers
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Integy Ti-Nitride. Stay away from ball ends as there is just a small amount of metal twisting the screw and strip it.
    I like my Integy set................Wait did I really just say that?

Had them for five years or more and only broke one tip. That was the 1.5mm on a stubborn pinion set screw. Haven't had a problem since though.

Ball tip drivers aren't a good idea for general use. I only have one and it's for engine mount screws on my eight scale where you can't use a standard tip because the cooling head gets in the way. I bought a Thorpe/M.I.P. driver for that. They're the best drivers I've ever used. Most precision fit and very strong. Kinda pricey if you buy them one at a time, but well worth it IMO.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I like my integy set too. It was the 3rd thing I got when I got back into RC. Truck, charger, tools. That was about 3 years ago and I broke the green tip (not sure what size that is but the handle is green). Its the most common size on any traxxas vehicle and I just used it up. But for $5 I put a new tip on it and its been fine ever since. I Broke the flat screw driving prying on some gun parts. But I dont blame the tool for that.

I do agree the handles can be hard to grip when you REALLY need to crank on them. But ive only ever had 2 or 3 instances where I couldnt grip them enough to get something apart. Actually, now that I think about it, each time it was a set of blue traxxas wheel nuts... I have beat on these tools HARD and they are still excellent.

Like Harry, I cant believe im saying this, but I think integy makes great tools.

My next set, I plan to buy in the next few days, a duratrax set with the really grippy handles. Ill try them and see if they last like my integy ones.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    having tried a few sets i can safely say the eds drivers are the best ive owned, they will more than likely be with me for years to come.

only have 2 ball end drivers, 2mm and 2.5mm, rarely use either unless im feeling lazy or its that awkward to get a regular tip in strait (shock mount screws for example). however when i need them they are well worth having.

this thread on urc is a good example of how much people like the eds drivers, pretty much turned into an "i love eds tools" thread

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122206
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Many people seem to like the Integy drivers, but I had issues with mine (the tips rounded and then broke off). I got the same result when I used Team Associated tips in the Integy handles.

I ended up going with Bondhus Prohold ball drivers. They fit your requirements (save for the aluminum handles), and have a lifetime warranty. I've been using my set for roughly 5 years now--they've been great! I use them for R/C cars, bikes, automobiles, various chores around the house, etc.
    I second that about the Bondhus... no prohold but I do have the ball driver set.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I work in a world held together almost exclusively with hex fasteners. My toolbox is riddled with bondhus and wiha drivers in various forms...but with such rave reviews I might have to buy my first integy product(s)

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko5678 View Post
    the ti-nitrides are probably the only good thing integy makes
    Not true, I have the dual fan, 2 pairs of their XHD Shafts, and a steel spur gear by them and I have had no problems with them are they are something Traxxas should have made for the Slash in the first place. There are alot of flaws on the Slash 4x4 and Integy seems to help me alot with getting better replacemnet parts for what I break.

EDIT: Didn't notice this thread was from January
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 07-21-2013 at 12:05 AM.