3800kv 4 pole 65c 2s lipo

Hi guy's,i have run some of my 65c thunder power in my vxl-3 all the time,with the velienon system with no issues,but never in my castle 3800 4 pole.
    Since the esc has a 2s max,and the lipo is 2s, 65c is still a pretty high shot to put to it
    I know the vxl has a 200a continuous and 320a burst acceptance.
    Any thoughts on the castle sct esc, on 2s 65c.
    Thanks.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Use it.
    The castle motor would swell up with under 40c

It doesn't really matter about the esc, only voltage

I run a venom 5600mah 60c 2s lipo on my 3800
    Only difference is you have the sidewinder and I have a mmp

But no issues will be made. It won't overpower your esc.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Thanks. I feel better know,but my 35c thunder power seems do push it pretty well,but,that's why I by thunder power.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Use it.
    The castle motor would swell up with under 40c

It doesn't really matter about the esc, only voltage

I run a venom 5600mah 60c 2s lipo on my 3800
    Only difference is you have the sidewinder and I have a mmp

But no issues will be made. It won't overpower your esc.

How many mah is you 35c?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    The 3800 is a amp hog, one of the biggest amp hogs I've seen! This combo is best run with a high output battery. I have had a couple low c packs swell up (like stated above) from my 3800 drawing on then to hard. Your high c pack is just what it need to run stutter and cog free.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Billy, I assume it is the sidewinder esc that came with the 3800? If that esc came with a fan, your all set. If it did not, I would get a fan for it or at least check temps often to make sure its not getting too hot.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

5400mah i get about25 minutes with it,but that's will 32p hardened steel Robision gears,on a short coarse track,the throttel more like an on off switch.with stock traxxas i can pull a 40 minute run out of it.QUOTE=kdvanb;5377896]How many mah is you 35c?[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed,fan on sct esc ,heat sink on the motor.They say the esc has a 2s max,but i have been told ,with a fan on it you can run 3s,even tho i never run 3s,unless a haven't broke something in a while.
    Then i figure the 3s will find the weak spot ,break it,so i can fix it before it's on the track.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Billy, I assume it is the sidewinder esc that came with the 3800? If that esc came with a fan, your all set. If it did not, I would get a fan for it or at least check temps often to make sure its not getting too hot.

My older sidewinder ran 3s no problem in my touring car. It was when I ran the 4600 combo in an extended overweight stampede that it got really hot(even with a fan)

That's what the car guy said as well,he sounds like he knows what he's talking about,at least everything he has told me has been right on.
    Between him and the Dr. we should be covered.
    I cant wait to tell the Dr. pl told me the 3800 was to much for their trans,and it was my fault they kept failing lol.I had to fix my grandsons circuit and it came with the exact same cheap plastic idler gear as the pro line trans.
    My older sidewinder ran 3s no problem in my touring car. It was when I ran the 4600 combo in an extended overweight stampede that it got really hot(even with a fan)

I run a 6000mah 30C SPC 2s in my SCT setup without any problems at all and that's only around 180A. I actually run those packs in my SCT Race Pro setup in my Exo.

My 4600 setup I had in my Slash would get to 180F motor temp about halfway through a 5000mah 2s with the stock plastic trans geared 16/90. I would have to stop at least once to let it cool down on a 2s. On 3s I had to stop for cool down so many times it just wasn't practical to run it. When I installed the alum trans my temps dropped enough to where I could run a full 5000mah 2s without stopping. After putting the SCT system in the Slash, my motor temps don't even get over 130F without the blower fan on geared 20/87.

Thanks,i just got my second rpm case,here in mi its hard to tell about temps now,I was just concerned the 65c reedy 2s would be to much,most of my packs are thunder power 35c.
    Are you saying you think the 65c might be to much?I am talking about the 3800 4 pole.With the fan on the esc,and a haet sink on the motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    I run a 6000mah 30C SPC 2s in my SCT setup without any problems at all and that's only around 180A. I actually run those packs in my SCT Race Pro setup in my Exo.

My 4600 setup I had in my Slash would get to 180F motor temp about halfway through a 5000mah 2s with the stock plastic trans geared 16/90. I would have to stop at least once to let it cool down on a 2s. On 3s I had to stop for cool down so many times it just wasn't practical to run it. When I installed the alum trans my temps dropped enough to where I could run a full 5000mah 2s without stopping. After putting the SCT system in the Slash, my motor temps don't even get over 130F without the blower fan on geared 20/87.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-05-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post

Was that 4600 a 2 pole? The 2 pole 4600 ran much hotter than my current 4 ploe 4600. About 30 hotter for the same gearing on 2s... I am confident in running in hot weather with the 4 pole as long as I gear correctly. There was no way to gear low enough on really hot days with pede size tires with the 2 pole. The 4 pole can run at 150 for a full pack on a 95 day with 12/58 gearing. The 2 pole would hit over 170 in 5 min...

Oh, both trucks used a full alum HR gearbox.

RC Qualifier
    You cannot overpower the esc with too many amps, just volts, more amps = more amps available, the esc will only draw what it needs it can however over draw a battery with not enough amps, the more the amps the better, you should see this with the different c ratings you have, the higher c batteries should give more punch off the line. In the end it all boils down to you can't have too many amps, so a 5000 65c battery should be great if the specs are true.

Sent from my iPhone 5

I'm told reedy is one of,if not the best lipos out there.For $120 for one 2s 65c, it better have the true specs,that's why i pay the high dollar.
    I could buy four spc's for that,but i like big trophies.
    Not knocking spc,so please don't jump down my back.

Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    You cannot overpower the esc with too may amps, just volts, more amps = more amps available, the esc will only draw what it needs it can however over draw a battery with not enough amps, the more the amps the better, you should see this with the different c ratings you have, the higher c batteries should give more punch off the line. In the end it all boils down to you can't have too many amps, so a 5000 65c battery should be great if the specs are true.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    ...it better have the true specs,that's why i pay the high dollar.
    I could buy four spc's for that,but i like big trophies...
    Not jumping down your back, but what 65c spc pack could you get
    4 for 120$??? Just wondering? I wantem'

If the specs are true, 65c continuous is 65c continuous. You can pay 120 or 60 for it, but if the specs are accurate, why pay more?

With your 35c lipo it will give just under 200amps
    So it will work

Billy I payed 90 dollars for my venom 60c 5600mah 2s lipo
    It's great

Was that 4600 a 2 pole? The 2 pole 4600 ran much hotter than my current 4 ploe 4600. About 30 hotter for the same gearing on 2s... I am confident in running in hot weather with the 4 pole as long as I gear correctly. There was no way to gear low enough on really hot days with pede size tires with the 2 pole. The 4 pole can run at 150 for a full pack on a 95 day with 12/58 gearing. The 2 pole would hit over 170 in 5 min...
    Yep. Mine is the older 2 pole motor. I wish Castle had a trade up program like Traxxas does. I would have traded in all my older Castle stuff for a discount on their newer items.

I know you get what you pay for,everyone wants spc,i looked at them $27 bucks not bad,But my trucks only see the track,I want,and will pay for the best.I am not saying spc is not a good battery.
    But I'm looking into a lipo called Reedy,its $120 bucks for a 2s 65c rating,I have a few 35c thunder power 5400mah That i have seen walk over much higher rated battery's,of a lower price.I don't bash or play around,my playing,would be considered practice at the track.
    Again spc is a fine battery even on the track,in fact some new racers run them,and at times win with them.
    However 8 times out of ten,you will see the number one truck,is using a top of the line battery,one that will deliver the same punch from the first time you hit the throttle,till the esc shuts it down.
    It's no different than anything you buy,you get what you pay for in the long run.

And i wont buy over the net.QUOTE=kdvanb;5378320]Billy I payed 90 dollars for my venom 60c 5600mah 2s lipo
    It's great[/QUOTE]

E
    Wait are you saying you won't by venom on the Internet ?
    Because you can buy them at lhs's..

Sorry rag6,i meant i could buy four spc's for the $120 it will cost for the one 65c reedy,I really don't even know if spc makes a 65c 2s.
    Everything i have heard about spc,has been positive.The only negative,if you can call it that for the price,that i have heard,and seen at the track,Is a larger than normal power drop before lv shut down,that could could cost you the race.
    But for having fun,out bashing with the boys,who cares,Id buy the spc too.and this Reedy thing,i just started looking into to day,don't own one yet.
    But when you see the big boys holding there trophy and trucks,you'll find thunder power or Reedy powered it to the winning circle.
    Not jumping down your back, but what 65c spc pack could you get
    4 for 120$??? Just wondering? I wantem'

No no I just am old school,i wont by anything over the net,um a hands on kinda guy,plus if we buy every thing off the net our lhs might go out of business.In fact i bought a 2s 30c venom from my lhs.
    Have you heard anything about the burst rate of the venom packs from the red to green hard packs?
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    E
    Wait are you saying you won't by venom on the Internet ?
    Because you can buy them at lhs's..

No
    I haven't but really they only have 2 green packs and there like 35c and under
    They do have a 70c lipo though
    I bought my venom a duratrax plug for battery's that had a trx connector on it.
    I use that for driving and the one that came with it for charging

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    ...$120 it will cost for the one 65c reedy,I really don't even know if spc makes a 65c 2s.
    Everything i have heard about spc,has been positive.The only negative,if you can call it that for the price,that i have heard,and seen at the track,Is a larger than normal power drop before lv shut down,that could could cost you the race.
    But for having fun,out bashing with the boys,who cares,Id buy the spc too.and this Reedy thing,i just started looking into to day,don't own one yet.
    But when you see the big boys holding there trophy and trucks,you'll find thunder power or Reedy powered it to the winning circle.
    You are so funny.
    Did you know that Reedy now buys the same packs and from the same factory as the the named supplier has done for several years? Did you know the higher C numbers on those Reedy packs are nothing special?
    Last edited by Jakey; 01-05-2013 at 08:38 PM.

No i just know what um learning,witch is why i haven't bought one yet,In fact the case looked like a venom.
    But what um seeing is reedy in the winning circle a lot.
    And not at Joe blows down the road,but the pro circuit,were they win money. I'm just learning and researching.
    I do know for fact,any of my 35c thunder powers 2s,Has kicked butt on any 40c 2s i have put them against,both in power and run time,both 5400mah,I've worked places where they make the same product all day,half go into a pretty colored box,and sell for twice of what the others,packed in a plain box do,I'm not ignorant just want the best,And i know the most expensive,is not always the best.I also have thunder power packs,with just as high of a c rating.
    But I appreciate your in put,and welcome any more advice you can give me.
    Like who is the same factory supplier,if you could please.
    Thank you again.
    ps sorry i for got you cant say the name on the post,but i think i know who you me.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    You are so funny.
    Did you know that Reedy now buys the same packs and from the same factory as the the named supplier has done for several years? Did you know the higher C numbers on those Reedy packs are nothing special?
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-06-2013 at 11:49 AM.