RC poster

Red face QR-1 broken in 5 days... *sniff*

I'm actually surprised it lasted this long with my n00b QR flying skills. It did a 15 foot drop straight into a trash can after slamming into a wall at 10+mph and survived no problem. But what killed it I think was an upside down landing...as it appears to have been the cause of the back-right motor coming apart (see picture). What was interesting was the shaft would move up and down (upper-left in pic) and it would still spin with power, but when I pushed the motor out, the bottom just came off. I tried pushing it back on but it was hopeless. This thing can really take a beating, but it obviously has it's limits. Bring on the parts!!!!!

Pic (it's big so didn't post it in-line):
    http://i.imgur.com/GbhiI.jpg

RC Competitor
    Sound like a pretty crazy crash.... Because you said it was going about 10+MPH Did you have it in Expert mode?

Looks like when it landed upside down the rotor got slammed, when that happens the shaft got pushed into the "can" of the motor and it continued on pushing the back off the can...

Call Traxxas and see why they are the best service you will get in the RC mfr'g industry.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    @BitStop, yeah it was in expert mode. I was flying around in a warehouse going pretty fast. But oddly enough I'm not sure that trash can incident was what broke it. I think it was just an out-of-control decent later on, like what happens when it fails to level off after an abrupt reversal, and it landed on it's head (props down). But I'm not sure as the motor was working (albeit with a loose shaft) until I popped it out of the machine.

@Nitronaught, I really haven't needed to call Traxxas yet, the thing has been flying great...it's the pilot that's the issue.

RC Competitor
    @BlueBee I think your right... I have been flying for a few years with other units. I have had my QR-1 now for about 2 weeks and I haven't put it into expert mode yet. I want to make sure I have full control over it and can land it on my hand before i go jumping to expert mode. The Expert mode is not something someone with as you called it "n00b QR flying skills" should attempt.

Anyway lesson learned the hard way I guess.... Hopefully you get it fixed and back in the air soon.

Just my experience but I actually think the QR-1 is easier to fly in expert mode. My thinking here is if you get into some sort of trouble as in too close to a wall or object you can maneuver away from it much easier and faster in expert mode as the QR-1 just reacts so much quicker to your inputs.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm thinking something similar with Dad. I found (I learned this from the manual and another user here) that changing the "stock" settings from 45 up to around 55. This allowed me to get better control of the bird without switching into the potentially dangerous and bird wrecking expert mode. I tried it on 60 but felt I had more control around the 55 mark all the way around. I'm surprised, I'm really starting to get a hang of it and actually feel confident while flying it

There's just 3 things you need to do to master these buggers...
    1. Practice
    2. Practice
    3. Practice

I think for some Dad's idea woks for, I was a bit different. I started in a very uncluttered indoor garage with a high ceiling, started doing things in small SLOW steps and graduated up to something else...

I don't crash as near as much as when I first started...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    the QR-1 is easier to fly in expert mode
    I wouldn't say easier...just more responsive...to both the actions you intentionally take and unfortunately, also to the ones you unintentionally make.

RC Competitor
    In is not the number of times you crash, it is how hard you crash that will do damage. The QR-1 can be dropped from 3 feet 100 times and will likely do no damage.

In expert mode you can hit something at 17 MPH... you can't do that when your not in expert mode. If you do hit something when your not in expert mode you will be moving much slower and the energy at half the speed is 4X less so the impact will do much less damage when not in expert mode. So in the end the odds of major damage is much lower when not in expert mode.

I've flown a few quads now, different makes...

If you crash upside down,,,, those engines take a hit..
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous