RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar

Another use for Series 1 NiMh??

While walking thru WalMart one evening before Christmas with my Daughter in the cart, she spotted and fell in love with a NewBright Ford Raptor... kisses and all. She, in her own way, (cannot talk yet) asked if she could hold on to it; which is not out of the ordinary as we usually let her hold and play with certain toys while we are in the store. She is even pretty good at putting them back when it is time to go... not bad for a 3 year old. Anyway, while putting it back she smiled and signed "please"... how am I supposed to resist? The $50 price tag! lol But, on our next trip we found a smaller, more living room friendly Mustang for $10... much more affordable for a toy grade RC.

Since Christmas, she has gone through 25-30 AA batteries...

I started looking for a rechargeable pack that would be about the same voltage or less and that would fit in the 5 AA compartment with a little Dremel work. I found a few 2S LiFe but they had smaller capacities than the AA's. So, I tore the car down to see what would fit under the body yet over the chassis... turns out that a 5,000mAh 2S LiPo hard case I have almost fit there is so much room! Within millimeters!! But, I do not want to mess with LVA's and such on my Daughters inside RC... so I started thinking and the Series 1 NiMh that came with my 16th Revo and 16th Boss will work perfect! What else am I going to use them for?... I have gone LiPo with my 16ths.

So far, my only concern is the extra cells worth of voltage...

I will find a way to mount either one or two Series 1's above the chassis tonight (only to be used one at a time) and solder up a connector on the NewBright Mustang. The connections will be in the 5 AA compartment.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Very good Idea i might Steal this!!!

Well, I guess it isn't happening tonight... my NiMh will be holding down papers for a while longer.

RC Qualifier
    Awwww man at least u tried

It'll happen, just not tonight.

RC Qualifier
    Looking forward to the end results Jimmie
    I had this really cheap off brand rc and on the 3rd set of AA's the gears all striped so it's kinda toast
    My son had an airhog lighting McQueen and it did the same thing with the gears so this one is used like a big hotwheel

RC Enthusiast
    Subscribed to this post. My daughter has a new bright buggy. Let us know how it turned out. May use it on hers. I have like 4 laying around.

Drum roll please....

Finally!! Here you go:

Tools needed:

4 of the 5 screws:

the 5th is shown later and is the only one that is different.

Pop the battery springs:

Carve a large enough hole for the connector to go through:

Cut to snap the dividers off for clearance:

Board soldered up with wires for a connector:

Board cover clearanced for wires to exit:

Velcro placed to hold battery:

This is where the one oddball screw is too.

Connectors in battery compartment:

The entire board/battery compartment slides out when this screw is removed.

Perform this modification at your own risk!!

I did a little testing and it seems to work fine... might be a little faster, but it is hard to tell as I went from another set of nearly dead AA's to 6 cell NiMh. lol

I did this same exact thing way back when a messed with toy grade rc's. I still have a radio shack car in the closet which still works good with twin motors. It came with a 9.6v and I hooked up a lipo 2s to it and man did that thing take off a lot faster than the 9.6v. Back then I would hook up a 9.6v to a 7.2v car and the motor lasted just fine for months of everyday hour after hour of use.
    Nice mods and idea you have there Jimmie.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

The only reason I thought of it was due to the fact that AA's were getting expensive!

I will probably be opening it up again. She has ripped so much of the antenna off that it is glitchy at 5 foot. lol

Ooh yes they are like that but great idea with the series 1 battery. What connector are you using? I know its white but doesn't look like I know that one.
    I started using AA rechargeables for mine a little less voltage but more run time I had.
    Ooh yeah another was check out Costco AA they have Duracell and their brand that work good and come in large packs and they have coupons.
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 01-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.

I thought about rechargeables... but since I have the series 1 on hand it was a "ah-ha" moment.

The connector is yellow... bad lighting.
    XT60... my MERV LiPo's came with them so I switched the stockers and the ESC over.

RC Champion
    so how well does it work?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

"I did a little testing and it seems to work fine... might be a little faster, but it is hard to tell as I went from another set of nearly dead AA's to 6 cell NiMh. lol"

From post 8

I see I have like 20 rechargeable AA's some for tx's and some just sitting now. it was running 5 cell right? If its running 6 cell then its a slight bit faster.

RC Competitor
    I can see this ending badly..."so I switched the receiver out for a Traxxas box with a spare transmitter...then the tires started wearing out quickly, so I switched those out for the ones off of the Boss...then the plastic gears shattered, so I popped in a VXL gearbox I had lying around..."
    Duh-duh-DUH-duh-DUH-duh...

Integrated circuit for the radio... already looked into converting it to a pistol grip with two controllers. Too much work/time for me.

RC Qualifier
    anyone try this on your transmitter rather then putting AA's in them ?

No room...
    Unless you remove the battery tray, find another way to mount the circuit board and solder a connector on...
    then maybe.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I did this (and a few steps further) to a New Bright. Ripped everything out. Put in an old Dynamite Tazer esc, 2018 servo, am TRX reciever, and a 6 cell Nimh pack. Made my own steering linkage and figured out a way to put an old Maxx body on that poor road car. Anyways I threw it in the car when heading for an all day bash session at my buddy's house. Towards evening, it starts raining buckets down, so we pulled all the cars out of his three bay garage and start playing with road cars. Somehow, we end up taking turns jumping this conglomerated rc car off a wooden ramp, all of us laughing each time. Somehow the car ended up in pieces by days' end......good times!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Competitor
    i was thinking of doing this but ended up yanking every thing out and throwing in an xl5 good servo and ecx transmitter with stock motor and tranny...

RC Competitor
    the diff lasted 5 mins lol

RC Racer
    I have an old xl5 from before brushless nad the stock batt from a pede...maybe