RC Racer

Cool Slayer 3.3 to E-Slayer

Hi,
    I wanted to jump on this bandwagon too. I have seen all the threads about this conversion and wanted to build one myself. I have a Slayer 3.3 (not Slayer Pro). I love the truck, but my 3.3 is getting worn out and since I have already done one rebuild. The motor is done for. So here is where my E-Slayer will come to life.

I started with a Summit Chassis.

Then I decided I didn't want a grey E-slayer so I got the black dye out and done this.

Last edited by Double G; 01-04-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Edit button works great. No need for multiple posts

RC Qualifier
    keep it going nice work

IMO it would be a worthwhile investment for the project to buy some Slayer Pro 4x4 A-arms and the 5939 toe links.
    That bit of extra width sure increases the handling ability.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    My Mamba Max Pro came in the mail, and the 2800kv 550 motor too. Now all I need is a transmission and I will be ready for a test drive.

Cameron: When I break my first A-arm I do plan on changing over to Slayer Pro A-arm. But for now this will get the truck up and driving.

RC Racer
    Here is the truck built. Now I just need a transmission.

RC Racer
    Update for 1-8-13

Yesterday I bought a new Summit transmission to use for my build. Now all I need is the center drive shafts and I can get this truck ready for a test drive. I have a new Mamba Max Pro I will be using with a 3674 (550) 2800kv motor. 4s lipo. High voltage Servo with 214 Oz/in with 7.4 volts and 60* in .08 also at 7.4 volts.

Castle link settings, Auto lipo with 3.2 per cell cut off, Medium start power, 0-4 timing, no torque control, 6.5 BEC.

Question, I get a 68 spur gear with the transmission I bought, what pinion should I start with?

RC Racer
    Update for 1-10-13

My transmission will be here Friday 1-11-13 and I will be able to build the truck this weekend. I can't wait to try it out. And then get it set up for my local track.

I am running mod1 gearing in mine...20/38. It has plenty of torque and is a lot of fun on dirt tracks. I am going to try mod.8 19/58 to compare the difference.

I run mod.8 19/58 in my eRevo sometimes. With the LVC a lot of us guys, myself included, set it to 3.4V per cell...it helps prolong battery life.

I you running a traxxas Rx in your truck I think it can handle a max. of 6V...I have mine set to 6V, you may want to check that.

Awesome build mate...I am sure you will have a blast with your eSlayer .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Thanks for letting me know what gear you are running. What motor are you using? I will start with a 40 spur 14 pinion, mod 1 gearing. Since I will be running a 2800kv motor. I may up my LVC to 3.4, that is a good idea. And I will not be using the Traxxas RX, I plan on using a Spektrum system with a High voltage servo. I can't wait to get the transmission and try this truck out. The only thing I will need then is the shift linkage for the 2 speed. I plan on using 1st gear for tight more technical tracks, and 2nd gear for bigger and faster tracks. I will post pic's as I finish this build, and I will post me running it as well.

RC Racer
    Well my transmission has not arrived yet. Maybe today it will come in the mail. Soon as it does I will give a post update. And if the weather is good I will post a video of the truck running.

RC Racer
    I got my Transmission yesterday.

RC Racer
    Now all I need is a rear center axle and it will be ready to drive. Here is the truck complete.

I drove the truck and got some mud on it. It was fun, but could not get a good feel for the truck cause it was FWD only. This Friday I will be getting a center rear axle. And after that I will decide what body I can use with this truck.

RC Racer
    I got the center axle I needed. I installed it, and got to drive it some. I am geared 54 spur 17 pinion 32 pitch. But I am having heat problems. I am using 2 2s battirers. I have my castle settings at

Start up power: Low
    Torque limiting: 20%
    Timing: 8

And after 10min of running the motor was at 166 with the outside temps being around 30*F Any ideas on how to keep this motor cool?

RC Qualifier
    Your motor is a little small for this application. A 4074 can would be faster and run cooler.
    It does not look like your overgeared, with a top speed of about 30 on 4s.

The easiest thing would be to add a fan (or 2) and a heat sink. Something akin to this.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXABWB&P=ML

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info. You really think a 3674 motor is to small? I will try a heat sink and fan. If that does not work I will have to get another motor.