RC Qualifier

Which is Better Fwd, Rwd , Awd

Hey guys Justed wanted too know, what do you thing is better Fwd Rwd Awd and why?????

RC Champion
    Fwd - Daily driving
    Rwd - drifting, sliding
    Awd - rally, snow, off road
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Pick your poison, it's all just different ways to get yourself into trouble if you're stupid with it.

FWD doesn't always allow for traction and in some cases won't rotate like a rwd, but does allow for better packaging within the car's body

RWD usually has better traction and can be made to rotate better without needed to use a parking brake, but can also take up interior spacing on cars, minivans, and small SUV's.

AWD should allow for superior performance in adverse conditions, but is heavier, less efficient, and more complicated that the other two, plus it can still push like a FWD and might not turn as tightly if it has CV's instead of U-Joints even if both vehicles use a form of AWD system.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Are we talking rc or full size? If its rc then awd definitely.
    Full size, probably fwd because you'll get the most traction that way since all the weight (Engine and stuff) is in the front.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Simplicity and ease of repairs, light to medium towing RWD
    Daily driver, traction, MPG's in most cases, no towing FWD.
    Adverse weather and road conditions, light to medium towing AWD but heavy and not as economical as either FWD or RWD.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Basher we are talking rc if you guys wanted to know!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im not aware of any FWD RC's unless you remove the rear driveline from a 4WD vehicle. There would be absolutely no reason to do that. In pretty much every situation it would be worse than a 2X4 (rear wheel) or a 4X4 (what your calling All Wheel).

There are other things to consider as well. If your looking at a monster truck, the diff can play a large role in what it does well and what it doesnt. It also plays a role in durability. Most 4X4 RC's come with a solid centre drive and 2, mostly open diffs at the front and rear. All traxxas 4X4 come from the factory this way. You can make HUGE changes in how the same vehicle handles, both good and bad, by simply changing the weight of the diff fluid in the front and rear diffs. You can also, in many cases, add a centre diff and tune the fluid in that as well. But you really need to know where your going to run.

Traxxas 2X4 vehicles all have non sealed rear diffs. So, you can only really "tune" them using grease and it eventually leaks out. You can get an upgraded FLM sealed diff and tune it with fluid like the bigger 4X4s but its not cheap. For most bashing situations its not necessary really. I had to have one just so I could say I did. Not because it really made my truck any better.

Generally speaking, for high traction surfaces you want MORE diff action (lighter fluid) and a vehicle will benefit more from a centre diff. For low traction surfaces youd likely want less diff action (heavier fluid) and no centre diff. For crawling you want no centre diff and the front and rear diffs pretty much locked. Like the summit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Thats Helpfull in all but what do you think is better

Quote Originally Posted by RC-nightmare View Post
    Thats Helpfull in all but what do you think is better
    Better for what?
    They all have their pro's and con's... It basically boils down to "Watcha Gonna Do With It"...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay makes sorry

RC Racer
    There are fwd Rc cars. Tamiya has made a lot of fwd touring cars over the years. It makes them handle more like their 1:1 counterpart.

For bashing I would say rwd is great unless you have a lot of loose dirt or snow to run in. Then I would pick an Awd.

For racing I prefer rwd as they turn better and require a certain finesse to drive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Thats like asking ME what food YOULL like best. No one can tell YOU whats better. YOU have to learn about each different setup, learn what they do best and what they dont do well and decide what will work best for YOU. I can tell you that I prefer 4X4 trucks and think they are better. But thats only for where and how I drive. 2X4 may be a better choice for you... I cant tell you that.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay makes sorry

RC Champion
    i like rwd. with the option to slap it in awd anytime i want. lol
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im not aware of any FWD RC's unless you remove the rear driveline from a 4WD vehicle. There would be absolutely no reason to do that. In pretty much every situation it would be worse than a 2X4 (rear wheel) or a 4X4 (what your calling All Wheel).
    Kyosho made a FWD offroad buggy many years ago. Needless to say it was horrible and wad discontinued soon after. Can't remember the name of it right now.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the Kyosho I'm thinking of, but enough to give you an idea of how worthless it is. Looks like it runs much better in reverse. Go figure! Not to mention all the dirt and rocks that are getting sprayed all over the buggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzkkbTIltA
    Last edited by harry697; 01-04-2013 at 05:34 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Kyosho made a FWD offroad buggy many years ago. Needless to say it was horrible and wad discontinued soon after. Can't remember the name of it right now.

EDIT: Here's one. Not the Kyosho I'm thinking of, but enough to give you an idea of how worthless it is. Looks like it runs much better in reverse. Go figure! Not to mention all the dirt and rocks that are getting sprayed all over the buggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzkkbTIltA
    Completely forgot about that. It was the maxxuum FF

Quote Originally Posted by vwjuice63 View Post
    Completely forgot about that. It was the maxxuum FF
    That's the one. For some reason I though it was an "ima" car since everything else seemed to be back then. Optima, Ultima. Should have called it the Maxxima to keep with tradition.

RC Racer
    If they called it a maxxima than it would probably still be in production. The only cars they ever killed off didn't have "ima" at the end. Hahaha