RC Champion

Anyone ever pay WAY too much for an RC?

I'm kicking myself almost every day for buying a new KB Fiesta from a LHS for $315. I wish I would have bought a used one for cheaper or got something used for the same price but a lot nicer. I could have gotten a MERV with castle electronics for that price. I also bought a Spartan for almost $800 from another LHS because they knew how bad I wanted it and it was the only new one within about 500 miles of here. SUCH a ripoff. I could have gotten two for that price... Or one and a bunch of lipos. Just thought I'd share my frustration and see of anyone else is as stupid as me lol.

Sent from my iPad mini
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Oh man, all the RC's I bought back when I started I WAY overpaid for. Then I put thousands into integy parts on all of them. Then I threw it all in the garbage. Hehe. Not literally.

The first 2 boats I had cost me like $1500 each and neither of them ran for more than 5 minutes. Just junk. I kept dealing with this same shop and they just kept ripping me off.

I paid full LHS prices for everything until I found tower and ebay and all the other great places to buy stuff online. I can honestly say, Ive never overpaid for a traxxas though. I found traxxas at the same time I found online shopping.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    i paid way too much for my summit when they first came out, i was home in pennsylvania and i drove two hours and bought it brand new from this guy for $100 more than what they were going for new from a local hobby shop. just because i wanted it and there was snow on the ground everyone makes bad decision, dont kick yourself too much for it, just enjoy what you got, some people are not fortunate enough to have nice rc cars/boats.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    very true surfer, i have gotten a deal on every single traxxas i ever owned except my emaxx brushless, but i am glad i got it before they made them $850 a piece, traxxas needs to offer the ones with lipo's and w/o lipo's, not everyone can afford to get all that stuff at once, even if it is discounted.
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

I paid way too much for my first gas rc plane and radio. I eventually pitched it all in the trash and got something better.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    I have paid way to much for a few rc's when I first started out, also sold some stuff for next to nothing and totally ripped myself off lol.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    I payed $275 the first day the MERV came out, I could have gotten $30 ore off from tower But I wanted it that day.
    It was my first RC and I saved all summer for it. I have never been that excited for an rc and dont think I ever will be again.
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    My first hobby grade RC was a kyosho rocky kit and was $500 in Iceland back in 87.
    3 months later I was able to afford the $300 futaba radio system for it, then a month later $150 for a charger and a battery.

I currently own 3 Revos, a stampede, zd racing truggy, and my erevo. All were bought used except the erevo, which I built myself using a few new parts and parts I had on hand.
    These trucks depreciate so fast, makes no sense to buy new.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    i myself have never paid too much for a(n) rc... the closest thing was my parents got me my first "go fast" rc (traxxas kawasaki edition slash 4x4), they paid 664 plus shipping; although i feel bad they over paid for it by about 200 dollars, i am glad they bought me it because it got me back in the hobby
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

Yeah my original slayer. full LHS retail and it was a total lemon. Spurred spending probably $1200 more that summer in replacement parts and eventual conversion to a Platinum revo. (which i decided not to buy for $70 more than the Slayer cause it was too much)
    (RAH)≤ (AH)≥ + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA)≤ + (OOH)(LA)≤

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Yep, every toy grade rc that i bought for my kid wasn't worth a tenth of what i paid for them! Sure I've overpaid for a few of our Traxxas rc's, but i still feel that i get my money's worth with the amount of fun that my son and i get out of them for such a long period of time (with the exception of the xo-1 which was an utter disappointment) In the 20+ years I've been into r/c, there has never been a time that was more rewarding than it is these days.

When I'm looking at the prices of Traxxas RTR's, i often think about the old Tamiya kits that i had to work my tail off to buy for $200-300+ and they didn't even come with a radio or any other electronics. By the time a guy built a complete rc vehicle, you'd be spending upwards of a grand. I had a 390 house paper route for 5 years and that barely kept my rcs in running order. All i ever wanted as a kid was one of the Big 4x4 Monster Truck kits i always drooled over at the lhs, but even the rich kids at school couldn't get their parents to spend that much cash. Heck, I remember buying modified 540 motors for $80-125 each and $40-50 for Pihrana 1200mah 7.2v nicad packs that ran for a whopping 6 minutes then had to be charged for 8 hours. In those days, there was very few kids that had hobby grade rc's because of the cost.

Kids these days have it pretty darn good when it comes to the prices of hobby grade rc's, and thats why us ol schoolers' are having such a great time spoiling our kids (and ourselves) with these rc's. Just ask Pave on the deals we've been getting lately at future shop. At those prices we just cant help buying in multiples! Lol Seeing my little guy having a great time with a huge smile on his face is something i would gladly overpay for any chance i get.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    So true Baldy. I tell my kid everyday how lucky he is, they just don't get it these days. I dreamed of having a sweet RC when I was a kid and dirtbike etc... My boy has a P2de decked right out, and access to all my RC fleet and can use it anytime, he has a mint condition KX 65 race ready monster GFX and all, no big deal to him. If that were me at his age, I would sleep with my dirtbike, live and breath it. Same with RC's and the 300 other cool things he has.

Yet, he still has the nerve to say sometimes something like " Jacob is so lucky he got a Ipod for Xmas ". I look at him, " you're kidding right ". Man kids are frustrating at time I tell ya, funny thing is. My parents told me all these things when I was a kid hahaha.

Meanwhile Jacob is using a Toysrus RC Car, and doesn't have a dirtbike and dreams of it, and we have 2 ipods in the house he can use anytime LOL. Kids I tell ya.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Champion
    ive way overpaid on plenty of cars and parts like a tamiya crawler i paid 250 shipped for used and sold for 50, but i also think back on some of the deals ive gotten where i paid, sometimes, nothing. a pair of 130 dollar smc packs, 40 bucks for the 2, the truggy they run in, free, mmm/2200 in that same truck, 100 for the both! radio and receiver, 199 dollars retail, bought 3 together used for 90 shipped.

some deals are good, some you get burned on, it is what it is, just enjoy the experience
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Champion
    hmmmm first rc the bigger summit i think i got it for about $900 then 2 extra batts and a battery cooker all for close to $1000

well hynd site got me well. went to that same shop for years. until one of the employ's said that they just get bulk order's in.as a reply to me ordering parts for my summit(close to 300 buck in parts) went to a diffrent shop costed a little more but got all the parts. then eventualy found a close hobby shop that could get parts and rc's in for close to wholesale price but at a weeks wait
    to get the parts and rc's in

no to bad ...we learn
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Champion
    (ME) 1997 at the hobby shop in a local mall i seen the nitro rustler. he has 378$ price tag on it with extras and stuff i did not need i spent close to 500$! after a few runs i needed parts. so i found the LHS (i race at on the weekends). i seen the Nitro rustler for 279$ i was like whooaa. the nice lady behind counter asked me whats wrong. i said OHH NOTHING. i paid 378$ for it and you have it for cheap. she said ohh you bought it from the guy at the mall? i said YES. she told me he inflates his prices to score extra profit from RC customers. i went back to the mall to him hey thanks for ripping me off. he said how?
    i said this other hobby shop has it for 279$. and the extra stuff you sold me i was told i did not need.

so after a few seconds he told me to leave or he was calling security on me.
    Last edited by GlowThunder; 01-05-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Oh man, all the RC's I bought back when I started I WAY overpaid for. Then I put thousands into integy parts on all of them. Then I threw it all in the garbage. Hehe. Not literally.

The first 2 boats I had cost me like $1500 each and neither of them ran for more than 5 minutes. Just junk. I kept dealing with this same shop and they just kept ripping me off.

I paid full LHS prices for everything until I found tower and ebay and all the other great places to buy stuff online. I can honestly say, Ive never overpaid for a traxxas though. I found traxxas at the same time I found online shopping.
    Pave what LHS was bad?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Umm
    I overpayed for a Nimh battery.
    $70 for a 5100mah 7cell 8.4v
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    i paid $103 for two 5000mah batteries that melted after the first run
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    Ive never done it really bad. My worst was when I paid $385 for a nitro rustler new.
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    I dont think I've ever over paid for a new RC because I've always shopped and compared
    the lowest online retail prices I could find.
    My problem is I've spent WAY too much on upgrades.

I just cant seem to leave well enough alone.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

Anyone who ever bought any rc overpaid, you always overpay for a hobby...why?...because the value of a hobby is not just in the material item but in the enjoyment derived from it and that...is PRICELESS!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy